Why become a member? ×

Help & advice

Hello, after a long on going illness I posted a question about the value of my basses in order to possibly sell, I've been out of the game for that long due to said illness I have no clue (think C) and just wanted some sound advice before deciding on it. 

For some reason my post has been either removed or moved, if you can't ask for help and advice on this site where can you get advice. 

Seems a bit odd? 

There is a sub-section called Wotzit Worth for this very purpose, way down in the For Sale section, did you put your post there or in another section?

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

There is a sub-section called Wotzit Worth for this very purpose, way down in the For Sale section, did you put your post there or in another section?

No put it in General discussions sorry, as said been out of the game long time. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

...For some reason my post has been either removed or moved ...

There is a subscription charge for placing 'For Sale' ads in the marketplace (£7 for a 'one-off' ad, £20 for a whole year of unlimited ad posting...). All too often, a 'What's it worth..?' post comes up, which looks very much like an underhand 'For Sale' ad, but without paying the fee. That's probably why your post has gone. What's the answer..? Firstly, look up prices in the BC Marketplace for equivalent instruments, or on other sales outlets, and judge for yourself. If you want/need advice, no photos, no mention of selling, and a simple description of make, model and year will get a 'ball-park' figure, without transgression. Once you have a sum in mind, pay the fee for the service that suits you and place a 'For Sale' ad. Hope this helps... :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There is a subscription charge for placing 'For Sale' ads in the marketplace (£7 for a 'one-off' ad, £20 for a whole year of unlimited ad posting...). All too often, a 'What's it worth..?' post comes up, which looks very much like an underhand 'For Sale' ad, but without paying the fee. That's probably why your post has gone. What's the answer..? Firstly, look up prices in the BC Marketplace for equivalent instruments, or on other sales outlets, and judge for yourself. If you want/need advice, no photos, no mention of selling, and a simple description of make, model and year will get a 'ball-park' figure, without transgression. Once you have a sum in mind, pay the fee for the service that suits you and place a 'For Sale' ad. Hope this helps... :friends:

Thanks for that.... this probably would have been the route I took but as my 2 basses are relatively rare and my health has prevented me from keeping in touch I genuinely have no idea, I thought a bit of friendly expert advice would help me in this process but it seems for some reason not to be the case. 

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Can't find the sub-section you mention? 

1 minute ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

Thanks for that.... this probably would have been the route I took but as my 2 basses are relatively rare and my health has prevented me from keeping in touch I genuinely have no idea, I thought a bit of friendly expert advice would help me in this process but it seems for some reason not to be the case. 

Cheers 

Post again, in the form that I recommended, and I'm sure help and advice will come. :friends:

Hi Cygnus x-1. Can't give any advice on value or where to advertise etc. I would say though that only sell if you really need to. I was diagnosed with the big C 7 years ago, when I searched the internet, don't do it, the prognosis for my condition was 2 yrs. I go every 3 months for consultations, and have just moved from 6 monthly to annual PET scans. Every day I play my basses before I go downstairs after getting up. It is a great relief. I have subscribed to a couple of online teachers and am following their courses.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

Hello, after a long on going illness I posted a question about the value of my basses in order to possibly sell, I've been out of the game for that long due to said illness I have no clue (think C) and just wanted some sound advice before deciding on it. 

For some reason my post has been either removed or moved, if you can't ask for help and advice on this site where can you get advice.

This is covered in the forum rules:

2024-05-16-19-30-56.png.4278429a559bc5766d218cd28af807e3.png

So the advice is to check sites like reverb, ebay, and basschat for similar current/previous listings.

E.g.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/81547069-squier-matt-freeman-signature-precision-bass-2012-2015-vintage-white

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/461107-sold-squier-matt-freeman-precision-bass-vintage-white/

One thing to bear in mind is that the asking price seen in adverts isn't necessarily the final sale price, as the seller might have accepted an offer.

Let’s just help the fella out… I’ve emailed, you can message me back and I’ll do what I can to help you. 

If you want a bureaucracy free sale then you can call up BassBros or if it’s vintage stuff, then try Andy Baxter.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Let’s just help the fella out… I’ve emailed, you can message me back and I’ll do what I can to help you. 

If you want a bureaucracy free sale then you can call up BassBros or if it’s vintage stuff, then try Andy Baxter.

Well done Lawrie 👍

• Like 1

Many thanks guys for the friendly and helpful advice, I'm not looking for sympathy as everyone has their problems and to those who've offered help I'll be in touch. 

Much appreciated Nick. 

This is horrible to read. 

I’m not sure I’d be able to help, but happy to try. Will @ BassBros is a great guy too. However, if you can - I’d try and keep one at least. Something to focus on etc. 

• Like 1

Well I just don't believe it...... 

I had my first question rightly removed because I made a mistake so... 

I edited my post as per Dad3353 instructions, no pics, no mention of sale etc. and it's been removed again!! 

We're not all experts and it's surprising how much you lose and forget with considerable time out, so whoever is removing my question for advice, please explain in simple English what I'm doing wrong? 

Be easier to leave the moonies, I'm off to take my meds. 

Hi, sorry you have been led to belive by people here that there are 'ways round' the rules here, but there aren't.

Regardless of what people may say, the rule here, is as is describe above, and in the 0 point warning you got. There is a blanket ban on any non supporting member posting a 'whats it worth' post on the forum due to frequent attempts to get round paying for an advert.

There is no way of rephrasing the request to get past the rules because it is still the same thing.

As mentioned, you can see what others have gone for, or just sell it and see what you get offered - I find if you ask someone what something is worth, that doesn't always have a bearing on what you will get for it at the moment, which appears quite a lot lower than peoples belief in somethings worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hi, sorry you have been led to belive by people here that there are 'ways round' the rules here, but there aren't.

Regardless of what people may say, the rule here, is as is describe above, and in the 0 point warning you got. There is a blanket ban on any non supporting member posting a 'whats it worth' post on the forum due to frequent attempts to get round paying for an advert.

There is no way of rephrasing the request to get past the rules because it is still the same thing.

As mentioned, you can see what others have gone for, or just sell it and see what you get offered - I find if you ask someone what something is worth, that doesn't always have a bearing on what you will get for it at the moment, which appears quite a lot lower than peoples belief in somethings worth.

Thanks for that I do appreciate it. 

Trouble is I'm not asking 'what it's worth'.... what I'm trying to get my head around is have I got something special or... fit for the local charity shop?

I'm in many forums for various interests and this one although very informative does make seeking advice extremely difficult! 

Any question could be considered a potential for a sale. 

If I were to talk about a nice Jag or a rare antique on any other forum how would I sell it if some knowledgeable person gave me advice without actually advertising it? 

I just followed Dad3353 advice. 

As for 0 points warning, what the hell does that mean?

I really do despair at the pettyness and assumptions made about me, is it entirely possible sometimes someone is asking a genuine question because they don't know the answer? 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

I'm not asking 'what it's worth'.... what I'm trying to get my head around is have I got something special or... fit for the local charity shop?

Assuming I remember the details from the original thread correctly, they are neither rare unicorns nor completely worthless. If I had them, and they were stock and in good condition, I would try to sell them.

58 minutes ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

As for 0 points warning, what the hell does that mean?

It means you broke one of the rules that were laid out, this is a warning about it but it isn't considered something that causes any real problem and is most likely because you didn't read the rules. Which is what the 0 point warning said that was sent to you and you acknowledged getting

Part of that is because of a specific problem we have where this is funded it was decided that too many closet sales are done this way.

and in the message it says just to search the forum and see what the same thing went for. The exact same thing you are trying to get a value for has been sold several times before for almost the same price each time (apart from modifications which rarely add any value).

58 minutes ago, Cygnus x-1 said:

I really do despair at the pettyness and assumptions made about me, is it entirely possible sometimes someone is asking a genuine question because they don't know the answer? 

Who was making any assumptions? You broke one of the rules and it was flagged, like if anyone broke the rules and was flagged, noone is making it about you.