Why become a member? ×

Who knows about Mono bass cases?

ossyrocks

I fancy a Mono case, but there's a few to choose from, and I can't go and see them.

I like the idea of pulling the bass out of the case from a standing position on tight stages. 

There's a the Bass Sleeve, Stealth Case, M80, Vertigo and Vertigo Ultra, all steadily increasing in price. 

What's a the basic Bass Sleeve like for you, or any of the others for that matter?

Cheers,

Rob

I should have added that I do own a couple of cases from either end of the spectrum.

I have a Reunion Blues Continental Traveler which is a superb case, but it's a bit bulky, needs to lie flat to open, and on the heavier side for a gig bag - https://www.andertons.co.uk/reunion-blues-continental-voyager-electric-bass-guitar-case

Also, at the other end of the scale I have a TGI Extreme which gets used a lot more often than the Reunion Blues because it's just light and handy.

I also have a A Gator PRO GO BASS 2X GIG BAG FOR 2 BASS GUITARS, which I have never used, and will probably never use, as when I put two basses in it, it's too heavy to be practical! - https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitar-strings-accessories/cases-bags-for-bass-guitars/gig-bags-for-bass-guitars/gator-pro-go-bass-2x-gig-bag-for-2-bass-guitars

1 minute ago, Twigman said:

I love my M80 - my Tecamp Puma900 and 2 leads fit in the outside pocket - makes my life easier.

Can you put the bass in and out from  a standing position with that one?

30 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Can you put the bass in and out from  a standing position with that one?

Yes I can - it has a strap which holds the neck and fastens with velcro - it's easy enough to reach in, unstick the strap and pull the bass out.

Edit: It's easier to extract a bass than put one in in the upright position. The case is probably not stiff enough to put the bass in while upright - I always put it in while the case is laid down.

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I have a couple of these and they are fantastic!

https://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_elite_gigbag_ebass.htm

You can take out the bass standing up.

Hmm. I have the guitar version of this. I really don't like the neck rest/holder, it's really loose. Admittedly I bought this a few years ago, is yours ok?

Just now, ossyrocks said:

Hmm. I have the guitar version of this. I really don't like the neck rest/holder, it's really loose. Admittedly I bought this a few years ago, is yours ok?

it is fine with the neck strap on the holder. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Just looked more closely at the pics. The neck support is different on mine.

I believe you can take the whole neck holder as it is velcroed in. This particular case is at my luthier right now so i cant check but i believe that is the case

I also have the premium which i just checked doesnt have the neck holder

• Like 1

I use the M80 and can put the bass in whilst the case is standing (tho do prefer to lay it down if possible) and I leave my strap attached to the bass too. I really like the M80s, I’ve had numerous different cases & gig-bags and unless a flying gig the M80 wins for me every time.

• Like 1

I have M80 single and double. Pretty good to carry, but hits your thigs. Running is practically impossible. Double is very heavy even with light weight instruments. It is still the most practical way to carry two basses.

• Like 1

If it has to be Mono, and there are many cheaper alternatives that will do the job just fine (e.g. Gator and TGI), I would pass on the Sleeve as it's definitely no good for basses with angled headstocks, pus the padding is minimal on the sides, and the M80s as they are bulky.  Personally, I loved the convenience of the Vertigo.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 1

I have a M80. As a case it is fantastic. It's protected my bass when a heavy 2x10 fell on it. It is possible to squeeze it into tight spaces in the car where a hard case would never fit.

However as a gig bag it fails miserably. For me the whole point of a gig bag is that I can put my bass in it and then walk 30 minutes to the rehearsal room or local gig. However, unless you are very tall the bottom of the case slaps against the back of your legs while you are walking with it. Bearable for about 5 minutes after which it is both painful and annoying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I have a M80. As a case it is fantastic. It's protected my bass when a heavy 2x10 fell on it. It is possible to squeeze it into tight spaces in the car where a hard case would never fit.

However as a gig bag it fails miserably. For me the whole point of a gig bag is that I can put my bass in it and then walk 30 minutes to the rehearsal room or local gig. However, unless you are very tall the bottom of the case slaps against the back of your legs while you are walking with it. Bearable for about 5 minutes after which it is both painful and annoying. 

You make a good point. I don't often walk a distance with my gig bag, but when I do, I want it to be right. The TGI Extreme I have has none of this leg slappage of which you speak, and I've walked some fair distances with that one.

There is an element of "the grass is greener" going on for me here I'm sure. But I have almost made up my mind to sell the Reunion Blues and the Gator cases and try something else. The Mono seemed like a good bet. I wonder if the Bass Sleeve also has the same issue as the M80 you have?

Rob

I have had an M80 for years and I absolutely love it. In fact after years of abuse it is looking a little frayed in areas but structurally it is still solid.

Always used it upright to put my bass in and take it out, I don’t think I have ever had the space or thought to lay it out flat. I have all pockets rammed full of cables, tools and bits and bobs and it’s probably the best bit of gear I have ever bought.

I dont ever carry it long distances, and tend to just use one strap and the other is tucked in the rear pocket, so I wear it a bit like a golf bag. I can’t comment on comfort after carrying it for a long time, but it’s the best case/bag I have ever come across.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 16:46, ossyrocks said:

There is an element of "the grass is greener" going on for me here I'm sure. But I have almost made up my mind to sell the Reunion Blues and the Gator cases and try something else. The Mono seemed like a good bet. I wonder if the Bass Sleeve also has the same issue as the M80 you have?

I’ve had a Bass Sleeve for years and regularly walk a mile or two with it. I find it perfectly comfortable, but I am over 6ft. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 16:46, ossyrocks said:

You make a good point. I don't often walk a distance with my gig bag, but when I do, I want it to be right. The TGI Extreme I have has none of this leg slappage of which you speak, and I've walked some fair distances with that one.

Rob

If you're happy with the TGI Extreme (and I know they're good, I have one myself) then why are you looking elsewhere?  Just get another one of those (and save yourself a butt load of cash too)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

..... then why are you looking elsewhere?  Just get another one of those (and save yourself a butt load of cash too)?

Because.......... err, you make a good point. I'll see how easy it is to use the case in a standing position.

4 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Because.......... err, you make a good point. I'll see how easy it is to use the case in a standing position.

IIRC the TGI is sturdy enough to stand up on its own.  Apart from my hard cases, I get all my basses out of and into their bags in an upright position.

• Like 1

I have both the Guitar Sleeve and the M80, both in the guitar version. I use the Sleeve for my electric guitars, and the M80 for my headless Status basses and love both of them. The M80 does not have the top opening feature, but is more like a regular softcase. That said, it opens up far enough that I can pull the zipper down to just over halfway and pull my Status out with ease. I like it a lot, the padding is great and the other storage pockets are very functional too. I prefer it over the Sleeve as the Sleeve does not have walled sides and is rather rigid, so your guitar or bass is squeezed quite tightly between the front and back, putting some strain on the tuners and knobs. 

• Like 1