Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stingray 5 Scratchplate ideas - need some creative input!

carlsim

I have recently acquired a Sterling Ray35 (big SR5 fan, had plenty over the years) and this new has a particularly nice quilted top - see pic! 

It has also been routed nicely around the pup so that just leaves the control cavity to cover if I wanted to leave the scratchplate off.

Any ideas? A chrome cover? Would need to get this made... or maybe a thin aluminum sheet or something which is then powder coated? I'm open to ideas... a black 3 ply small cover would probably look a bit naff... something quite statement-ey??

Anyone else done this? 4 string players are lucky, they can just take the plate off. 5s need a bit more thought....

ray35.jpg

I personally would go for a clear plate that is the exact replica of the existing pickguard ( I have a jazz with clear pg and love it the way it is, pic below for reference)

Then I would choose an inverse self adhesive tape / paper/ whatever it is called  (where the color / design / motif is on the adhesive side) that I would cut to a shape that looks cool and covers the cavity and put that to the underside of the guard facing outward so it blocks the view of the cavity. 

569055_main_l_201803151915.thumb.jpg.7a2c35515365adeec2753040c93e53e1.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I personally would go for a clear plate that is the exact replica of the existing pickguard ( I have a jazz with clear pg and love it the way it is, pic below for reference)

Then I would choose an inverse self adhesive tape / paper/ whatever it is called  (where the color / design / motif is on the adhesive side) that I would cut to a shape that looks cool and covers the cavity and put that to the underside of the guard facing outward so it blocks the view of the cavity. 

569055_main_l_201803151915.thumb.jpg.7a2c35515365adeec2753040c93e53e1.jpg

Yeah my atelier z jazz has a clear plate and clear control cover, exactly as the pic…

luckily, my work has a laser cutter so gonna have a go at making one myself by scanning in and vectorising the image… hopefully if the scan is accurate, it will match up perfectly!