Why become a member? ×

string problem.

Can anyone explain to me why when I've tried to fit a new set of flatwounds to my 32" scale Ibanez, every string snaps at the tuner when I try to tighten the string? Normal roundwounds are no problem.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Maybe.  The only bass string I've ever broke was when I was trying to put a 34" scale flatwound on a 30" scale bass - trying to bend the full thickness of the E string round the tuner caused it to ping and fail immediately.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, This is the second set and it's done the same thing, I tried Olympia first then Adagio and both did the same thing, the string unravelled then snapped.

Not sure what to do now....

Tom.

Some basses have a much smaller tuner capstans and this puts too much strain on the unsilked portion that inevitably becomes wrapped around the tuner on shorter scales.

Where is the breakage happening?  Is it on every string or just one? Is there a sharp edge or a burr on the tuner slot / hole?  I have wrapped the thick part of flatwound strings round posts without issues (TIs and chromes).

@ezbass makes a very relevant point.

Edited by 3below

Thanks guys, the tuner capstan is small on the ibanez mezzo so I guess that's the problem, it started to tighten then unravelled. I only tried 2 strings and they both did the same thing, I cut the length in the usual way so I don't know where to go with this now.

Any ideas on how to fit flats on a 32 scale? Where can I get the right strings?

Thanks.

Hi Tom, I only use flats and have never had a string snap, I think the combination as above of cutting down long scale and the smaller peg is the answer, maybe try putting out a wanted ad for the shorter strings and measure to the silks so you know your ok , short scale flats do come up now and again, all mine are long or you could have had some 

2 hours ago, tom1946 said:

Thanks guys, the tuner capstan is small on the ibanez mezzo so I guess that's the problem, it started to tighten then unravelled. I only tried 2 strings and they both did the same thing, I cut the length in the usual way so I don't know where to go with this now.

Any ideas on how to fit flats on a 32 scale? Where can I get the right strings?

Thanks.

Some good info here - https://www.talkbass.com/threads/best-flatwounds-for-medium-scale-bass.1284069/

These might do a job for you - https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/collections/bass-guitar-string-sets/products/la-bella-4-string-deep-talkin-bass-stainless-steel-flat-wound-45-105-medium-scale-bass-strings?_pos=3&_fid=57403350d&_ss=c

But check the "Ball to taper length" against your bass - measure from where the ball end sits to the E tuner, if that's less than 34.25” (870mm) then these strings will fit just fine because the taper will kick in before the string reaches the tuner and you'll be cutting the bit you're supposed to be cutting.

Great info guys, thanks. The strings I tried were 34" scale and I was careful about where I cut the end so I didn't have 34 turns around a very narrow capstan. They still snapped though.

I'm wary of buying any more until I know they won't snap again. Roundwounds are no problem, ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

These are short scale, I doubt they'll be long enough for a 32" scale bass (which the OP has) as the Ball to taper length is 32.25” (820mm).

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

These are short scale, I doubt they'll be long enough as the Ball to taper length is 32.25” (820mm).

Ah thanks, i was just looking on labella site for the lengths 

Sadly at the opposite end of the price spectrum…

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/thomastik-infeld-jf324h-jazz-flatwound-hofner-bass-strings-43-96

Get these Hofner-specific version JF324H rather than the regular medium scale, JF324 set because…

1. The winding taper is thinner and more suited to wrapping around tiny winding posts (and getting through the 2mm holes) found on those 60s bases.

2. The “H” set have a 96 gauge E string where the regular set has a 106.  I’ve not tried the regular set myself but lots of folk complain that it’s horribly unbalanced with the other strings.  I have tried the 96 set and they’re great.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Man.about.Tyne said:

Sadly at the opposite end of the price spectrum…

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/thomastik-infeld-jf324h-jazz-flatwound-hofner-bass-strings-43-96

Get these Hofner-specific version JF324H rather than the regular medium scale, JF324 set because…

1. The winding taper is thinner and more suited to wrapping around tiny winding posts (and getting through the 2mm holes) found on those 60s bases.

2. The “H” set have a 96 gauge E string where the regular set has a 106.  I’ve not tried the regular set myself but lots of folk complain that it’s horribly unbalanced with the other strings.  I have tried the 96 set and they’re great.

I was going to suggest JF324 strings but the 324H sounds like a much better idea given the capstan dimensions.  I have a set of JF324s in a drawer but never use flats - about time I moved them on!

• Like 1

On 31/03/2024 at 20:59, neepheid said:

Maybe.  The only bass string I've ever broke was when I was trying to put a 34" scale flatwound on a 30" scale bass - trying to bend the full thickness of the E string round the tuner caused it to ping and fail immediately.

This is you answer!

A few suggestions depending on the eventual diagnosis of the cause:

1. If it is the machine heads causing the problem; Wilkinson lightweight tuners (Hipshot copies) are a direct replacement (even the screw holes align), are better than the originals IMO and cost not much. Available from the likes of Northwest Guitars, etc;

2. Bass Direct have quite a few medium scale strings from various suppliers and their pricing is keen for some brands;

3. Available from the above are Maruszczyk short/medium flats for around £30 (give or take). I really like them but it is down to taste. They do fit on a Mezzo: I’ve done it. The silks just clear the nut, so there is no chance of the wrapped part going round the capstan.