Why become a member? ×

Short scale not a short scale? Medium scale?

I need some help! I just got a Fender American Performer Limited-Edition Mustang bass. It's got a 30 inch neck which from my understanding is considered a short scale. I'm having issues finding strings for it. I put two sets of short scale D'Addario Strings and where it tapers off, there's way too much play in the neck area. The string is not properly sitting in the nut. Everything I look online says that this is a short scale base and I need to put short scale strings on it which I have done but I'm still having this issue even when I put flat rounds on it. My instructor recommended I purchased the strings that are on the specs from fenders website but those are also short scale strings. The tech at my local Guitar Center said that my basss is  considered a medium scale which is why I'm having issues finding strings for it. The internet has no answers for me either lol. There are considerably less options for medium scale strings everywhere. Some stuff I've read says just put regular long scale strings on it. Others say the exact opposite. Is there anyone out there that has a base just like mine or similar to it? Did you have the same issues I had? What did you do? Is my base considered a medium scale? Is it not short enough to be a short scale?

20240428_225253.jpg

20240428_225247.jpg

20240428_225258.jpg

• Like 1

That's definitely a short scale bass, but the through body stringing is adding a good inch to the length of string you need.

If that had through bridge stringing your current strings would fit.

The recommendation to find medium scale strings is probably a good one.

First hit on Google when I searched for medium scale bass strings brought up Rotosound 66s.

I'm not recommending these strings (I can't stand Rotosounds) and with those gauges the feel will seem very light on a medium scale, but it's just an example of what's out there.

You could also buy some regular long scale strings and be prepared to cut them down a bit.

Good luck on your hunt.

Zooming in on your photo I can't tell if it's reflection or if you can actually thread the strings through the bridge rather than the body.

Have a look. If there are four holes on the metal plate next to the intonation adjustment screws then try stringing through there.

6 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Zooming in on your photo I can't tell if it's reflection or if you can actually thread the strings through the bridge rather than the body.

Have a look. If there are four holes on the metal plate next to the intonation adjustment screws then try stringing through there.

I wish I could string them through the bridge but there are no holes there. This has to be strong through the actual body which is probably why I'm having issues finding proper strings. I didn't even think about that! I think that's a sign to just replace the bridge LOL. It's the one that came with the base when I bought it though

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

That's definitely a short scale bass, but the through body stringing is adding a good inch to the length of string you need.

If that had through bridge stringing your current strings would fit.

The recommendation to find medium scale strings is probably a good one.

First hit on Google when I searched for medium scale bass strings brought up Rotosound 66s.

I'm not recommending these strings (I can't stand Rotosounds) and with those gauges the feel will seem very light on a medium scale, but it's just an example of what's out there.

You could also buy some regular long scale strings and be prepared to cut them down a bit.

Good luck on your hunt.

That was actually going to be my last resort. Just regular strings and cut them down. I found some Ernie balls online that will hopefully be delivered in the next couple days that say they're medium scale. I'm going to try that and if I still have issues with those then I'm just going to replace the bridge so I can string them through the actual bridge and set up the body

• Like 1

Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats JF324 are a perfect fit for a Mustang with through body stringing.  Whether you would like those strings or not is another thing :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As above, it is a short scale bass - 30 inch but due to the string through body bridge, then the correct strings are medium scale - 32 inch. Lovely looking bass by the way.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

D'addario medium scale (32") Chromes are a perfect fit for a mustang with thru' body bridge.

I’ve got some of these for sale (advertised here, and I pay subs, etc!)

Edited by Burns-bass

51 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I use long scale EB Slinkies on both my string through Mustangs without a problem.

Same for me and my EB Cobalt flats, you get some actual wrap around the capstan on the E & A strings but, because of the large diameter of the peg, doesn’t seem to matter.

• Like 1