Why become a member? ×

£1500 or so on a 5 string bass

greyparrot

what would you go for and why? I like the fender jazz basses, and today tried a stingray 5 and that was the first ever one i liked it was an 05 LTE. Are they different to the normal stingray 5? Many people say sadowsky? thoughts? how close to fender do they sound?

Thanks

Rich.

Id go for a Sandberg m8.
Tried a california JM5 the other day and it was just sublime! single coil pickup at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge. I could get a really FAT sound from it. Iv got a 1975 fender jazz and the sandberg completely kicked the absolute crap out of it in terms of sound and playability!

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='491784' date='May 18 2009, 07:56 PM']I want one of these at the moment but don't have the money.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_victor_bailey_jazz_bassv_b_stock.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_victor_bai...ssv_b_stock.htm[/url]

It's what i'd have if I were in your position anyway.[/quote]

That is stunning what is it? well at this point i have a C/s jazz that im looking to trade for a 5 so thats its worth, and would like views. I do lots of recording, and play in a party duo (chic/sister sledge etc)

With regard the bongo, i tried one a four, it was fantastic!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='491788' date='May 18 2009, 08:00 PM']That is stunning what is it? well at this point i have a C/s jazz that im looking to trade for a 5 so thats its worth, and would like views. I do lots of recording, and play in a party duo (chic/sister sledge etc)

With regard the bongo, i tried one a four, it was fantastic![/quote]Its a Fender Victor Bailey Sig bass..i love them, never played one mind..The stingray 5's are awsome!!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='491798' date='May 18 2009, 08:07 PM']Its a Fender Victor Bailey Sig bass..i love them, never played one mind..The stingray 5's are awsome!!![/quote]

whats your sadowsky rv5 like? was that what you offered on a trade for my fender? can you give me an idea about them please?

Thanks mate.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='491802' date='May 18 2009, 08:09 PM']whats your sadowsky rv5 like? was that what you offered on a trade for my fender? can you give me an idea about them please?

Thanks mate.[/quote]
Well even though i did offer to trade, i will say its pretty awsome, you can have a Fender sound, if you fiddle and put it in passive mode..Or you can make the most of the Sadowsky pre amp, which is something special..Very very light for a five string aswell..

I keep uming and aahhing about my basses..I need to shut up and enjoy them..

[quote name='Monz' post='491795' date='May 18 2009, 08:05 PM']Bongo 5 HH is where it's at for that money IMO[/quote]

+1

I had a HS and the tones you could get was UNTRUE! if your recording with it, it sounds like a good option to me, can dial anything from a Jazz sound to a 'ray sound. Id go for the HH though for more tone options. Unless you play slap.. then id stay away. thats the only reason I got rid of my HS, neck pickup was far too close to the neck, bad technique? probably, but its much closer then any other HS, or jazz neck pickup ive played.

Id prob try and pick one up 2nd hand tho, looking £800-900 if prices havent changed much since I bought and sold mine. Seam to hold their 2nd hand value too.

A Status S2-Classic headless bolt-on, with custom 16.5mm spacing.

I've been gassing for one of these for a while now. Really into graphite necks and a retro, hi-fi sound. Also love the idea of going headless, as I know my left shoulder will thank me for it...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='491807' date='May 18 2009, 08:15 PM']Well even though i did offer to trade, i will say its pretty awsome, you can have a Fender sound, if you fiddle and put it in passive mode..Or you can make the most of the Sadowsky pre amp, which is something special..Very very light for a five string aswell..

I keep uming and aahhing about my basses..I need to shut up and enjoy them..[/quote]

Cool. What would you say is its worth? also can you resend me some photos of it again? even if youv changed your mind, would like to see it when you have time, and some close ups, bridge/neck/back of bass etc.

Thanks

Rich.

Roscoe Century Standard. Although I think it will hit you a bit harder than 1500 now (due to exchange rate nonsense)

Fantastic tone, ridiculously playable, light as a feather.

To hear it have a listen to the first track on my myspace page (What It Is).

Its all my Roscoe.

Looks lovely too (not too much of a bling bass IMO)....

[quote name='51m0n' post='493263' date='May 20 2009, 01:50 PM']Roscoe Century Standard. Although I think it will hit you a bit harder than 1500 now (due to exchange rate nonsense)

Fantastic tone, ridiculously playable, light as a feather.

To hear it have a listen to the first track on my myspace page (What It Is).

Its all my Roscoe.

Looks lovely too (not too much of a bling bass IMO)....[/quote]

Got a fantastic sadowsky RV5 :)

[quote name='thegreenman555' post='493411' date='May 20 2009, 04:29 PM']you want a 5 string for £1500 or less? Hmm I could point you to one that's worth about that, but going for a song.. check out my GL L2500 in the 'for sale' section! tons of options on sound, & Leo Fenders very last word on the bass.. a beauty! ;-)[/quote]

Did see it, and commented on it on the trad. I have a Sadowsky now, and very happy. Thanks chaps all.

Lakland Darry Jones 5, I've played a couple and they're stunning (PTP's especially).
If you can stretch a bit, I'd say [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49374&st=0&#entry493751"]this[/url]...

[quote name='simon1964' post='492718' date='May 19 2009, 09:28 PM']Shuker!

You won't get any better for £1,500 IMO.[/quote]
...but obviously I've got to say +1 to this too! :) It depends if you want to go along the custom route really.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='493916' date='May 21 2009, 07:39 AM']Glad you're enjoying your Sadowsky, Rich :) You should have never sold me the cocobolo/phenowood Status, methinks![/quote]

HI no i dont regreat it i like tha jazz and fender type basses. The sadowsky has a fantastic slap sound and the rest. I did find the status a little too bright and middley, i do like big bottom end and sparlkly high end. But glad your enjoying that bass, its a cracker!!

GP.