Why become a member? ×

Greatest plectrum players/grooves

james_guitar

[quote name='lowdown' post='509286' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:26 PM']Is it? :)
The guy that played Bass on all the Hall & Oates stuff. Good tone.
Who ever that was.
Garry[/quote]
You probably mean T-bone Wolk but there have been others, including Leyland Sklar.

A lot of my favourite players use a pick - here's some more that haven't been mentioned yet:
Roger Glover
Mike Mills
Martin Turner
Paul Gardiner (Tubeway Army)
Barry Adamson

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='SteveK' post='509402' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:15 PM']Wasn't Bad Urach, Germany by any chance?[/quote]

No, he was at the Robin 2 at Bilston. He did his own stuff on Saturday night together with some Purple stuff and then on Sunday he did a whole set of Trapeze material. I had to miss the Sunday gig which was a shame, Saturday was brilliant though, as usual.

[quote name='Johngh' post='509407' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:19 PM']No, he was at the Robin 2 at Bilston. He did his own stuff on Saturday night together with some Purple stuff and then on Sunday he did a whole set of Trapeze material. I had to miss the Sunday gig which was a shame, Saturday was brilliant though, as usual.[/quote]
OK!

Saw him in Bad Urach on the 30th. Caught 4 or 5 numbers. Said he had laryngitis and should be tucked up in bed...still sounded pretty good to me.

Are pick users frowned upon? If so, don't know why that should be.

As already mentioned, plenty of good/great players use a pick.

Come on you frowners, step forward, make yourselves known...

[quote name='barry44' post='509147' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:34 PM']eric avery - janes addiction[/quote]

I saw Jane's (with Eric) last Friday night. He's still got it (even if he doesn't rock the blue dreads anymore). :) He's mostly playing a Jazz these days, but he did break out the old "Brahms" Precision for a couple of tunes.

A good night for bass, actually... Nine Inch Nails played too (it was billed as the NIN/JA tour), with the awesome Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass.

[quote name='charic' post='509316' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:42 PM']The one and only....

Dave Ellefson![/quote]

+1 one of the best IMO check out Megadeth's 'My Last Words'

[url="http://www.last.fm/music/Megadeth/_/My+Last+Words"]http://www.last.fm/music/Megadeth/_/My+Last+Words[/url]

[quote name='james_guitar' post='509123' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:18 PM']Before I get hate mail/private messages for this post; I know that using a plectrum on a bass is generally a taboo amoungst pro bassists (and I personally much prefer fingerstyle for 95 percent of musical scenarios), but IMO there are at least a few musical scenarios where a pick is a good choice of sound.

In this post I urge you to be very brave, break the taboo, take the plunge and name some of your favourite pick players or examples of songs with good plectrum tone (if those two words even go together).[/quote]

Is this for real? More than half the bassists I've known over my 29 year career have used plectrums, either 50-50 or exclusively. I'm getting thoroughly sick of people suggesting that there may be something a bit weird about using a plectrum. I'd have thought a lot more of the thread if it was just "name your favourite pick -style players", instead of making apologies about it.

As for that last para, so far as I'm concerned probably 95% of my favourite-sounding bassists use a pick. Chris Squire, Lemmy, Roger Glover, Jon Camp, JJ Burnel, Glenn Hughes, Leigh Gorman and Joey DeMaio are some that spring to mind. Then there are bassists like Anthony Jackson, Steve Swallow, Bobby Vega etc etc, and guys like Cliff Williams, Scott Thunes, McCartney, John Entwistle....has Basschat been infected with Numptyflu or something???? :)

[quote name='4000' post='509636' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:15 PM']Is this for real? More than half the bassists I've known over my 29 year career have used plectrums, either 50-50 or exclusively. I'm getting thoroughly sick of people suggesting that there may be something a bit weird about using a plectrum. I'd have thought a lot more of the thread if it was just "name your favourite pick -style players", instead of making apologies about it.

As for that last para, so far as I'm concerned probably 95% of my favourite-sounding bassists use a pick. Chris Squire, Lemmy, Roger Glover, Jon Camp, JJ Burnel, Glenn Hughes, Leigh Gorman and Joey DeMaio are some that spring to mind. Then there are bassists like Anthony Jackson, Steve Swallow, Bobby Vega etc etc, and guys like Cliff Williams, Scott Thunes, McCartney, John Entwistle....has Basschat been infected with Numptyflu or something???? :)[/quote]
Nope - I've had a good read through this thread so far and -- aside from the OP's slightly mis-guided caveat -- I can't detect any signs of pick-related Numpty Flu.
Ah the dog, the dog, he's at it again....! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stingray5' post='509667' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:31 PM']Nope - I've had a good read through this thread so far and -- aside from the OP's slightly mis-guided caveat -- I can't detect any signs of pick-related Numpty Flu.
Ah the dog, the dog, he's at it again....! :)[/quote]

Caveat Numptor? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='509292' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:31 PM']Dennis Dunaway (original Alice Cooper Group) - to my ears simply the god of pick users: [i]Gutter Cat vs The Jets, Blue Turk, Halo Of Flies, Billion Dollar Babies[/i] etc etc. Outrageously good.

Other plectrum deities (in addition to those already mentioned): JJ Burnel, Steven Severin, Tony Butler, Peter Steele, Russell Webb, Hooky, Jason Newsted. It's probably fair to say most of my favourite players are pick users.

Jon.[/quote]
+1

Love Dennis Dunaway!

And Barry Adamson, Leigh Gorman, JJ, Carol Kaye and many others already mentioned here.. I equally love lots of other bass players who don't use a pick. It's all down to how good the individual musician is IMO and how you connect with their sound and style of playing!

Nowt wrong with using a pick!

Colin Hodgkinson - uses one quite a lot! And my mate Alan Jones (ex Shadows and one of the most recorded bassists of all time) uses one extensively. Graham Gouldman of 10CC - another very notable pick man!

Some standout pick basslines (in no particular order):

1. South Side of The Sky - Chris Squire (Yes of course!)
2. Glittering Prize - Derek Forbes
3. Method of Modern Love - T Bone (Hall & Oates)
4. Cinema - Chris Squire
5. Art for Art's Sake - Graham Gouldman (10CC)

Carles Benavente, I know he's already been mentioned, but he deserves to be mentioned as many times as we can fit him into this thread!! Because he's awesome!

Flea has also done some cool picky stuff, like that one off californication, ye know the one that goes dedededededededededededudududududududadadadadadadadadadididididididididodododododododo

Also, a lot of people are pissy about people playing with a pick and we all know it, James was just stating that fact, so stop picking on him, ya mean buggers. :)

edit for the fact that I couldn't remember James' name when I wrote the post originally.

Edited by beardybass

[quote name='james_guitar' post='509123' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:18 PM']I know that using a plectrum on a bass is generally a taboo amoungst pro bassists.[/quote]

No it isn't mate and anyone that tells you that it is is either:

a) Not been playing very long

:) Listening to too many Jazz w***ers

c) a bass playing snob

d) an idiot

e) probaby all of the above.

There are no rules that say bass has to be played fingerstyle alone and in fact, anyone aspiring to be a versitile musician in my opinion should learn both styles. All you session and dep wannabes out there, this is essential. What if you got a call one day from a Jam tribute band, or even an originals band going places that really wanted a pick player? What if a studio producer insisted on a pick bassline for a song? If you'd ignore this style you'd be left high and dry.