Why become a member? ×

Who has a killer bass that they've neglected for one reason or another?

jd56hawk

54 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As someone who shreds as much as he tends to do I wonder how come Billy Sheehan went for a 21 and not 24 fret neck on his signature bass, yet even having bothered upping for the last 5 frets being scalloped under the upper strings.

I can only assume that it’s because the neck dimensions are based on the neck from his P bass that he used for decades. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blyn said:

25+ year old Warwick fretless. Amazing instrument. 

And so beautiful!

Never played it live ...

image.png.63b2c722be1eb2e3811d796767dc3cd7.png

Take it out and use it, I use mine every week at rehearsals and gig with it.  Really great bass to play. The one I don't use is the bubinga fretted Corvette, just too heavy :(

2 hours ago, blyn said:

25+ year old Warwick fretless. Amazing instrument. 

And so beautiful!

Never played it live ...

2 hours ago, 3below said:

Take it out and use it, I use mine every week at rehearsals and gig with it.  Really great bass to play. 

In fairness, it could be that blyn doesn't have a regular gig that suits fretless. I've had a fretless bass sitting around gathering metaphorical dust for some years, but I've only just started using it in anger this year for a few songs with the new neo-prog project we're putting together. Neither of my other bands would work at all with fretless.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2024 at 10:35, gjones said:

I have a Precision Elite which developed a fault in the stereo jack input. I bought a replacement a year ago and still haven't installed it. A G&L L2500 tribute which sounds fantastic but I don't really need a 5 string for the Blues band I play in. A MM Stingray which sounds great but is a bit too aggressive sounding for my Blues band. A MIJ Precision which doesn't sound aggressive enough for my Blues band. Plus a couple of others that don't get played for one reason or another.

what mij precision do you have? 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

In fairness, it could be that blyn doesn't have a regular gig that suits fretless. I've had a fretless bass sitting around gathering metaphorical dust for some years, but I've only just started using it in anger this year for a few songs with the new neo-prog project we're putting together. Neither of my other bands would work at all with fretless.

Ditto, don't think my fretless would work in a Glam band....

I sold my EBMM Ray fretless and bought a cheaper Saddo Metro Express to free up some cash but still have a fretless for the odd noodle.

2 hours ago, gjones said:

A white one with a maple neck.

Nice. If you ever consider giving it a new home, my mij basses will help it settle in lol. 

I have this soft spot for anything Japanese 🙈

• Haha 1

7287A7F5-2662-4366-BD86-E7479044CA19.jpeg.ce47e24e838346f27e24be9a4c04edaa.jpeg

I hadn't used this bass much for a good number of years. Mainly because i play mainly 5 string and well it's purple and has that P-bass sound which when I bought it i didn't really understand what that meant nor was that keen on once i found out what it was. Then a 3 or 4 years back i had a gig backing a singer on some classic soul and funk and decided to take this one along for a change. It sounded great so i decided to give it a chance with a makeover, refret, new pickups to match and chrome knobs to match the hardware, then re-strung last year with flats. Still not sure how long i will keep them on that bass but for now they sound fine for the 70's tracks i've been practicing and gives me a bass with a different tonal vibe. 

1(1).thumb.jpeg.81db3ddaf3eb1167e628b7be1e3101f1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

7287A7F5-2662-4366-BD86-E7479044CA19.jpeg.ce47e24e838346f27e24be9a4c04edaa.jpeg

I hadn't used this bass much for a good number of years. Mainly because i play mainly 5 string and well it's purple and has that P-bass sound which when I bought it i didn't really understand what that meant nor was that keen on once i found out what it was. Then a 3 or 4 years back i had a gig backing a singer on some classic soul and funk and decided to take this one along for a change. It sounded great so i decided to give it a chance with a makeover, refret, new pickups to match and chrome knobs to match the hardware, then re-strung last year with flats. Still not sure how long i will keep them on that bass but for now they sound fine for the 70's tracks i've been practicing and gives me a bass with a different tonal vibe. 

1(1).thumb.jpeg.81db3ddaf3eb1167e628b7be1e3101f1.jpeg

Double P 😍. What brand. Never seen this bass before 

My wonderful old 1966 Precision. It's the best one I've ever played, but it's too valuable to take out on tour. I do use it for the odd local gig.

The picture is about 1994. I've owned it since about 1984 or so. Best £260 I ever spent.

Steve - PT - Nuremburg.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

My wonderful old 1966 Precision. It's the best one I've ever played, but it's too valuable to take out on tour. I do use it for the odd local gig.

The picture is about 1994. I've owned it since about 1984 or so. Best £260 I ever spent.

Steve - PT - Nuremburg.jpg

Such a timeless picture. 

I relate to what you say about it being to valuable to take out. I have a good amount of an analog film cameras which are rather valuable. Even though it’s just a tool to create, I have this unconscious mothering protection vibe. 

You have had that beauty as long as I have existed. 

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 1

Ive got a bunch in the eaves of my attic. I would sell a few, but i either built or heavily modified them all so not really worrh selling. I csnt even teally keep them accessible because our house is so small. I will pull a few out for recording incthe studio.

I have 2 vintage stock ibanez that i am about to put up, but its such a pain to sell.

I have an 84-ish steinberger XP. That is stock and i could probably get some good money for it, but im keeping it for when im older and need somethung small and light. 

A beautiful warmoth build with a moses graphite neck and 2tek bridge. Just sitting there. I think im going to lend it to my daughter's friend who seems to be expressing some interest in bass.

Craziest thing i have, and this has been sitting disassembled for 15 years probably. An 8 string flying V warmoth build, matte black with SIMs custom v shaped LED fret markers, side LEDs, and a headstock logo lower case e that lights up. It also has a laser in the headstock! I should put it back together, but i lost the nut somewhere along the way. I wish i had built it four string as i really have no use for 8. Crazy cool though. Id have to solder the LEDs up as well.

20221028_120551.thumb.jpg.7074b57fc675a0

Edited by lidl e

For a while it was just me and my JV Precision. It was a bit knackered when I got it so I'd restored it and it was definitely a keeper (famous last words). Soon enough though, I had ideas on a P build and once that was done, the JV was usurped by the new one and relegated to it's case. The bitsa was then overtaken by a new and shiny Telecaster Bass for a month or so, and then a Squier CV 50s Precision appeared at my door and now that's the only one that gets picked up, and it cost a fraction of the others. Three smashing basses, all sitting in gig bags under beds.