Why become a member? ×

What do I buy next?

arabassist

Hello all,

I think it's time to ditch my hollow artcore and go for a 2nd bass - a bass that has a suitable neck for my small hands and a nice slap tone. The other day i picked up a warwick and i think i experienced orgasm....and then another one when i heard the price. my budget would be max £350 so sadly the warwick is tossed out of my imagination, i've been reccomended the following:

Squier jazz, the vintage squier jazz, G&L SB2 or the OLP stingray

Any suggestions?

CHeeaaars

oh and about my budget, in a few months when i go to uni that will go up a significant amount :)

Edited by arabassist

[quote name='arabassist' post='508724' date='Jun 8 2009, 11:59 PM']what the hell....why did i not know of these![/quote]

Check this out buddy [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49900&hl=rockbass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=rockbass[/url]

Should explain it.

I think the new ones are going to be a lot nicer too, personally I hate Warwicks but one man's dripping is another mans gravy.

[quote name='arabassist' post='508645' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:26 PM']max £350, small hands and a nice slap tone[/quote]

Secondhand Jap Jazz, or New Squier Classic Vibe Jazz or a pimped pre-loved MIM Jazz...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Machines' post='508785' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:53 AM']Don't expect a Rockbass to sound much like a German Warwick. They're made of a different body, neck and fingerboard wood where a lot of the Warwick sound comes from.

That said - they are good basses :).[/quote]

The Rockbass Corvette Active i tried sounded pretty close to my German Standard. Just make sure you get an active one though! I didn't like the passsive ones i tried

Keep an eye on eBay, there should still be plenty of old German Corvettes going for up to £400. I flagged one up a while ago that went for £276 i think. Similarly i saw an Active Fortress go for £380

Hmmm.... I've always found Warwick necks to be on the difficult side of a stretchy and I like stuff like Precision's, Yammie TRBs and such. Are you sure you need a small neck?

While a Jazz of some sort is blindingly obvious don't forget stuff like Ibanez (classic skinny necks) and the Yamaha RBX range (old ones with a big number on the end!)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='511830' date='Jun 12 2009, 08:45 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51529"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51529[/url]

Rockbass Corvette SE £200 ono. Sounds like a deal to me![/quote]

If I had £200 id be all over that

[quote name='Machines' post='508785' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:53 AM']Don't expect a Rockbass to sound much like a German Warwick. They're made of a different body, neck and fingerboard wood where a lot of the Warwick sound comes from.

That said - they are good basses :).[/quote]

I started on one of those, I just didn't like the blue finish. I'd thoroughly recommend one.......n then a Cort A4, £900 bass for half the price.

when you say about the OLPs, i'd say go for the active, 2 pickup ones, but not the passive single pickup ones. the active ones are great basses, i really like mine. the single pickup ones aren't as good though, they're ok, passable, but theres nothing that makes them stand out, and you can get much better for that price.

[quote name='horribleman' post='508796' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:19 AM']ibanez sr500 could be a good bet[/quote]

+10000000000 the ibanez sr500 is fantastic. there are 2 basses ive got that i will never sell, one that i built on a shuker course for £990, and my ibanez Sr500. i can't fault the SR500, my dad complains its too light and the necks too thin, but i really like that. but thats the only fault with the sr500 i can think of, its amazing sounding, great looking IMO, very versatile, and just an all round great bass. for the money you have, i'd say the sr500 is your best bet.