Why become a member? ×

I'm gonna be playing Bass Live on the TV

SimBass

[quote name='Hamster' post='503049' date='Jun 1 2009, 04:40 PM']The second track really stood out. I thought you were running a silent stage until I noticed your yellow Markbass - were most musicians DI'd straight into the desk with in-ears foldback?[/quote]
It was a semi silent stage, All musicians and non-choir singers had in ears...unfortunately the in ears we use have never given me enough low end to to tune a fretless B string, so my cab is only loud enough for a bit of personal low end monitoring.
The Electric guitarist (next to me) also has his tube amp miced ( although most of his crunch comes from a Line 6 Pro floor pedal thing - so the amp isn't that loud)
Also you'll notice that the on stage choir have wedges around them since we don't have enough in ears for an entire choir. The wedges at the front of the stage of for people talking only ...they are off while the music is playing.
But apart from the electric guitar (and of course sax/violin) everything that could be DI'd was DI'd...I was using the built in LMII DI.
If your interested in that sort of stuff then you may be interested to know that we use a click track for all tracks (although only the drummer and anyone playing an intro without drums) have the click in the mix. It took a while to get used to but hopefully now it doesn't sound clinical at all and I don't think anyone notices, it really helps to keep tight on such a big stage (remembering that on an average Sunday we don't have two huge camera rigs flying over our heads and taking up a quarter of the stage)

I agree with the in-ears being insufficient for bass. I tried a pretty swish Aviom system - [url="http://www.aviom.com/Applications-1/Monitor-Mixing.cfm?ref=homebutton"]http://www.aviom.com/Applications-1/Monito...?ref=homebutton[/url] which was brilliant on stage. I played with a floor transducer so I 'felt' the bass below certain frequencies. Only problem was that it kind of makes your top-of-the-range rig and the guitarists Mesa Dual Rectifier kind of redundant!