Why become a member? ×

music man stingrays

stevieb85

are they really as good as everyone says??

im currently in the market for an aerodyne but the guitarist and drummer in my band demand i get a stingray, and the nearest music shop to me where i can try one out is about a 5 hour drive away... so guys im looking to you for your opinion.

im not sure what model to go for, i just know i wont end up goin for the lower range like the Subs

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495794' date='May 23 2009, 08:51 AM']the guitarist and drummer in my band demand i get a stingray[/quote]
Worrying statement! :)

Choose the bass that feels and sounds right for you.

Rays are great at doing that biting funk sound but can be heavy and some people don't like the chunkiness of the neck. On the up side, the sound does cut through the mix well. You could try a Sterling which is a bit smaller or maybe a G&L Tribute L2000 - same sound, more variation, much lighter, much cheaper.

But overall don't let the band choose your bass!

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495794' date='May 23 2009, 08:51 AM']are they really as good as everyone says??[/quote]

Yes! :)

They are good. There well made, comfortable necks and big output. Versatile, IMHO no. They do what they do and do it great. (Saying that I've never owned a fancy HH model). After years of owning Stingrays and Precisions I've settled with the Fender simply because I prefer the midrange thump you get with a Pbass. If money was no problem I'd have a Ray any day of the week.

its not that im letting them choose my bass, however before i started playing in the band i played guitar and knew nothing about bass, and the last two basses i bought along with my bass rig were through their advise.
the reason im lookin at the aerodyne is completly cosmetic and the only time i have heard one i thought it sounded great.

saldy im not flush enough to buy a stingray new so will be lookin for a second hand stingray

'Rays are excellent and do what they say on tin. They are well made, play excellently and have a great sound. However, they sound like Stingrays and if that isn't what you like then you're in trouble, there is also a difference in tone between the 2 band and 3 band EQ, I prefer the more trad sounding 2 band, but that's me. They also have a tendency to be very heavy. With regard to the SUBs, don't dismiss these as they are awesome. I've owned a SUB, a full on 3 band 'Ray and a 'Ray5 and the only one I've still got is the SUB. What worries me more is that your other band members are telling you what to buy, did you tell them what guitar and drum kit they had to have? Get what suits you best and in [i][b]your opinion[/b][/i] is best for the kind of music you play.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495812' date='May 23 2009, 09:33 AM']saldy im not flush enough to buy a stingray new so will be lookin for a second hand stingray[/quote]
Second hand is much much better way to go at the mo - you'll get one at a good price. Under £600 maybe.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='495816' date='May 23 2009, 09:39 AM']Second hand is much much better way to go at the mo - you'll get one at a good price. Under £600 maybe.[/quote]

Wouldn't sell mine for £600 or less. Faaaarrr tooooo niiiiccceeee :)

4 string 3 bands usually go for around £700, 5s for £850.

Personally, the best Stingray I ever owned was my 30th Anniversary but it was far too beautiful to consider gigging in pubs. The punchiest, growliest, gnarliest bass sound I ever had from any of the Stingrays I owned and the reason my Warmoth has a mahogany body.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='495855' date='May 23 2009, 10:25 AM']4 string 3 bands usually go for around £700, 5s for £850.

Personally, the best Stingray I ever owned was my 30th Anniversary but it was far too beautiful to consider gigging in pubs. The punchiest, growliest, gnarliest bass sound I ever had from any of the Stingrays I owned and the reason my Warmoth has a mahogany body.[/quote]

I was looking at a MM 06 LTD great bass, very in your face tone, but at £1400 alot of dosh. Im glad that deal never worked, as i have a sadowsky, which has all the MM and fender tones and many others in one solidly built bass. Well worth trying one, there are one or two in the for sale bit. Not cheap mind still £1100 + 2nd hand, but its great, and the recording quality is amazing and the slap recording is very cool, as you have lots of bottom and searing highs, and no need to tweek the eq at all it sits in the mix great, even bass on bass (bass line and solo) they both cut through and seem to stay sperate and defind with minimal tweeking during recording and playback. never heard that in a bass B4 regarding the slap sound. Have done a couple of slap things with it, when i get a chance to mix it, convert it to mp3 and bung it on my website, ill put the link! Alas a gigging weekend, then painting the house all next week will keep that on hold for a few more days! Also try a GL2000 all the MM and more at half the price.

GP.

Edited by greyparrot

I think second hand stingray prices are going up at the moment, i've seen second hand 4 string rays selling for around £750-800 recently. Last summer they were selling for around £500 on ebay, absolute bargains at that price.

They are truely great basses though. Not the sort of bass you'd see a solo bassist playing but in a band situation they're pretty much unbeatable. And they're rock solid, unlikely to have any problems when gigging, a proper workhorse bass.

I would recommend trying out as many Stingrays, Sterlings and Bongos as you can before making a decision. See which one fits your tone and feel.

My advice is to buy Jobiebass's Trans red ray from the for sale section!

It used to be mine and i regret selling it! its light, plays great and is a fantastic example of what a ray should be, plus buying second hand means you will pretty much get what you paid for it if you decide to sell, making it a no risk situation!

:)

[quote name='greyparrot' post='495864' date='May 23 2009, 10:37 AM']I was looking at a MM 06 LTD great bass, very in your face tone, but at £1400 alot of dosh. Im glad that deal never worked, as i have a sadowsky, which has all the MM and fender tones and many others in one solidly built bass. Well worth trying one, there are one or two in the for sale bit. Not cheap mind still £1100 + 2nd hand, but its great, and the recording quality is amazing and the slap recording is very cool, as you have lots of bottom and searing highs, and no need to tweek the eq at all it sits in the mix great, even bass on bass (bass line and solo) they both cut through and seem to stay sperate and defind with minimal tweeking during recording and playback. never heard that in a bass B4 regarding the slap sound. Have done a couple of slap things with it, when i get a chance to mix it, convert it to mp3 and bung it on my website, ill put the link! Alas a gigging weekend, then painting the house all next week will keep that on hold for a few more days! Also try a GL2000 all the MM and more at half the price.

GP.[/quote]

+1 couldn't agree more about Sadowsky basses!

ooh, quite recently I was in your position. I was stuck between a fender american standard jazz and a musicman. I had £1000 from my grandfather's will (he always liked music, so I thought a new bass was in order) and I went into GAK, tried out all the fender jazzes (american standard - £769 new) and then tried the stingrays (about £1100 new) and I decided that it wasn't worth the extra £300 when I could go and get a BMS with the extra money.
Sorry for ther long boring story but bottom line was that I play a mixture of worship half-rock music @ church and semi-heavy band stuff. The jazz seemed to cover both nicely, and I could still melt people's minds at gigs with my BMS

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495794' date='May 23 2009, 08:51 AM']are they really as good as everyone says??

im currently in the market for an aerodyne but the guitarist and drummer in my band demand i get a stingray, and the nearest music shop to me where i can try one out is about a 5 hour drive away... so guys im looking to you for your opinion.

im not sure what model to go for, i just know i wont end up goin for the lower range like the Subs[/quote]

Dude that ain't right...no band should EVER demand you get a specific bass.
What do they know about it that it's good for you / the band?
Most guitarists are dumb when it comes to bass as they forget we don't cover our sound with distortion so I'd be interested in how he knows a Stingray is right.

Get a bass you like.
Plus, if you wana real 'Ray, prepare to pay over £1000 and that's for ONE pickup!

[quote name='Kongo' post='495920' date='May 23 2009, 11:29 AM']Dude that ain't right...no band should EVER demand you get a specific bass.
What do they know about it that it's good for you / the band?
Most guitarists are dumb when it comes to bass as they forget we don't cover our sound with distortion so I'd be interested in how he knows a Stingray is right.

Get a bass you like.
Plus, if you wana real 'Ray, prepare to pay over £1000 and that's for ONE pickup![/quote]

tbh the guys in the band know their stuff and know what i like better than i do lol

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='495910' date='May 23 2009, 11:19 AM']try an Ibanez ATK.[/quote]
Haha...seen that French kid before. He's mad. Great player though and goes to show that a lot of it's in the fingers.

That said, you can get the SR sound out of the ATKs easily. Great basses.

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495929' date='May 23 2009, 11:35 AM']tbh the guys in the band know their stuff and know what i like better than i do lol[/quote]

KNow thier stuff as in "This band uses a Stingray and we want that sound" but hopw do they know your fingers and flesh?
You could buy a Stingray and it sound nothing like it should.
Plus you might not even like it or be able to play it properly.

I still say decide yourself. I know my guitars as much as basses but I'd never tell a guitarist to get this just because I said so.

I LOVE stingrays.

Hence my signature.

Yes...its a certain tone...but wow, I love that tone. Its one of the three classic tones I always wanted. EG Passive Fender P bass, Passsive Fender J bass, EB MM Stingray.

Cuts through so well...and brilliant for punk/rock/metal/hardcore/funk etc.

I love them....they are fairly heavy...but comfortable. I love the way they look as well.

Useful advice here.

It surprises me how variable MM basses can be. Some guys on here have a few.

I'd say don't restrict your list of possibilities - try lots of basses. If you buy at a sensible price you can easily move it on if you change your mind.

[quote name='guyl' post='496051' date='May 23 2009, 02:27 PM']Useful advice here.

It surprises me how variable MM basses can be. Some guys on here have a few.

I'd say don't restrict your list of possibilities - try lots of basses. If you buy at a sensible price you can easily move it on if you change your mind.[/quote]

I was once told i had to buy a bass to fit the band. Was a 1962 squire p bass many years ago (re issue) sunburst. It was ok though, was a shadows tribute band, and played in it and met many of the old r'n'rollers! great. But then, i coud'nt really do that band with an overwater huh! Ask them their reason for saying you have to have a MM. Some basses just are not for some players. If there is no great reason, i personally would get what was right for me, im sure this would be better for them too. Not good having a sound you dont like forced on you.

GP.

If its all about a certain sound that a certain bass player had on a certain album then forget about it.

Personally Rickenbackers sound hee haw like Chris Squire, Stingrays sound nothing like stingrays and so on. I can get my Wamoth bass to sound more like a Rick than I could get my Rick to sound like a Rick.

I've been everywhere from A to Z (excluding Alembic and Zon :) ) and its all about trying different stuff.

Nothing is as it seems.