Why become a member? ×

English translations of BP mag

I speak English and find that I have occasional problems understanding language used in Bass player magazine. In recent times they seem to increasingly refer to "props" and "the hang". What do they mean?
On the new look of the magazine; larger print = less content. I suppose it's recession friendly!

I've always been faintly amused by the use of the word 'chops' to describe one's ability. And especially by phrases like "his chops are happening".
When I was a lad, 'chops' were something you got from the butcher. And if your chops were happening, it meant your tea was ready. I remember when all this were fields, and so on.

[quote name='ARGH' post='492842' date='May 20 2009, 12:06 AM']My fave Yank word in music is 'Shedding'.......[/quote]

...as in "[i]shedding[/i] any desire to communicate like an adult"

I offer you:

"Tonemeister"

"Maven of Metal"

"Dialling in my signature sound"

"Spanking my axe"

"Hammering my awesome, blazing chops into the sticksman's pocket"*

[size=1]* I made that last one up. Sorry.[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='owen' post='492939' date='May 20 2009, 08:08 AM']Plays like butter.

That is the best one.[/quote]

Is that in the same kind of area as "built like a tank"?

Every other review on Harmony Central describes the product as "built like a tank". Gibson Les Paul: "built like a tank". Oh yeah? Try dropping it from a height of three feet.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='492944' date='May 20 2009, 08:26 AM']Try dropping it from a height of three feet.[/quote]

...on the headstock...

As for playing like butter... is that when it's soft or when its hard and unspreadable?

I found "growl" a BS comment also. Everybody has a different sound in their heard when this term is used... hence making it somewhat useless.

It's all good though, with a new expensive power cable, you can fool your ears into believing that you are hearing more from your gear...

As for harmony central, I love it when the metallers write stuff like - "It sounds sh*t. It feeds back at ever opportunity. I don't really dig the looks either..."

Style of music played? Metal.
Guitar reviewed? Hofner jazz box.

This world is full of retards.

Edited by EBS_freak

That said, Brit guitar mags always go about 'bags of sustain'.

Would that be a Sainsbury's bag? A Gladstone bag? Or one of those little handbags French blokes used to carry?

[i][size=1]Frenchman without handbag...looks so wrong[/size][/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

My pet hate is "I need to shed", "Get some shedding in" or "It was a great hang" and do you "fancy a hang later?". Most likely there are other "Hip" NY jazz player words/phrases that annoy me also. I don't think I would mind if it wasn't some geeky 18 year old English kid who has just started playing jazz and is only using the words as it makes them more "hip".

[quote name='Mikey D' post='493219' date='May 20 2009, 01:09 PM']My pet hate is "I need to shed", "Get some shedding in" or "It was a great hang" and do you "fancy a hang later?". Most likely there are other "Hip" NY jazz player words/phrases that annoy me also.[/quote]

Are we talking US or UK here?

Jon Herrera is no wannabe. He has some serious bass playing ability...

I hate people using the term "cats" when describing non-felines. Also, the propensity to use the term "NYC" rather than New York or New York City. Jan Hammer likes to slip a "NYC" in every column he writes for BGM.

"Shedding" is another one I hate. It sounds like the type of thing you'd do in a "Cottage" on Hampstead Heath.

Obviously, anyone using the term "Dawg" should be shot in the face. Also, I agree with Rich about "chops".

...and I know I've said this before, but why do bass journalists have to keep writing "dial in a passable Marcus/Jaco/Clarke impersonation"?? If I wanted to "dial in" I'd get a job down the GPO.

Kids huh?!

Edited by BigBeefChief

[quote name='maxrossell' post='493237' date='May 20 2009, 01:25 PM']Shed? Hang?

I must confess it's been a while since I read a bass mag, what are these terms supposed to mean?[/quote]

"Shedding" means being forced by the missus to practise at the bottom of the garden. ;-)

Edited by Earbrass