Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a simple metronome with a BIG flashy light.

14 hours ago, TimR said:

The drummer can't speed up if the bass player doesn't. 

Oh he can! Though usually for me, he slows down and I am trying to push the pace, but he is unaware.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lowdown said:

Music does work like that, exactly like that. Because as you say, 'The Musician (Drummer) is human'.

Accelerando,  Rallentando, Ritardando, A Tempo, Rubato?

Changes of tempo - Understanding musical terms

Well yes, if the band agrees it needs to change, but that change should be rock solid. If the drummer is speeding up or slowing down seemingly at random and not giving any visual cues then the band has a problem. If they know the drummer has a habit of doing it, then they shouldn't let it move. 

9 hours ago, Marky L said:

Oh he can! Though usually for me, he slows down and I am trying to push the pace, but he is unaware.

What's the rest of the band doing? They should all sticking to the correct tempo with you?

13 hours ago, TimR said:

What's the rest of the band doing? They should all sticking to the correct tempo with you?

Sadly, slowing down with him as I turn round and shout "IT'S TOO F*****G SLOW!". I have bitched about it many times and occasionally it sinks in.

My current friendly little nudge before slightly faster songs is "Pace it, don't race it".

I cannot remember the name, but there is an app which tracks tempo changes while a song is being played. I used to play with an older drummer who also liked to slow down. He actually ran the app during the gig. It was useful, but not a cure-all by any means. 

• Like 1