Why become a member? ×

Streaming Platforms

Streaming platform choice(s).  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform are you using (and why in the comments!)

• Spotify
    • Apple Music
    • Amazon
    • Qobuz
    • Tidal
    • Deezer
    • Other

I suppose prompted by the Atmos/Spatial Audio version of Band On The Run, I'm questioning whether it's time to reconsider moving from Spotify to Apple Music (or something else).

I've been with Spotify for years, have no real issues with the general audio quality, although my ears do detect a less woolly quality if I'm listening to a lossless source (ie off a NAS).  I suppose the majority issue is that we have dozens of playlists in Spotify and whether I can be donkeyed enough to rebuild these on another platform.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has actually listened to BOTR in 5.1 on Apple Music and what else is actually up there in this format.

[Edit] I've done a bit more reading...  The term 'Atmos' seems to be an all-encompassing and oft misused term; I am interested in audio in a surround sound format (it works extremely well for the Steven Wilson XTC and Tears For Fears reissues), so I would like to investigate this further. 

I'd need to be able to listen in a home theatre/5.1 set up and through my Sonos kit/PC/Android devices/car.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I suppose prompted by the Atmos/Spatial Audio version of Band On The Run, I'm questioning whether it's time to reconsider moving from Spotify to Apple Music.

I've been with Spotify for years, have no real issues with the general audio quality, although my ears do detect a less woolly quality if I'm listening to a lossless source (ie off a NAS).  I suppose the majority issue is that we have dozens of playlists in Spotify and whether I can be donkeyed enough to rebuild these on another platform.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has actually listened to BOTR on Apple Music and what else is actually up there in this format.

Have you looked at Tidal? 

I've been using it for the past couple of years or so and it P's all over Spotify for content and sound quality. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Yes tidal is a definite step up in sound quality and from April they're making their hi res content available as part of the normal pricing tier rather than a more expensive tier. 

I tried qobuz but the step up in quality didn't justify the added cost imo.

Spotify are also the worst at payouts to artists I believe. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've been using it for the past couple of years or so and it P's all over Spotify for content and sound quality. 

Beyond a cursory overview yesterday, I've not tested anything beyond Spotify at this point.  A mate has offered me his Qobuz sign on, so I may give this a try over the weekend.

• Like 2

For it's got to be Apple Music because it allows me to add the contents of my iTunes library to make up for the gaps in the woefully inadequate catalogue of all streaming services.

Edit: the streaming audio quality isn't really important to me because it is only used in the car where its competing with all the other driving noises or for checking out new bands, and much of the time I do this on YouTube because I like to see what they look like as well hear what they sound like, and if I like them enough to warrant further listens I'll buy whatever physical product they have available.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

Amazon Prime music. For no other reason than that's what the Missus pays for.

The plus side is its the highest quality output and when I'm listening to music I pipe it through my hifi. I don't walk about with headphones on, although I do stream it in the car as well.

But if Mrs B suddenly stopped paying I doubt I'd have the motivation or energy to sign up with another myself.

• Like 2

Apple music for me because:

- Audio quality (lossless)

- More album focused (used to annoy me how Spotify nearly always recommended singles)

- Artist credits in full (this is how I usually discover new music)

- Recommendations are good but the Discover Station seems to work really well.

- No books/podcasts in the interface to clutter it up

• Like 2

Apple Music for me, and has been for years. I started using it when I got my fist iPod and have stuck with it ever since through iPhones & Mac etc.

I like being able access my playlists on my work Mac, as well as on my iPhone when out and about and in the car etc.

The rest of the band use Spotify, which is a pain for me as I don't really like it, and have to replicate all the proposed new song lists, setlist etc on Apple Music

6 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I couldn't do iTunes.

My loathing of all things Apple runs so deep I wouldn't even eat an apple pie. 🤣

I got put off iTunes and iPhones when I had one back in about 2009, and I loathed iTunes with a fiery passion. I had a work iPhone in 2017-2019 but feel no desire to have one again as a personal phone, and iTunes is definitely a part of that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Can you do me a favour?  Does Tidal support 5.1/surround audio.  I've mentioned Band On The Run.  Is that on there in a surround sound format?

• Like 1

The poll is best to include multiple choice because a lot of people use more than one. I mostly use YouTube because it's free with ads, but I've used Deezer and Spotify in the past. Deezer because it was free with my network tariff at the time.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Does 5.1/surround add anything worthwhile? Especially for an album that was originally mixed for stereo?

IME most domestic listening environments are not even set up for decent stereo imaging.

In answer to the first question, does 5.1/surround add anything.

Oh, yes.  This isn't about some kind of tweaking of the stereo image to make it play on more speakers, this is a full-on back to the master tapes remixing/reworking for 5.1/7.1.

I own a few 5.1/surround reissues (or in some cases albums issued in 5.1); Steven Wilson has reworked eight or nine XTC albums and Tears For Fears first three and last albums.  For me it's just about reinterpreting the familiarity of what you're listening to, nothing added or taken away, just that the audio is coming at you from five/seven speakers and a sub.  It's more companion piece than replacement.  The first time I heard the tile track of The Seeds Of Love, I honestly thought I was going to cry (and I'm not an emotional bloke in the slightest; it was just glorious).

@hiram.k.hackenbacker may chip in here.

I often give thought to albums I'd love to hear reformatted.  Jellyfish.  Japan.  Certainly NIN.

• Like 1

Occasional Spotify user here. I only use it for reference and anything I want I will buy a physical copy. Have a real problem with their business model and sound quality. An example was listening to Searching For the Young Soul Rebels - I couldn't believe how bad it sounded. Bought the CD and it was every bit as good as I remembered.