Why become a member? ×

Scratching your initials into the front of your bass.......!

Chewie

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a possibility, and maybe get someone to finish that small area to match, but would that affect the value 

I’d leave the missing patch of paint, if it were me. However, if I was going to get that section covered, I’d go for a full refin and forget about the potential loss in resale value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I suppose you’d have to because a refinish would ruin it 

My old P looked like it had been dragged behind truck and attacked with a chisel (and that was a refin, or at least so I was told) and putting that right would have detracted from its mojo and story. It played great and sounded phenomenal and if I could go back to when I decided to sell it, I might have a word with myself 😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Yeah. I bought a bass that a ding in the neck, a ‘Ray5. Using the wet cloth and soldering iron technique, it lifted right out. I have since used it on another dinged neck and some furniture that was dinged during a move. The results can vary, but it’s always better than it was.

Mate, that is top info, thank you……  I’m gonna look into it……

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuyR said:

It might affect the price I’d be prepared to pay, but the unsightly initialling wouldn’t stop me buying.

In my experience, there’s a reason basses have this much wear on them, which usually  becomes apparent when you pick them up.

I have just acquired, in the last week, one of these neck dated January 1983, also very well used, maybe not so used-up looking.
There is something different about these. So easy to play - instant extra capabilities. I hadn’t ever tried one before. I am already certain that it won’t be going anywhere.

Heys you’ve got to post some pictures now, Guy………

1 hour ago, Chewie said:

Heys you’ve got to post some pictures now, Guy………

vDpfwYA.jpg

Hope this is not too many pictures. I haven’t weighed it, but it feels like the lightest of my Jazz basses

tdsy3Yk.jpg

o7G9vkO.jpg

4lIsFi8.jpg

cJqsW7Z.jpg
tWp7Cpr.jpg

oeCFsF2.jpgXBjc36g.jpg
FurseYi.jpg

uA6EFFW.jpg
VLn90w7.jpg
HQTuX7Z.jpg

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

Yeah. I bought a bass that a ding in the neck, a ‘Ray5. Using the wet cloth and soldering iron technique, it lifted right out. I have since used it on another dinged neck and some furniture that was dinged during a move. The results can vary, but it’s always better than it was.

Isn't it dents that that works on, as it expands the crushed fibres, rather than scratches? Not saying that it wouldn't work but it might be a case of expanding the wood with the wet cloth and heat so the bottom of the scratch is at the level of the rest of the body, then sanding the scratch out.

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

I'd actually prefer a tastefully refinished bass to an absolutely knackered one. For vintage

I’m into vintage basses and strangely if it’s been refinished that’s the one thing that puts me off buying it, I think the finish is part of its charm and history, but I do agree that if it’s in a bad state for some reason then a good finish can make it look good ,if you intend to keep it it doesn’t matter, but it devalues it considerably 

• Like 2