Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Basses

pegman1

• 7 months later...

i recently sold my Geddy On Ebay for Peanuts!!! They are great basses, well built with a solid punchy growl that i've rarely found in the Mexi Jazzes i've played. It was a 2008 MIJ with super build quality and finish. A real workhorse of a bass with a super fast neck ( found the gloss finish let the speed side down a bit) I couldnt recommend it highly enough. I have been hankering after the Stingray sound for years now so i sold it to fund a Ray34 (Awesome) if i had the money again i'd buy one of these like a shot, it has to rank as Fenders best bang for the buck bass out there. :)

I had one of these from new & really wanted to like it, but I have to concede that the American basses are better.

The shaved down neck has a lovely feel to it, but suffers from it's extreme thinness. Mine would change shape in almost every weather change. I had to reset the trussrod on an almost weekly basis. The American basses with the posiflex graphite rods are a better bet, I've found.

The pickups are big on output, but they do tend to be noisy (shielding on the Japanese basses isn't quite up to the level of the current US ones) & I found the sound very "middly". Most Jazz basses give a very scooped sound, but my Geddy was definitely more mid-biased in nature.

So all in all a great looking, great to play bass with a fair sound and good output, but the neck issues put me off completely.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='725418' date='Jan 26 2010, 04:47 PM']I had one of these from new & really wanted to like it, but I have to concede that the American basses are better.

The shaved down neck has a lovely feel to it, but suffers from it's extreme thinness. Mine would change shape in almost every weather change. I had to reset the trussrod on an almost weekly basis. The American basses with the posiflex graphite rods are a better bet, I've found.

The pickups are big on output, but they do tend to be noisy (shielding on the Japanese basses isn't quite up to the level of the current US ones) & I found the sound very "middly". Most Jazz basses give a very scooped sound, but my Geddy was definitely more mid-biased in nature.

So all in all a great looking, great to play bass with a fair sound and good output, but the neck issues put me off completely.[/quote]

I think the Jazz neck on the 08/09/10 American Series is thin enough! So im glad you mentioned that. Think the Geddy might be a little too thin for me.

I have one and they're great playing and sounding basses. They look fantastic with the blocks on the neck and now you can get them in sunburst as well. But the very thin necks are very sensitive to temperature changes, which you'll notice more if you like a low action.

I was seriously tempted to get one a while back, but opted for a CIJ '75 RI Jazz - which is a really fantastic bass. Has only played both the RI 75 and then Geddy Lee and come up with a comparison between the two? Would be interested to see what (if anything) I missed out on. Cheers.