Why become a member? ×

John east Pre amp worth it or not?

Tim2291

I'm debating getting a John East J Retro pre amp for my Mexican Jazz bass... I mainly play a 5 String Ibanez BTB (one of the old "prestige" models with Barts and 3 band EQ) which has a super modern tone but also very high output. I'm looking at making it simpler to switch to the jazz bass if I need to (string snapped, dead battery any other live quirk) without issue. Are they worth it? I'd love to know what everyone thinks! 

IMO I put a Bartolini pickup in a Precision bass and the improvement was 1000%. Spurred on by this great move I added a preamp and got 5% improvement at most. For what that cost It wasn't worth it.

My take on modding is that some things are worth it and many are not. I'd replace the pickups with a good make like Barts or Nordstrands etc, and maybe add a good set of flats and see where you are at that point.

The main thing I like about J Retros is that it gives you versatility - you can get any sound out of a Jazz Bass with it installed.

But it also means, if you are using a FOH PA, you can alter your sound before it gets to the desk. I usually add a lot of low mid to ensure that I keep definition when going into a random mixing desk and through the PA.

It's also really easy to fit as there's no soldering involved.  

So a thumbs up from me.

Edit: I have two

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

IMO I put a Bartolini pickup in a Precision bass and the improvement was 1000%. Spurred on by this great move I added a preamp and got 5% improvement at most. For what that cost It wasn't worth it.

My take on modding is that some things are worth it and many are not. I'd replace the pickups with a good make like Barts or Nordstrands etc, and maybe add a good set of flats and see where you are at that point.

10 minutes ago, gjones said:

The main thing I like about J Retros is that it gives you versatility - you can get any sound out of a Jazz Bass with it installed.

But it also means, if you are using a FOH PA, you can alter your sound before it gets to the desk. I usually add a lot of low mid to ensure that I keep definition when going into a random mixing desk and through the PA.

It's also really easy to fit as there's no soldering involved.  

So a thumbs up from me.

Edit: I have two

Thank you both, it's interesting to see both sides of the argument! As @gjones says, it adds a lot of versatility with the Jazz and I think that's the main thing I miss when I switch from my BTB, I go from having 3 band EQ with mid sweep on hand to a treble pot and pickup volumes on the Jazz. Definitely less versatile! @chris_b I may play the waiting game until a second hand one comes up nearby and also look at changing the pickups over to a decent set or Barts/Nordstrand with the funds I have put by!

IME there are just two ways to ensure that you have as little messing about to should you need to change basses mid-way through the set and not be wanting a different sound.

1. Have two identical basses, or at least two basses with the same pickups (in the same places) and electronics.

2. Use so much signal processing down-stream, that the contribution the bass itself makes to the sound is negligible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

IME there are just two ways to ensure that you have as little messing about to should you need to change basses mid-way through the set and not be wanting a different sound.

1. Have two identical basses, or at least two basses with the same pickups (in the same places) and electronics.

2. Use so much signal processing down-stream, that the contribution the bass itself makes to the sound is negligible. 

Completely agree, it isn't a difference in sound that I'm concerned about, more the versatility and ease of dialling in a sound I want from the jazz and changing that sound quickly and easily as needed. The band I play in plays things from 50's rock and roll, some jazz and then modern pop so versatility of tone is key! The Jazz is not going to sound like the BTB, but I don't want it to, if I want the BTB tone, i'll use that :D! If I can get the output levels similar and then have the versatility to change the tone more without having to resort to pedals, or changing amp settings (usually very flat, let the bass do the talking) then it would be perfect!

I put one in my '72 J bass. It certainly made it a little more versatile in terms of tones. However, I found I couldn't quite get that classic J sound (where you run the neck pickup on full and back off the bridge slightly) using it. It was close, but not quite there. The quality of construction was excellent and the solderless connections made it simple to fit (although the battery was a tight fit in the cavity with the preamp installed). In the end, I removed and sold it.

If you have just one instrument and want it to do everything, it could be useful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I put one in my '72 J bass. It certainly made it a little more versatile in terms of tones. However, I found I couldn't quite get that classic J sound (where you run the neck pickup on full and back off the bridge slightly) using it. 

I have no experience with any John East products, but I had a similar experience when I put an Audere JZ3T in my Jazz Bass. It completely changed the character of the bass, in such a way that I stopped playing that bass altogether. Hated it. I went back to passive VVT but with an active bass boost and couldn't be happier. That said, I'm curious to try a J-Retro or J-Tone. 

I have a uni pre in a Lakland 55-94 - it’s great.

but passive jazz are also lovely as passive basses.

what are you plugging into? If using a preamp pedal tweaking that for the jazz can give you the flexibility you want with the benefits of a passive bass…

that said the uni pre preamp gives most preamps a run for their money soundwise!

23 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

Completely agree, it isn't a difference in sound that I'm concerned about, more the versatility and ease of dialling in a sound I want from the jazz and changing that sound quickly and easily as needed. The band I play in plays things from 50's rock and roll, some jazz and then modern pop so versatility of tone is key! The Jazz is not going to sound like the BTB, but I don't want it to, if I want the BTB tone, i'll use that :D! If I can get the output levels similar and then have the versatility to change the tone more without having to resort to pedals, or changing amp settings (usually very flat, let the bass do the talking) then it would be perfect!

OK, but that wasn't what you appeared to be saying in your OP. 

If you want a wide variety of sounds that are easily accessible then it might be worth looking at a programmable effects unit that includes one or more decent EQ modules. I've never really got on with on-board pre-amps, as I find them too fiddly and tricky to accurately change mid-set. Instead I have a Line6 Helix which does everything I need and more, with a separate preset for each song my bands play that has been EQ'd and level adjusted to match the sounds of the other instruments. I'm sure there will a cheaper device that will be suitable for you.

Edited by BigRedX

• 2 months later...

I've gone through several preamps but the John East pre (after whatever good pickups suit you) is the best money I've

spent. They're about $230 in the States, if that matters, but (I know, I know, up to a point) good sound costs money, so

I put my money down and was very pleased with Mr. East and his superb customer service, even across the pond.

I put a John East pre amp into my EB  Musicman Stingray 3 band eq about 8 yrs ago, kept the original but never swapped back. Lots of versatility. Easy to fit although when I did mine, following the instructions to the letter, it said I should have a green wire last to connect but all I had was a black wire. I knew where it must go so fit it. Everything fine. I emailed JE and he said ‘ Sorry, we knew about that, but haven’t changed the instruction sheet yet’.

they are excellent quality and John is an absolute star and extremely helpful with enquiries - i had a j-east in a old status matrix for a while - it was immense , sounded like jazz bass on steroids BUT it no longer sounded much like a status (even though the tone was very good for a J config) - i took it out of the status because for me it was just too much for gigging i prefer simpler tone controls and powerful passive pups to make you work harder for the tone with your fingers (just my two cents worth) and also Rob adn Dawn at Status were very helpful in providing a nice one off tone circuit they had on the shelf whci i installed and hey presto it once again sounded like a status ought to (but unfortunately not what i was looking for gigging but nice to have it behaving like a status should)

if your emphasis is on studio and recording the j-east will most certainly be a positive for you but depending on your playing style and rig/live feed config you might find it "too much" in live scenarios - i certainly did and went back to totally passive with wizard pickups :)

forgot to add... agree with all the above - especially build quality and versatility, second to none but in the end its all down to tonal preference - would also receommend the glocks (i believe) which are in the sandberg californias they are beastly and seemed a lot more tonally controllable for me in live situations

Edited by steve-bbb

I've got Uni-Pre units in three of mine and have fitted them to other basses previously.  Great units.

John is a top bloke; I've contacted him direct a couple of times and his after service has exceeded expectations in both instances.

• Like 1