Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pay disparity

1 minute ago, asingardenof said:

The bible is strangely quiet on the love of basses, so I think we're probably safe!

Is there not something about thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his bass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's?

8 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Is there not something about thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his bass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's?

Now you're just splitting hairs 😂

• Haha 1

Good grief what a to do. In the old days you turned up, you played you got paid, and if you didnt turn up you didnt get paid, and whether you drove 100 miles or 1/2 a mile everyone got the same.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Good grief what a to do. In the old days you turned up, you played you got paid, and if you didnt turn up you didnt get paid, and whether you drove 100 miles or 1/2 a mile everyone got the same.

One band I was in did attempt some sort of split based on mileage and the fact that there were two couples and one singleton so there was shared transport. It was a right mess and as some gigs were our way and some gigs were the other way and some equidistant, we just decided it would all even up in the end.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Well, if you read the first post, no-one is/was getting paid, then the organiser suggested giving some of the "money behind the bar" to the two who travelled from the West Mids. 

I've done hundreds of gigs where sometimes we get paid, sometimes we don't. The pay isn't of itself the issue here. 

I'm comfortable with no-one being paid, I don't mind if he takes the bar money and gives it to the two Brummies, but what I slightly object to is then refusing to give a small amount to the dep that's doing a favour. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

As a matter of interest, does this pub put any other bands/live music on?

Website suggests it does once a week; it certainly used to, but then changed hands and stopped. No idea what sort of thing it is though. 

Just to add the final little touch to this sorry saga, out of the blue the chap organising told me he's 'managed to find a bass player for the gig' so my friend isn't needed any more. 

Needless to say I've had to make profuse apologies (which thankfully were graciously accepted). 

That's the last time I try and help anyone with deps! 

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Jakester said:

Website suggests it does once a week; it certainly used to, but then changed hands and stopped. No idea what sort of thing it is though. 

Just to add the final little touch to this sorry saga, out of the blue the chap organising told me he's 'managed to find a bass player for the gig' so my friend isn't needed any more. 

Needless to say I've had to make profuse apologies (which thankfully were graciously accepted). 

That's the last time I try and help anyone with deps! 

This is a healthy reminder of why I stay the hell away from gigging!

On 08/05/2024 at 15:08, Jakester said:

However, one of the two who are travelling can't make it, so I've agreed to play his part and have asked someone I know to fill in on bass for me.

I think this is where it all went wrong.

If someone cant make a gig, then they find a dep and make all the arrangements. 

Stick to your area, otherwise confusion reigns. You've found someone to cover your part, and then someone goes and asks someone else? Especially annoying if the guy you asked has already started preparing.

Tbh - I'd be sitting down with the band all together and flesh out these minor issues before they grow into resentment. I'd certainly not be happy subsidising someone else's hobby. In my experience people who can't afford to do things that are important to you - seem to find money to do things that are important to them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TimR said:

In my experience people who can't afford to do things that are important to you - seem to find money to do things that are important to them.

In my experience, this is often smoking and/or drinking...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jakester said:

I wonder if the organiser's mate knows that he's playing for free while other players will be getting expenses money?

And to address the original point -- yes I share your concern, it's a very weird situation and as the person arranging the dep I would have been just as unhappy with and embarrassed by it as you are.  

(Also, this £100-behind-the-bar nonsense needs sorting out before you play there again, but as you say that's a whole different subject.) 

4 hours ago, TimR said:

I think this is where it all went wrong.

If someone cant make a gig, then they find a dep and make all the arrangements. 

Stick to your area, otherwise confusion reigns. You've found someone to cover your part, and then someone goes and asks someone else? Especially annoying if the guy you asked has already started preparing.

Bass is my second instrument - this 'area' is actually my first. Why should I 'stick to my area'? I enjoy playing both.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Bass is my second instrument - this 'area' is actually my first. Why should I 'stick to my area'? I enjoy playing both.

Well that's even more confusing. 😂

I just mean that chopping and changing leaves everyone wondering what's going on. For a relaxed 'jam', 'gig', it seems a lot of work.

You play bass and there's another guitarist who can't make it, and if they could make it, they wanted something towards travel. You have a guitarist, bass and drums. To me that's sorted. You have a base trio, you're not getting paid, why complicate it?

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

Well that's even more confusing. 😂

I just mean that chopping and changing leaves everyone wondering what's going on. For a relaxed 'jam', 'gig', it seems a lot of work.

You play bass and there's another guitarist who can't make it, and if they could make it, they wanted something towards travel. You have a guitarist, bass and drums. To me that's sorted. You have a base trio, you're not getting paid, why complicate it?

I think you're just being deliberately obtuse for the sake of it now. 

23 minutes ago, Jakester said:

What's the line up? What do the two Brummies play? I think that's what I missing. Playing jazz you need drums, bass and, piano or guitar. Anything else is additional to requirements.

23 hours ago, Jakester said:

On a similar vibe , if you take the dep, he could have a good go at the bar tab by himself by the look of it 😁.

• Haha 1