Why become a member? ×

Need advice on this bass & amp please.

SimonC

Hi all, looking for a bit advice.

I don't have a bass as yet, and have never played one, but at the age of 58 thought I would give it a go. Just for in the house use, I've got no aspirations of anything beyond that.

I'm looking to buy used, and going to have a look at a used Squire p bass (affinity) and Fender rumble 25 on Friday.
He's looking for £130, is that a decent price? The price is about what I want to pay tbh.
They both look in excellent condition, and says very little use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Like 3

Welcome to the club. The price is good :)

It might need a setup, but you can teach yourself to do that by following a YT video. It possibly could do with new strings, but perhaps not.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Squier Affinity P... £80-£100, 25 Rumble whatever version has got to be £25-30 all day long.... I'd try £100 the pair! Ha!

Nowt wrong with an affinity P!

20231205_212943.thumb.jpg.429bfc8631c04ea0ec828ef9a8e33ddf.jpg

20240309_134934.thumb.jpg.dd8ed0e0c796f57fd54d641f49b18fcb.jpg

Id say 'Go For It'

Where abouts are you?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Squier Affinity P... £80-£100, 25 Rumble whatever version has got to be £25-30 all day long.... I'd try £100 the pair! Ha!

Nowt wrong with an affinity P!

20231205_212943.thumb.jpg.429bfc8631c04ea0ec828ef9a8e33ddf.jpg

20240309_134934.thumb.jpg.dd8ed0e0c796f57fd54d641f49b18fcb.jpg

Id say 'Go For It'

Where abouts are you?

I'm in Consett, Co. Durham.

The rumble 25 seems more than £25 - £30 used, nearer £60-£70 for the V3. 

As long as it checks out ok I think I'm gonna buy it.

Not too keen on the colour though. It's black and white, not keen on anything black and white.....might strip it down and respray it.

On second thoughts, I like the black pickguard on yours....might be easier to just change the pick guard.

Edited by SimonC
  • Like 3

I’ve never been a fan of black guitars either. However, respraying can be a disaster. If this is your first bass, leave it alone. If it doesn’t work out for you a black one is very easy to sell because most people like them, probably the most popular colour ever. 
I’ve nothing against Affinity models but check the neck isn’t a banana, I have seen some horrors.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SimonC said:

On second thoughts, I like the black pickguard on yours....might be easier to just change the pick guard.

Get some car vinyl wrap to change the colour of the pickguard.

Black Carbon would look great. Red Carbon even better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SimonC said:

Hi all, looking for a bit advice.

I don't have a bass as yet, and have never played one, but at the age of 58 thought I would give it a go. Just for in the house use, I've got no aspirations of anything beyond that.

I'm looking to buy used, and going to have a look at a used Squire p bass (affinity) and Fender rumble 25 on Friday.
He's looking for £130, is that a decent price? The price is about what I want to pay tbh.
They both look in excellent condition, and says very little use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Decent price and decent gear for a first bass and amp. I agree with the comments about getting it set up, which you can do following YT videos or if you can find a local guitar repairer/luthier you could ask them to do it and then take notes so you understand what's being done and why. You'll need a lead to connect the two if you don't have one, and you can pick up a Fender or Planet Waves one reasonably inexpensively but both will be decent quality. Other than that you'll probably want to learn how to play it, and a good starting point would be something like Bass Buzz or Scott's Bass Lessons YT videos, and then go from there.

Have fun and welcome to the world of bass!

• Like 1

hello and welcome from another north east member

I think i saw this bass and amp on facebook? I'm just up the road in Newcastle, there are plenty of good techs round this way and one or two exceptional ones, feel free to PM if you want names and numbers.

I don't think you can go far wrong with this combo, one thing to watch out for is that there are quite a few different variations when it comes to scratchplates so make sure whatever you order says explicitly that it will fit the affinity p-bass or you might find you need to drill new holes in the body to get the screws to line up.

I'd also suggest getting some in-person lessons, even if it's just a few to get your technique/hand position right, getting it wrong at the beginning can hamper your progress later on (I speak from experience).

matt 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matt P said:

hello and welcome from another north east member

I think i saw this bass and amp on facebook? I'm just up the road in Newcastle, there are plenty of good techs round this way and one or two exceptional ones, feel free to PM if you want names and numbers.

I don't think you can go far wrong with this combo, one thing to watch out for is that there are quite a few different variations when it comes to scratchplates so make sure whatever you order says explicitly that it will fit the affinity p-bass or you might find you need to drill new holes in the body to get the screws to line up.

I'd also suggest getting some in-person lessons, even if it's just a few to get your technique/hand position right, getting it wrong at the beginning can hamper your progress later on (I speak from experience).

matt 

Thanks for that, appreciated. 

It's on Facebook, that's where I seen it. I work in newcastle at the Marie Curie hospice in Elswick, so I'm calling in on the way home to have a look at it.

I'm gonna do as suggested earlier and just put a wrap on the pickguard....I really can't have it black and white (smiley face here).

I'll hoy some pics up if I buy it. 

• Like 1

I have one of those, it's a good bass. I modded mine by knocking the gloss back with wire wool. Rough and ready but looks good to me. Was going to get a new pickguard but like the look with the black. Still may try a gold or mirrored one or something silly though! I put some beefier pickups in it too. 

20240516_213918.thumb.jpg.8d25b98827e16f3d757edaa4e21dff01.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I wouldn’t change a thing till you have worked out if you like it or not 

I get what you're saying, but if I buy it tomorrow, the pickguards getting changed Saturday. 

Even if I just put a gloss or matte black wrap on it, that'll do.

Anything but b&w.

12 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd still ask if they would take £100!.. they can only say No...

I did ask if he was open to offers, and he said not yet as it had just been listed. 

Might still ask on the day, no harm in asking.

Posted (edited)

I'm in Wylam, happy to go with you if you want a more experienced eye.

Edit - nope, not on Friday though! Good luck! 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Not a mags fan then? Lol!

(I'm originally from just up the road from you).

You got it 🤣.

The bass is just a bit too b&w for my liking.

Thanks for all the advice lads, very much appreciated.

Well, I bought it. The lad i bought off was really helpful. He was more of a guitar player and singer, and only used the bass to lay down some bass tracks at home....he had quite the set-up tbh.

He'd had it set up a while ago and still played fine, to me anyway. Said the strings had been on a while, but did give me a new set. 

Amp works great as well, and sounds good to me though ive nothing to compare it to.

Overall, very happy with my purchase.

I'll be taking the strings off tonight and giving it a good clean...just because I want to really.

And changing to pickguard colour as well.....its going matt black.

I will hoy some before and after pics up, but unsure to post on this thread, or if there's a more appropriate thread to post on.

Once again, thanks for all the advice, it really is appreciated. 

• Like 6