Why become a member? ×

Twin neck headless

ped

Hi guys

My guitarist is restoring a nice old twin neck Ibanez and I jokingly said I could get a twin neck bass (fretted/fretless). Out of curiosity, beyond ordering an aliexpress one for £300 I wondered if there are any decent ones in the UK. I narrowly missed a Washburn one on eBay but it was quite expensive and I'm not sure I am fully into buying a really good one. But I must admit since I've started looking I'm enjoying at least checking out different models.

Please share any cool ones! Headless preferred because it suits the vibe, I think

There was one sold on here three or four years ago. I was tempted but it was 32" and I'd rather have all my fretlesses the same scale length.

Aha: 

I wondered about a Basslab one (twin 5-string) but the neck appears to be rather too chunky for me, from Basslab's own description.

I've got this. Bought it for my now-defunct prog band, where fretless would've been nice in parts of a couple of songs. Sadly hasn't been out of its case in several years!

It's a 1985 Gordy Blueshift, and was a one-off, as far as I could find out.

gordy02.thumb.jpg.d1eb2cd977ce6e3ac4d07385f28246c0.jpg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I've got this. Bought it for my now-defunct prog band, where fretless would've been nice in parts of a couple of songs. Sadly hasn't been out of its case in several years!

It's a 1985 Gordy Blueshift, and was a one-off, as far as I could find out.

gordy02.thumb.jpg.d1eb2cd977ce6e3ac4d07385f28246c0.jpg

Super cool. I think I’ve seen and admired that body shape before (albeit a singular necked instrument). Guessing the controls are shared by both sets of pickups and switched by the toggle in the centre?

I think it makes more sense having the fretless on top, but some are the opposite. 

I've seen a Steinberger XM double neck, but very long ago. If you want only one neck, check Ibanez Ashula. There's the older white, and the newer coloured version.

Half fretted necks I have seen few, but comments have been like they represent the worst sides of both worlds, and they require very hard setup. But I haven't had a chance to test one.

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I am pretty sure there was a Steinberger Spirit twin neck headless in the early 2000's. Definitely a guitar but I think a bass too.... 

Like this, you mean? I used to use it in a duo. Both necks are fretted though.

P1130228.thumb.jpg.34e4c5bf3a78ad4cba40e5865680c356.jpg

Edit: Just found this in an unrelated search.

R0010634-1.jpg.8411696797c2db5634b01f7b41a99c2a.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ped said:

Super cool. I think I’ve seen and admired that body shape before (albeit a singular necked instrument). Guessing the controls are shared by both sets of pickups and switched by the toggle in the centre?

I think it makes more sense having the fretless on top, but some are the opposite. 

The controls (if I remember!) are separate for each neck, 2x master v & t, & 3-way microswitch pickup selector. Plus a toggle to switch between necks. Always thought co-axial volumes would be a good upgrade, so you could blend the pickups.

The necks/scales are identical so it would be easy enough to swap them - fretless on top suits me so I never tried.

It's as well-made as you'd expect from a hand-crafted bass, & the fretless neck is especially nice - but  it's a slightly cumbersome & very, very heavy lump! It did get me to the point of starting to design what would be my ideal fretted/fretless twin-neck, basically by listing the things I don't much like about this!

• Like 1