Why become a member? ×

NAD - Fender Rumble 800 Combo

Lozz196

After many years of recommending the Fender Rumble amps, based upon both the specs but very importantly having heard them in use I’ve finally got one myself.

Needed due to back issues, at around 13kg it’s the same weight as one of my Ashdown cabs so in terms of carting stuff about I lose having to carry the my RM500 (only 3kg or so) but also lose having to lean over to plug in speaker leads etc. Additionally as the controls are on the top I’m assuming this makes adjustments when on stage easier. I can put the power lead in my Mono M80 as well so practically it’s winning already, less gear/no of items to carry.

Sound - well only been able to use it at home volumes but it’s very easy to get the sound I want. The Drive is very good, with careful setting rather than being full on drive it can really add thickness to the sound which to me is a real benefit, the combo being a 210 being able to thicken the sound up is a real bonus. 

Overall I’m very pleased with it, some of our gigs will require me to provide a full bass rig, in fact our next one does, so this amp is going to make my life easier. I’d have put up with it irrespective as needs must but it really does sound great so I’m feeling rather chuffed. 

IMG_3906.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 17

I’m pleased with mine too Lozz, just a really solid bass amp aren’t they. Very easy to get a good sound out of.

I just added the Rumble 210, for no other reason than I thought it’d be fun. The combo is plenty loud enough, mind you and really punches beyond its 13kg!IMG_3380.thumb.jpeg.7fc6b8a4bcd0ba15b3f8ebea2b4391ce.jpeg

• Like 5

I’m going to have to be very disciplined and not get one of those 210 cabs, the whole point of this purchase being to reduce the amount of gear I cart about.

• Like 1

I am currently looking at amps and this is swaying me back to a combo. I really need to try and see one in the flesh and give it a test. It seems like such a wallet and back friendly option compared to heads and cabs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m going to have to be very disciplined and not get one of those 210 cabs, the whole point of this purchase being to reduce the amount of gear I cart about.

Same for me 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

The combo is very capable, the weight/tone/power made it a clear winner. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So, when's the new cab arriving?

• Haha 2

I played through a Rumble 2x10 combo a few times at a jam on Queen Street here in Toronto. I was very pleased how it handled everything that my six string threw at it. It was the first Fender amp I actually liked! :)

17 hours ago, M@23 said:

The 210 cab is about 4kg heavier owing to the ceramic magnets, but I actually find it an easier carry as the inset side handles are solid. 

Ah, in that case adding in one of these is def out, the 13kg of the combo is just about my limit now.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Ah, in that case adding in one of these is def out, the 13kg of the combo is just about my limit now.

The combo is ace. Let us know how it goes for you, but I found it plenty as a standalone. Kept up with drums, projected well and sounded great. Sure, it’s a super 4x10, but the combo alone is very capable. 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes the combo is my limit too, I found the extension cab was just a bit too much for my back.😟

I've had the Rumble 500 combo for a few years (for back-up/small venues/rehearsals), I think it is fab and love the sound. I added a rumble 2x10 but didn't like the sound of the extension cab so I moved it on. 

I keep looking at the 800 too, as a possible replacement for my 1x15 Neo Ashdown ABM combo. But the amplifier knobs put me off - these should have been black chicken heads imho not those cheap and cheerful looking off white plastic jobs. Unfortunately (or fortunately for Mrs JPJ) it doesn’t look like there is enough space between the pots to allow for retro-fit chicken head knobs. 

I did a gig a few yrs back and the rumble 500 2x10 was provided. I got one very shortly after that and the guy was only selling to get the newer version (it might have had the digital amp stuff like the Fender Mustang effects built in).

I think the Rumble is a really solid amp in its own right and the eq and drive are really nice. As Lozz says the drive can add weight and thicken the overall tone. The wee eq switches do what you’d expect and remember Fender acquired Genz Benz and this Rumble range was the result.

I also found that the amp set flat takes pedals really well. I have everything at noon, no switches engaged and use it with my pedal board and it’s perfect for the venues we play with some pa support. I played 2x12 cabs for ages and the 10’s were a nice change for my ear. I did try using it so let as a power amp in for my fx but it sounded better going into the ‘flat’ preamp.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 19:20, BassmanPaul said:

I played through a Rumble 2x10 combo a few times at a jam on Queen Street here in Toronto. I was very pleased how it handled everything that my six string threw at it. It was the first Fender amp I actually liked! :)

That's because it's based on Genz Benz schematics... ;)

• Like 1