Why become a member? ×

WOT? They can hear new music? ... In their head? ​😱​

1 minute ago, BassTractor said:

Yup! We called it referential pitch. Don't know its official name.
And yes, I've tuned instruments for like 50 years by listening to certain songs in my head.

Gig a day

Aphantasia is the inability to picture things in your head - like an apple, a face, or a house etc, etc - so I suppose there are people who can't hear music in their heads either.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Is this normal? Do you recall songs in your head in the keys they are really in? 

Nothing is normal. Could be common 🤣

I find transposing keys is annoying. But only if it's transposed from a 'flat' key to a 'natural' or 'sharp' key.

and yes, songs sound odd to me if they're not in the 'original' key.

Lots of the Rush live material began to actually annoy me. Maybe that's because it feels wrong when singing along to it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TimR said:

Nothing is normal. Could be common 🤣

I find transposing keys is annoying. But only if it's transposed from a 'flat' key to a 'natural' or 'sharp' key.

and yes, songs sound odd to me if they're not in the 'original' key.

Lots of the Rush live material began to actually annoy me. Maybe that's because it feels wrong when singing along to it. 

Virtual insanity , probably.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I think there’s bound to be some people who can’t make up new music in their head (

i.e. make up a tune and ‘hear’ it, similarly there are people who say they can’t visualise. 

My other half claims to be unable to visualise anything (a shame, as it's a useful ability), yet to constantly have music playing in her head.

I am able to enjoy both the internal music and also to visualise things.

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Hopefully we can all agree that regardless of inner dialogue/monologue, Kylie Minogue is rather marvellous.

Thanks, read this half hour ago and 🎵I just can’t get it out of my head… 🎶🙄

• Haha 3

I knew a classical flautist, years ago, who couldn't get their head around the idea of composing their own music and, in particular, improvisation. She was quite excellent at her instrument whereas, in the band I was in at the time, writing our own stuff and improvising were completely natural to us, it seemed like the kind of thing every musician would just instinctively know and do, but not so.

When I'm writing music, I usually hear everything, all the instruments and melodies. The process of making a real song out of it frequently becomes a tedious chore, as taking it out of my head and into the real world often involves lots of compromise because my ability to play the required instrumentation and manipulate my voice, in particular, frequently doesn't match what I think the music requires. I have to work hard to get rid of the pre-conceived idea and work at something I can actually do and record in real life.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I knew a classical flautist, years ago, who couldn't get their head around the idea of composing their own music and, in particular, improvisation. She was quite excellent at her instrument whereas, in the band I was in at the time, writing our own stuff and improvising were completely natural to us, it seemed like the kind of thing every musician would just instinctively know and do, but not so.

When I'm writing music, I usually hear everything, all the instruments and melodies. The process of making a real song out of it frequently becomes a tedious chore, as taking it out of my head and into the real world often involves lots of compromise because my ability to play the required instrumentation and manipulate my voice, in particular, frequently doesn't match what I think the music requires. I have to work hard to get rid of the pre-conceived idea and work at something I can actually do and record in real life.

I played with a few classically trained musicians in the past and they were exactly the same. Everything for them was in a box so improvisation or writing something unusual just caused absolute meltdown. What made it even more frustrating is whatever they were taught is the right way and there was an inability to compromise or even accept there are other ways, for example saying One-E-And, 2-E-And, Three-E-And etc. which I'd been taught and seen others musicians taught when reading music was absolute jibberish to one classically trained musician and their way was the only right way to count notes. 

I have always sung my own original bass lines in my head when writing for new songs. I am a very melodic player so they are usually way too hard to play at first but I get there in the end once the muscle memory kicks in and I've worked out what the correct notes and phrasing is. Either way, everything is in my head singing along when I write bass lines. 

I'm also not the greatest at coming up with the initial song idea but for some reason, once I hear the rough version, be it just a voice and guitar, I can then hear the entire song in my head and I then go away and arrange the whole song. Its just something I've been able to do all the time, I can just hear the finished song from a very basic idea.

Another thing I can do sometimes is hear a note by looking at it on the fretboard before I've got there. So I may be playing a phrase and I hear the next note in my head and then looking at the fretboard, I see the note I'm hearing on the fretboard so I know where to play it.

I guess as musicians we all have music constantly running through our heads 24/7 right? It's like a constant noise all the time and certainly keeps me awake at night. It drives my wife crazy sometimes as if the music is very loud in my head, I end up tapping away or playing along but there's always something being played in my head, be it a song, melody, new bass line, drum beat. 

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gjones said:

Aphantasia is the inability to picture things in your head - like an apple, a face, or a house etc, etc - so I suppose there are people who can't hear music in their heads either.

My wife knows someone who has this, for music.

The bizarre thing is that the reason my wife knows her is that she is a very good classical violinist, who my wife has often booked for gigs and played alongside.

She only realised that she had this condition, and other people didn't, as an adult, and was apparently quite thrown by the discovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't solo for toffee with other musicians (probably because I haven't learnt my scales properly), but occasionally I get a visual of a big band playing in my head and if I don't concentrate too hard, the music just flows, drums, brass, bass the lot. It doesn't go on for long as trying not to concentrate is hard. But when it has happened it's great. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TimR said:

It's called an inner dialogue. Not everyone has it. 

I find it a real pain. Wish it would just stop sometimes. 

Same here. Mine frequently transitions to an 'outer dialogue' when I'm alone... or I think I am. I frequently have conversations with myself when I'm riding my bike to and from work - sometimes I wind myself up and get cross, but it's cathartic and helps me process things.

My wife has caught me muttering whilst showering several times and thinks it is weird as she never talks to herself. But then she's told me she listens to whole songs in her head via her 'internal radio'.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Same here. Mine frequently transitions to an 'outer dialogue' when I'm alone... or I think I am. I frequently have conversations with myself when I'm riding my bike to and from work

Maybe it's similar to when you go to sleep and your brain disconnects from your arms and legs so you don't act put your dreams. 

That spectacularly fails with some people.

A friend of my brother got drunk one night and sleepwalked in his pyjamas, took his mum's car keys and drove her car straight into the skip it was parked behind. Weird that he hadn't taken his own car. The police turned up and I'm not sure what the outcome of the trial was. Think he had to get doctors reports to corroborate he sleepwalked a lot.