Why become a member? ×

Bass/base guitar (rare)

LowB_FTW

21 hours ago, Rib13Bass said:

Evertime you go Steve Harris and point the bass neck at the crowd, your leg will knock it out of tune

No good for metal, then? That's a first for BC, I think.

• Haha 2

On 14/01/2024 at 05:59, ambient said:

I'm wondering why they didn't buy a proper headless bridge/tuning assembly and do it properly.

The string angles through the bridge are dire but doing it ‘properly’ means double ball end strings only and massively limiting your string choice (in theory you can clamp strings but not all strings like that, TIs in particular). Doing it properly in this case probably means a headstock!

7 hours ago, Boodang said:

The string angles through the bridge are dire but doing it ‘properly’ means double ball end strings only and massively limiting your string choice (in theory you can clamp strings but not all strings like that, TIs in particular). Doing it properly in this case probably means a headstock!

I've only got DBEs on one of my headless basses. One of the Seis can take either DBE or conventional, and I've just moved to conventional so I can put nickel 40-130s on (it's fretless, so I thought I'd try nickels to reduce fretboard wear).

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I've only got DBEs on one of my headless basses. One of the Seis can take either DBE or conventional, and I've just moved to conventional so I can put nickel 40-130s on (it's fretless, so I thought I'd try nickels to reduce fretboard wear).

I've got a headless Sei and found a quite a few normal strings that can't be clamped, including LaBella and D'addario nylon wrap, TI jazz and Galli Synthesis. Basically anything a bit delicate just unwraps under tension if you cut and clamp. So I'm restricted to DBE or strings with sturdy windings.

What I'd like to do is get a headstock fitted to the Sei but everyone I've approached says it's not possible. 

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

I've got a headless Sei and found a quite a few normal strings that can't be clamped, including LaBella and D'addario nylon wrap, TI jazz and Galli Synthesis. Basically anything a bit delicate just unwraps under tension if you cut and clamp. So I'm restricted to DBE or strings with sturdy windings.

What I'd like to do is get a headstock fitted to the Sei but everyone I've approached says it's not possible. 

You obviously need to swap your 5-string Sei Flamboyant for a 5-string fretted Warwick Thumb, which I happen to have just here.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

You obviously need to swap your 5-string Sei Flamboyant for a 5-string fretted Warwick Thumb, which I happen to have just here.

Ah, the Sei is so beautifully made I've hung it on the wall as a work of art!