Why become a member? ×

New Genzler Amp? Or is it a pre-amp?

Musicman20

Description. Our circuitry and mechanical designs within the KINETIX™ 800 deliver an all-new platform in tube preamp, compact bass amplification design – exactly what players have come to expect from the GENZLER® design team.

There is a thread on Talkbass and some teaser pics on Genzler's social media ads.

Hmmmm!

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Class D amp with tube preamp, I suppose?

If that's the case it's not exactly news.

Also did you make this thread to generate Google hits?

Well it is for Genzler...news for them.

I am a user of Genz Benz amps and I have a LOT of respect for their technology in the bass amp/cab world.

Why would I want to generate google hits? Makes no difference to me. Not my career/business/company.

Anyway, apparently they are releasing info later today.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 16:58, fretmeister said:

So - this is basically going back to the original Genzbenz Streamliner that had 3 valves in it.

The Streamliner had one sweepable midrange, other than that does look very much like a repackaged Streamliner.

On 30/04/2024 at 11:36, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also did you make this thread to generate Google hits?

Perfectly reasonable thread as it looks like an amp that might cater to a lot of bassists' needs/desires.

• Like 1

I have a Streamliner, and I absolutely love it. This is obviously a modern version of it. I wonder if Agedhorse had anything to do with it. Being in the industry, I have owned and played most brands, and in my opinion Jeff Genzler is right up there with the best.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2024 at 18:44, markorbit said:

I found the Streamliner far too wooly for me and I like wool! Maybe I didn't tweak the knobs enough. I think this one will be more to my liking.

With any new to you amplifier you have to invest time to learn how to use it. If you don't do this you'll never be able to get the best out of it!

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

This one runs the tubes/valves on 300 Volts, should work different from the Streamliner. Hopefully I get mine delivered tomorrow. It should have been here Friday 3rd, but the sh*tty Fedex changed delivery time from "before 18.00" to "not specified". 

I actually think this is pretty interesting.  The previous Magellans were super-clean, super-accurate, high slew rate racing cars.  People would complain that they didn't 'add' a sound, and I think that's probably fair.  That's the reason I like them.  But if you're an Ampeg or ABM user, I could see how you'd be disappointed.

I'm not sure what an ultra modern, super-clean amp with a 3-stage tube front will sound like.  But I really want to try one and find out.

It's a shame that the curve control and the sweepable mid has gone.

It's also a shame that it's priced for lottery winners only.

We do pay a premium for things built in the USA. And it takes some time before they trickle down to the used market. And here in Halifax the nearest dealer is about 1250 km away. A 12 hour drive.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 14:38, bassmayhem said:

This one runs the tubes/valves on 300 Volts, should work different from the Streamliner. Hopefully I get mine delivered tomorrow. It should have been here Friday 3rd, but the sh*tty Fedex changed delivery time from "before 18.00" to "not specified". 

For clarification, the Streamliner also operated the tubes at 300V.

• Like 3

Well...

Now it is here. I expected a tube amp, and it feels very close to that. Tone from clear and soft to smooth growl: not the harsh broken sound many amps produce. A fine growl...

The only downside is that it doesn't look like a Fender Bassman, but that is no issue. The amp responds to your touch in a pleasant way, the tone blooms according to touch.

With all controls at noon, except for master volume, you get a good starting point. The only thing I've done is cut som treble to 9 o'clock. The lean/fat/thick switch in fat position is what I prefer.

My main bass - the Unicorn Purist - has rather low output, and due to that very wide tonal range. With that bass I set the mute/on/boost switch to "boost!". On my other basses I set just "on". 

Powerful! Dynamic! Neat! Yep - a keeper! I like it... :) 

And - I like the new knobs. The old ones were a bit difficult to see when tweaking...

20240507_164010.jpg

20240507_211632.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 5

On 06/05/2024 at 22:10, Paddy Morris said:

I actually think this is pretty interesting.  The previous Magellans were super-clean, super-accurate, high slew rate racing cars.  People would complain that they didn't 'add' a sound, and I think that's probably fair.  That's the reason I like them.  But if you're an Ampeg or ABM user, I could see how you'd be disappointed.

I'm not sure what an ultra modern, super-clean amp with a 3-stage tube front will sound like.  But I really want to try one and find out.

It's a shame that the curve control and the sweepable mid has gone.

It's also a shame that it's priced for lottery winners only.

It can surely go all the way from super clean, but with a "crystal gloss" to the tone, and all the way into Bass Mayhem... ;) 
Despite my nick name, I prefer it clean(ish) but with some breakup when diggin' in...

Edited by bassmayhem