Why become a member? ×

Amp or no amp...?

uk_lefty

In the last year I've done probably half my gigs via a DI pedal instead of an amp. I've had an MXR M80 and now an EBS pedal with all my other FX in its loop. The sound quality I've had has been mostly very good. My band now owns active subs for the PA so on the most part I don't really need to be filling a venue with bass from an on stage amp. The drummer plays an electronic kit and one of the guitarist goes amp-less now. 

I've been toying with selling off my Ashdown rig and my SWR Working pro and going for one of the Boss Katana amps. I persuaded myself I'd regret that so took my amp to gig last weekend even though I didn't need it. We were using the venue PA and I had bass coming out my monitor which sounded different to my amp behind me. Depending on where I stood I was getting more of one source of bass sound than the other to the point where it became a bit distracting.

Do I really need an ABM600 and two 15" cabs? It just feels like overkill now. I don't use it at all at home, preferring my SWR combo for quick plug n play. I worry that one day I might need the full wallop of the amp and regret not having it, but realistically I haven't had to run amp only with no PA support for over a year.

What should I do...?

I just had a whatsapp message from our guitarist saying don't bring my amp this weekend as we are Di'ing and using IEMs. However, my "DI" is my Aguilar 350 and a convenient seat/table is the 2x10... just in case...

I think if I ever had to rely on public transport or storage space/money became a problem I would think again, but the security of having my own amp as a backup is not something I'm willing to give up.

• Like 4

Well never say never. Why not keep the head and look for a single cab? the 15" cabs will not be to current norms and certainly sound different to a modern PA speaker. A single FRFR cab would suit you well,  but make sure it is a good FRFR cab. Some of the "boutique" cabs are not FRFR. Alternatively look at a really good PA cabinet but by really good, I mean quite expensive.

I can only recommend what I have used. As that is not an extensive list I won't really say what you should go for but if you change bands, you may regret closing off the traditional back-line route.

• Like 2

Most of the dozen or so band leaders I play with are die-hards, still doing it the old fashioned way.

I have done DI/fold back gigs and see no problem in that method, but an amp is essential to the way I gig.

My advice to the OP would be to keep a rig handy. You never know when your circumstances might change.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chris_b said:

My advice to the OP would be to keep a rig handy. You never know when your circumstances might change.

This is the crux of it really - it depends so much on the PA system at the gig! If the band's bringing its own small-ish PA that's only really handling vocals and maybe an acoustic guitar, you're best bringing your ABM and cab(s). If the venue has a massive in-house system that handles everything, save your back and bring a decent DI/preamp. (I wish I'd learned that lesson sooner...)

As everyone is probably bored of hearing now, I sold off my traditional bass rigs over years ago now and I haven't missed them in the slightest.

I the band is running its own PA I would consider replacing your existing rig with an FRFR that could double as foldback if required.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2024 at 16:01, BigRedX said:

As everyone is probably bored of hearing now, I sold off my traditional bass rigs over years ago now and I haven't missed them in the slightest.

I the band is running its own PA I would consider replacing your existing rig with an FRFR that could double as foldback if required.

I`m in the same boat. I use an RCF 715 but I bought an Ashdown ABM 500 combo recently as it`s what I used in the past. The RCF and a pre amp pedal or two totally gave it a damm good spanking and I won`t be going back the traditional bass amp again. The RCF can carry the sound if I`m not going through the pa and we are a loud band. 

I'm in the "just in case" bracket. I don't gig with backline but I keep my options open with backline that stays at home most of the time. My experience so far is that the gear is more reliable than bands which tend to run for only a few years so I keep back line just in case I need to dep or audition again. None of my three current bands use backline and two of them use an electric kit. I'm lucky enough that I don't need to spend the income from gigs on anything other than music so I can pretty much afford what I want. I also design and build cabs as a passion so I'd find it hard to give up backline completely even though it stays at home.

My backline is an LFSys Monaco and a Bugera Veyron. The Monaco is IMO the best 12" FRFR bass cab on the market and I chose the Veyron as the most neutral sounding of my amps. I've also got a BC110T which I use more often as it's even lighter and smaller and more than enough as a stage monitor. The Monaco will go conveniently louder than any drummer so my initial thought of one 12 for smaller gigs and a second for bigger ones has been shelved.

• Like 2

I've done both but kept my backline gear and was eventually bullied into using backline again by the rest of the band who use in ears but still use backline and an acoustic kit.

I have to say that using in ears and a preamp pedal instead of backline was a revelation, not just for the amazing sound quality of the bass but also it helped my singing, protected my ears and stopped me playing my bass really hard just to be able to hear it.

I would say that it's a bit isolating using in ears and no backline and I think my ideal scenario would be to use backline but just played at sensible volume with the PA doing all of the work out front.

Sadly that the rarely happens in a rock covers bands with 2 guitarists! 😭

• Like 4

On 21/03/2024 at 10:13, uk_lefty said:

I haven't had to run amp only with no PA support for over a year

In my mind a year is nothing compared to a life time of playing. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You sell your stuff and possibly you might be in a position where you need it again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

In my mind a year is nothing compared to a life time of playing. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You sell your stuff and possibly you might be in a position where you need it again.

Only reason for this is if you are essentially a dep player, and find yourself in situations that require different amplification solutions.

If my no backline band was to come to and end I would only be interested in joining another with a similar outlook to amplification.

On 23/03/2024 at 09:49, Davy said:

I've done both but kept my backline gear and was eventually bullied into using backline again by the rest of the band who use in ears but still use backline and an acoustic kit.

I have to say that using in ears and a preamp pedal instead of backline was a revelation, not just for the amazing sound quality of the bass but also it helped my singing, protected my ears and stopped me playing my bass really hard just to be able to hear it.

I would say that it's a bit isolating using in ears and no backline and I think my ideal scenario would be to use backline but just played at sensible volume with the PA doing all of the work out front.

Sadly that the rarely happens in a rock covers bands with 2 guitarists! 😭

You're not alone!!!