Why become a member? ×

How to tell if this is a fake fender?

I've been scouring ebay for potential 'next bass'es and came across this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190307205774"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190307205774[/url]

The chap posting it says that it has no serials, is this a definite 'no' to the question 'is there any chance this could be a real fender and a real bargain?'

Cheers.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488318' date='May 14 2009, 10:46 PM']It's a definite 'no'.

Decal, truss access, pickguard... all wrong.

Might be a fine bass, mind you... just not a Fender.[/quote]

Ha ok, thought as much, just making sure I wasn't missing out on a steal.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488318' date='May 14 2009, 10:46 PM']It's a definite 'no'.

Decal, truss access, pickguard... all wrong.

Might be a fine bass, mind you... just not a Fender.[/quote]

+100 All wrong. Run away!

I have a 1962 Fender Jazz which I don't use now so I was going to store it in the loft. I'm now thinking that when my next of kin re-discover it and put it on E-bay you lot are going to jump out and say "Oh yeah...another 'genuine' old Fender found in a loft...yeah right". What shall I do? Answers please on a £20 note.

Whilst I'm sure that by and large such basses are fakes, bear in mind that loft-based instruments do exist.

A few years ago I was handed an old ukelele that had been owned by a great uncle, and which had spent most of its life in lofts.

Opening the case I found a 1930s "The Gibson" uke in excellent condition for its age, and which I finally moved on (having owned it but not played it for a year or so) for £500 :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488505' date='May 15 2009, 09:01 AM']About ten years ago, I picked up a '72 Rick 4001 that someone had found in their parents' loft.

Not everyone is a villain.[/quote]

Ah but that was parents!

An uncle is clearly the fraudster's relative of choice. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='488513' date='May 15 2009, 09:10 AM']I'm just nipping into the loft to see if there are any Alembics up there that I missed.

Edit: back again. No joy, just a load of boxes, an old left-handed Hofner from the 60s that belonged to Paul, and a stairgate. :)[/quote]

Can i have first dibs on the stairgate? :rolleyes:

[quote name='jdougan' post='488302' date='May 14 2009, 10:25 PM']I've been scouring ebay for potential 'next bass'es and came across this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190307205774"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190307205774[/url]

The chap posting it says that it has no serials, is this a definite 'no' to the question 'is there any chance this could be a real fender and a real bargain?'

Cheers.[/quote]
I think the best way of answering the question is to read the bit in the listing where he says it isn't a Fender :)

Just found a '51 Precision, '61 Jazz and Jaco's Bass of Doom in my attic, so I'm of down to Cash Converters.

How many elderly uncles would get a fake fender logo to put on a cheapo copy? If it was a genuine vintage fender found in a loft it would be likely to be recognised as possibly genuine, but when it has obviously been faked like this one has is it not reasonable to assume that the there is a high likelyhood of the story being BS & the seller is trying to pull a fast one. That's how it seems to a cynical old sod like me.