Why become a member? ×

I'm gonna be playing Bass Live on the TV

SimBass

Hi all,
In case anyone is interested I'm going to be playing bass live on BBC1 on Sunday morning between 10am and 11am.
I play at a big church in Peterborough called KingsGate Community church and our Penticost Service is going to be broadcast Live on the BBC...I'm very nervous but I'm sure It will be great fun. It's not your traditional sort of church so lots of lively/funky music...I'll be the one with the bass (6 String fretless Warwick and MarkBass Amp) so take a look and any constructive (or not so constructive) feedback gladly received!

BBC1 Sunday 31st May 10am-11am

[attachment=26100:BBC.png]

I played one and a half minutes of jazz on the National Lottery Live in 1994. The piece opened with 12 bars of walking bass with the camera on me throughout - full screen.

When I went to work on Monday, everyone had seen the programme but noone had recognised me (except an offender who appeared in reception on the following Thursday). So much for 15 minutes of fame! :)

Simon!

How's it going mate?

it's Phil (Mimo's friend) i use to go to that church man. killin' the 6 warwick still is good to see...

i havnt been on here in time...

whats the score with the programme whats it on?? i would watch but i got a gospel gig in london.. so im tied up! i need to come down sometime in the summer... ive been livin in london for the last year..

Hope ur well n the kids n all that

Phil

Well it's not my thing at all but you can see the show again on the BBC iPlayer. SimBass is obscured by a large female much of the time on the wide shots.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kvgmt/Thats_the_Spirit!/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kv...he_Spirit!/[/url]

Oddly enough, I watched this. Got all excited telling my missus how someone from BassChat was playing. Even kept pointing you out saying "there he is! there he is!". She just looked at me like I was nuts.

Not my scene, but the bass sounded excellent, so well done there. I would have been put off by all those people pulling cum-faces and holding out their arms.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='502413' date='May 31 2009, 05:56 PM']I would have been put off by all those people pulling cum-faces and holding out their arms.[/quote]

I had a paid gig for a church a while ago and I felt uncomfortable with that!

Hey all, thanks so much for all the kind comments... It was quite an experience which I doubt I will ever have again...great fun!

@docter_of_the_bass
your right...I do remember you being there when I tried the head out, you told me I wouldn't regret buying it...I bought it and didn't regret it...I also got the Markbass 151p speaker cab too all of which I used yesterday...I'm really please with the tone as it came over on the TV...I don't know if you remember the cab I used to try it out, but if you do you'll be pleased to know that I have since covered it so that it no longer looks like a coffee table.

@philsimmonds
Hey Phil, long time no see. Mimo was playing on the middle two songs if you get a chance to catch it on the iplayer. Unfortunately if you came to the church you wouldn't actually see me cause I've had to move about 20 miles north of Peterborough now (for work) so I go to a local smaller church...Strangely no-one else in the entire church will play bass (playing in that venue is a bit intimidating at first) so they asked me to come back for this.

A few of you mentioned how it isn't your cup of tea...to be honest its not my cup of tea genre wise...but obviously as I Christian I enjoy it from that perspective. The first two songs were fun to play but the more ballad-type ones can be a bit of a drag. I'm more into jazz and funk so I just throw in a bit of funk when I get the chance. The Electric guitarist (standing next to me) is also a bit of a funk fan so we have a laugh...check out his James Brown Chords in the Bridge of the second song...you'll know it when you hear it. Unfortunately there's not much of a scene for churches with funky big bands, anyone fancy setting one up?

@benwhiteuk
Is that true???? my life is complete....I usually listen but I believe I was changing my sons nappy at that point this morning.

Overall it was a great time ...despite the 8 hour rehearsal the day before...and I'm well chuffed with the tone on the TV...I'm just please I was in tune!

If someone were to put out those songs as an album, although perhaps change the lyrics, it would probably be better than most of the stuff out there at the moment. Also, great bass playing on the second song (it's how far i've got through listening). You definitely manage the whole being supportive, but without disappearing role which is what i aim for.

Edit: just flicked part a religious bit, mostly due to being jewish, and ended up with it displaying the line 'mould me, fill me, use me', and thought they were now switching to singing songs by The Who.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='SimBass' post='502837' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:28 AM']@benwhiteuk
Is that true???? my life is complete....I usually listen but I believe I was changing my sons nappy at that point this morning.[/quote]

you could probably listen to his show again on the BBC iPlayer thing, just skip to about an hour an 10 minutes into it...

[quote name='Zach' post='502843' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:34 AM']If someone were to put out those songs as an album, although perhaps change the lyrics, it would probably be better than most of the stuff out there at the moment. Also, great bass playing on the second song (it's how far i've got through listening). You definitely manage the whole being supportive, but without disappearing role which is what i aim for.[/quote]

All those songs are realesed on various albums it just that the whole Christian thing puts people off so they only get seen in Christian organisations...I've just heard from a friend that when Chris Moyles was talking about it he said he wanted to play "Happy Day" (the version from yesterday played during the baptisms - not the original) on the radio cause he really liked it.

"You definitely managed the whole being supportive, but without disappearing role which is what i aim for."
Really appreciate that...that's exactly what I aim for too.

[quote name='benwhiteuk']you could probably listen to his show again on the BBC iPlayer thing, just skip to about an hour an 10 minutes into it...[/quote]
will do...thanks

[quote name='51m0n' post='502865' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:59 AM']That is so not my bag (the whole God thing, you know :)) but, fantastic tone on the second track, and how did you get away with being that prominent in the mix mate, theres a choir, you and a drummer :rolleyes: nice one![/quote]

Thanks...Well I left my LMII completely flat...(+ about 10% on the VPF)...my Warwick tone was flat too with a bit more emphasis on the bridge pickup.
So it's thanks to good equipment and the BBC crew, who were great...they put so much effort into what was just a 1 hour show (at not prime time) so really it was them that did all the work

Well someone at the BBC likes your bass sound then :)

In reality I guess its a mix catering for pants TV speakers, but the result is that on headphones and decent speakers your bass is super clear.

Not a lot wrong with an LMII flat, or your Warwick either, then. Nice!

I listened to the first two and yeah, really enjoyed the playing and tone on them.

I can understand what you mean about people being put off by the Christian theme.

Personally, it's not my scene, but I do think the Yanks really do know how to do Gospel etc. so much better than we do. Everybody from the musicians to the choir, the preacher to the congregation. They all completely immerse themselves in it. When I see anything in the UK, it all looks a bit stilted, almost as if they're meant to look like they're really into it, yet at the same time still being a bit reserved as if clapping hands or holding their arms in the air is enough.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='502876' date='Jun 1 2009, 12:14 PM']Personally, it's not my scene, but I do think the Yanks really do know how to do Gospel etc. so much better than we do. Everybody from the musicians to the choir, the preacher to the congregation. They all completely immerse themselves in it. When I see anything in the UK, it all looks a bit stilted, almost as if they're meant to look like they're really into it, yet at the same time still being a bit reserved as if clapping hands or holding their arms in the air is enough.[/quote]

In my head all american gospel services are like the one in the blues brothers. Unfortunately, this means i'd never actually go to one for fear of being dissapointed.