Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

John Deacon spotting.

NancyJohnson

[quote name='dood' post='488423' date='May 15 2009, 12:46 AM']

Ahhh, love this song! Deacon on a Wal!

[edit] ok.. so that should have embedded this video! I suck!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CefyvKcFY&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CefyvKcFY&fmt=18[/url][/quote]
Aaaah, late night drunken posting, nothing like it!

Can I just post here that my intention was just to say he's alive and well (and according to The Times rich list good for £70m) and that the photos were as much a surprise to me on seeing them as they were to you lot. This thread wasn't really for anyone to declare where he drinks etc.

I respect the guy on so many levels (well aside from bubble-perms and Hot Space) - he is/was a great player and he retired with a degree of grace and decorum only to let May/Taylor sally the Queen name in his absence. Maybe the ops can delete the postings (or blank out) his drinking haunts.

Best
P

[quote name='bluesparky' post='488429' date='May 15 2009, 01:06 AM']Aaaah, late night drunken posting, nothing like it![/quote]

Late night yup, drunken.. noope! Though I think the neighbours may have been kept awake with some funky choons!

[quote name='dood' post='488423' date='May 15 2009, 12:46 AM'][edit] ok.. so that should have embedded this video! I suck!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CefyvKcFY&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CefyvKcFY&fmt=18[/url][/quote]

oh wow That's great .. Cheers, Dood
Phil Collins, what a drummer.. I really don't know why people slag him off .. and white horns with black gloves? That's tricky - playing sax whilst wearing gloves is like .. er well let's say like playing bass with oven gloves on ....

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='488555' date='May 15 2009, 09:46 AM']and the plectrum in the pick guard ... :)[/quote]

Err... I think it's a Dunlop one... damn! my attention to detail is floundering!

[quote name='OldGit' post='488562' date='May 15 2009, 09:50 AM']oh wow That's great .. Cheers, Dood
Phil Collins, what a drummer.. I really don't know why people slag him off .. and white horns with black gloves? That's tricky - playing sax whilst wearing gloves is like .. er well let's say like playing bass with oven gloves on ....[/quote]

I love the bass walking under the horns, very cool... in fact many a-time have I thieved that Octave-5th-Root run in a nod to that great performance.

[quote name='dood' post='488349' date='May 14 2009, 11:06 PM']I was looking at the 'isolated bass tracks' thread earlier.. - Anyone know if there are any Deacon bass lines floating around out there? I once heard large sections of Boh' Rap' in a studio broken down, that was pretty amazing, but I never had the chance to crank up the bass on its own.[/quote]

If you have access to torrents, the multi-tracks for a boatload of Queen tracks are available. The basslines are all there! Even more amazing are the vocals, the arrangements that went into them I think rival the likes of the Beach Boys at times.

Deacon is a simply fantastic bass player, so understated and yet completely melodic and brilliant.

EDIT: perhaps I should have been a little more discreet about those multi-tracks... probably one to keep on the down low :)

Edited by liamcapleton

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='488602' date='May 15 2009, 10:22 AM']Tis the curse of Queen, I tells ye!
Poor Freddie, dead. Brian married to that old bird from Eastenders, John struck down by a Danielsiticosis and Roger......well he needs to be careful

BarnacleBob - Pirate to the trade :rolleyes:[/quote]

Don't start me on Roger ..
He so missed the point of the drumming on those Free and Bad Co numbers with the Paul Rogers/Queen thing.
I couldn't believe anyone playing All Right Now could be so arrogant as to play the bass drum differently to the original - it's supposed to lock on with the bass and vocal melody, fer chri'sake...
I'm sure something would have been said if Paul had sung different words to the Queen numbers "'cos that's how I do it"
grrrrr

"... don't hesitate" bump-bump te bump, bump te
" ... lord above" bump-bump te bump, bump te
and the wrong fill at the end of the solo ..
:)

Deacon - probably the first "real" understanding I had of bass was through him and Another One Bites The Dust as a young chap a while ago listening to my Dad's vinyls. I went to see Queen & PR at Hyde Park and it just wasnt the same without him, even with the lack of Freddie. Legend.

And yes Dood, was very spooky this thread appeared on the same day as our nerdy "Deacon's scratchplate" conversation! lol

QUOTE (Toddy @ May 14 2009, 10:50 PM)
"Nice call,,,

Er didnt get it from me ,,,,

But drinks in my old singists pub,,, the [i]{edit: removed by Dood as per previous posts}[/i] ....SSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

Erm..didn't know if anyone else had spotted this is till showing on the thread!

[quote name='Bassmurf' post='488799' date='May 15 2009, 12:50 PM']QUOTE (Toddy @ May 14 2009, 10:50 PM)
"Nice call,,,

Er didnt get it from me ,,,,

But drinks in my old singists pub,,, the [i]{edit: removed by Dood as per previous posts}[/i] ....SSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

Erm..didn't know if anyone else had spotted this is till showing on the thread![/quote]

Thanks, missed that one.. now removed.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488804' date='May 15 2009, 12:53 PM']Roger Taylor. Queen's weakest link.

BOOM BASH BOOM BASH BOOM BASH BOOM BASH CRASH BOOM BASH BOOM BASH BOOM BASH BOOM BASH CRASH[/quote]
Saved only by his vocal capabilities. If only they could have kept him on BVs but got an actual drummer to to the drums...

John Deacon showed as much good taste in his decision to leave the dodgy Queen resurrection stuff well alone as he always did in his playing and song writing. He's a class act.

I was lucky enough to see Queen live in 1976 & it still ranks as one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

[quote name='RhysP' post='488916' date='May 15 2009, 02:27 PM']John Deacon showed as much good taste in his decision to leave the dodgy Queen resurrection stuff well alone as he always did in his playing and song writing. He's a class act.

I was lucky enough to see Queen live in 1976 & it still ranks as one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.[/quote]

I only saw them once...Lewisham Odeon December 1979. Crazy Little Tour of London.
P

I saw them in Liverpool in 78. i forget the song they opened with, but the idea was to start the song and after a minute or so the curtain would open. but it didn't it must have been stuck. so they stopped the song midway. after ten minutes or so they started again and this time the curtain opened. it was quite funny at the time :)