Why become a member? ×

Anyone near High Wycombe seeking a Trace combo for £20

Super cheap!!! But not actually very nice. 

Back in the day I had a go with one of these, but the gp12smx equipped 1x15" was so much more the real trace deal and only twice the price!

I guess it was trace's attempt at a cheaper line of kit.

I've got one of these, pulled from a skip at the local recycling centre a few years ago. It just needed the plug rewiring and has worked ever since. If you crank them up, they sound bloody great. Surprisingly heavy for such a small combo though, as I think the cabinet is very dense and thick plywood.

OK....maybe daft question(s) but why the "bike park" split in the front panel? Is it a type of reflex design? What are the advantages / disadvantages etc? I tried looking on t'internet but couldn't see much that related directly. 🤔

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 17:04, Acebassmusic said:

OK....maybe daft question(s) but why the "bike park" split in the front panel? Is it a type of reflex design? What are the advantages / disadvantages etc? I tried looking on t'internet but couldn't see much that related directly. 🤔

It's a slot port. They tend to be used mainly in subwoofers (typically for in-car and home cinema systems). If designed properly, they can work quite well. I heard someone using one of those slotted Trace combos a while back and it sounded quite decent.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It's a slot port. They tend to be used mainly in subwoofers (typically for in-car and home cinema systems). If designed properly, they can work quite well. I heard someone using one of those slotted Trace combos a while back and it sounded quite decent.

Thank you 👍 I shall dig a bit further on that info. 

Edited by Acebassmusic

On 11/02/2024 at 20:28, Dan Dare said:

Isn't the port that horizontal slot at the bottom? I had an idea that the bike park slot was some sort of speaker loading system, like horn loading but more primitive - @Bill Fitzmaurice would be able to answer that, he's done a lot of horn loaded designs.

On 10/02/2024 at 00:14, chriswareham said:

I've got one of these, pulled from a skip at the local recycling centre a few years ago. It just needed the plug rewiring and has worked ever since. If you crank them up, they sound bloody great. Surprisingly heavy for such a small combo though, as I think the cabinet is very dense and thick plywood.

MDF, can suck in black holes at a million miles as it’s so dense. 

• Haha 1