Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a simple metronome with a BIG flashy light.

Wotcha

Well, as it says above (but add in cheap). Anything anyone can suggest? I want to be able to biff in the bpms and hit go and a big assed light begins to flash.. so I can shove that in our drummers face so he can count in songs at the right speed. (Something he seems to think only he can do).

Thankee.

2 hours ago, Marky L said:

Wotcha

Well, as it says above (but add in cheap). Anything anyone can suggest? I want to be able to biff in the bpms and hit go and a big assed light begins to flash.. so I can shove that in our drummers face so he can count in songs at the right speed. (Something he seems to think only he can do).

Thankee.

That's all very well, but what if he gets hypnotised by the light and never starts?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marky L said:

Wotcha

Thankee.

Do you have to shove it in his face? If not, can I suggest you get a vibrating metronome, because I can think of a better place to 'shove it'. 

😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, lowdown said:

Do you have to shove it in his face? If not, can I suggest you get a vibrating metronome, because I can think of a better place to 'shove it'. 

😂

Shoving it in his face allows me to say "THIS SPEED!" at him and for him not pretend he wasn't aware. If I get a confirmation then I'm part way happy.

Edited by Marky L

53 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Shoving it in his face allows me to say "THIS SPEED!" at him and for him not pretend he wasn't aware. If I get a confirmation then I'm part way happy.

I sincerely hope for your health and safety's sake that your bandmate drummer has a lot more patience and restraint than I. A pedagogic approach of this nature would, at a minimum, be met by me with a deft drumstick through the offending metronome, and a fair few Anglo-Saxon words and phrases that would make my displeasure clear to all around. Still, if it works for you both... ^_^

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, lowdown said:

😂

Beware, he may suddenly shout out "checkmate!" at an inopportune moment.

• Haha 1

I don't know why drummers insist on counting in the band. 

It's not the drummers responsibility to keep the band in time. I wish more drummers and musicians recognised that. 

If he can't stay in time with the rest of the band he needs to go away and practice drumming. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's not the drummers responsibility to keep the band in time. I wish more drummers and musicians recognised that. 

If he can't stay in time with the rest of the band he needs to go away and practice drumming. 

I think having 1 person in the band to count in all songs can give a bit of consistency to start tempo. The number of times I've played in bands where another musician (usually the guitarist) would start the song at a totally different speed due to nerves / adrenalin / last song played / they just feel like it! 🤣

In my band we try not to leave much space between songs and use the drummer as the focal point. They're queing up the next tempo whilst the guitarist checks tuning or someones changing patches etc. Everyone knows who does the count in and should there be any technical problems they can signal to the drummer to hold off. It seems quicker and pretty efficient.

I agree that it's everyones responsibility to keep time together but it's the drummers role to provide the pulse that we keep time to. If the drummer can't keep to the rehearsed beat then you've got problems...... I'm in the house band for a local jam (so no real pressure on getting things right) and we regularly play "Le Grange" which on the record is about 160bpm. The guitarist always starts it off about 170bpm and by the end of the song we've achieved 190+bpm :facepalm: Our drummer is usualy solid but for whatever reason on that one, goes astray 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

I think having 1 person in the band to count in all songs can give a bit of consistency to start tempo. The number of times I've played in bands where another musician (usually the guitarist) would start the song at a totally different speed due to nerves / adrenalin / last song played / they just feel like it! 🤣

In my band we try not to leave much space between songs and use the drummer as the focal point. They're queing up the next tempo whilst the guitarist checks tuning or someones changing patches etc. Everyone knows who does the count in and should there be any technical problems they can signal to the drummer to hold off. It seems quicker and pretty efficient.

I agree that it's everyones responsibility to keep time together but it's the drummers role to provide the pulse that we keep time to. If the drummer can't keep to the rehearsed beat then you've got problems...... I'm in the house band for a local jam (so no real pressure on getting things right) and we regularly play "Le Grange" which on the record is about 160bpm. The guitarist always starts it off about 170bpm and by the end of the song we've achieved 190+bpm :facepalm: Our drummer is usualy solid but for whatever reason on that one, goes astray 🤣

Yep, and most of this in the link below as well.

Please enter at your own risk - It's a dot com for Drummers.

:D

This Is Why Drummers Are So Important In A Band

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 11:29, Marky L said:

...so I can shove that in our drummers face so he can count in songs at the right speed. (Something he seems to think only he can do).

Thankee.

Yes, why does it always has to be the guy who has the responsibility for holding down the beat throughout the songs that gets to count in the tempo?

Why can't everybody do their own count in?

No one needs to tell me which tempo to play in!

Polyrhythmics for the way!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Yep, and most of this in the link below as well.

Please enter at your own risk - It's a dot com for Drummers.

:D

This Is Why Drummers Are So Important In A Band

Well that's the first paragraph wrong to start with. 😂

No wonder there's so much issues with drummers who think everyone should be following them. 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Well that's the first paragraph wrong to start with. 😂

No wonder there's so much issues with drummers who think everyone should be following them. 🤦‍♂️

What's wrong? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimR said:

Now that is another very big can of worms recently opened.

3 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

Well ours would start at 190 and it would end at 140. 🙄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I sincerely hope for your health and safety's sake that your bandmate drummer has a lot more patience and restraint than I. A pedagogic approach of this nature would, at a minimum, be met by me with a deft drumstick through the offending metronome, and a fair few Anglo-Saxon words and phrases that would make my displeasure clear to all around. Still, if it works for you both... ^_^

And my bass would be around his head! 

It's just a frustration that I am dweling on too much, but it could be a quick and easy fix.

Obviously I did employ a little artistic licence for comedic effect. I would just hold it close enough so he was aware and could act upon it.