Why become a member? ×

Maple boards on a Jazz?

Marky L

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='488638' date='May 15 2009, 11:53 AM']as we're posting different basses... mine's a mapleneck/jazz too and I have to say: I wouldn't go back to rosewood anytime soon![/quote]

Lovely Van Der End!

I usually prefer maple too. I have three MIJ Ibanez ATK's, an MIJ '75 RI Jazz and an Ellio Martina Forza 5 with maple boards. My only exceptions are my fretless Sandberg Bullet 5, my Rickenbacker 4003 and my G&L SB-2. I've been playing that '75 RI Jazz most of the time during the last two months, and love it to death!

Edited by LeftyJ

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='488684' date='May 15 2009, 11:27 AM']Lovely Van Der End!

I usually prefer maple too. I have three MIJ Ibanez ATK's, an MIJ '75 RI Jazz and an Ellio Martina Forza 5 with maple boards. My only exceptions are my fretless Sandberg Bullet 5, my Rickenbacker 4003 and my G&L SB-2. I've been playing that '75 RI Jazz most of the time during the last two months, and love it to death![/quote]

i do too as the slap sound is a little brighter.

Heres mine.

If I make my current jazz into a fretless, then I would like to get a new fretted Jazz. I love the Fender American 75 re-issue in natural with maple neck and black block inlays. However, I prefer rosewood on a jazz so I may have to go with a Lakland Darryl Jones as I think the natural fender looks yuck with rosewood neck :) Shame as I don't have a Fender in my collection and quite fancy one at some point.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488693' date='May 15 2009, 11:36 AM']I still struggle to see what significant difference maple or rosewood makes to the tone on a fretted bass. The string never touches the fretboard...![/quote]

Its the resonance of the basses woods that create the tone. Tone woods etc. If your theory is right 4 bass strings mounted to a cricket bat with frets and jazz p/us will sound the same as a fender jazz! Lets hope not!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='488744' date='May 15 2009, 12:07 PM']Its the resonance of the basses woods that create the tone. Tone woods etc. If your theory is right 4 bass strings mounted to a cricket bat with frets and jazz p/us will sound the same as a fender jazz! Lets hope not![/quote]
You misunderstand. I'm just talking about the wood used for the board - not the whole instrument.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488757' date='May 15 2009, 12:17 PM']You misunderstand. I'm just talking about the wood used for the board - not the whole instrument.[/quote]

I would have thought it was the same thing the fretboard would surley contribute to the overall sound of the bass. They say rosewood boards are warmer, and graphite have untold bite. I cant say for sure, but in my veiw surley the whole guitar as a whole and its woods give it that sound?

[quote name='greyparrot' post='488782' date='May 15 2009, 12:37 PM']I would have thought it was the same thing the fretboard would surley contribute to the overall sound of the bass. They say rosewood boards are warmer, and graphite have untold bite. I cant say for sure, but in my veiw surley the whole guitar as a whole and its woods give it that sound?[/quote]
Yes, but what I'm wondering is what [i]significant[/i] difference the thin cap of wood that the frets are seated into make to the overall sound of the bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488787' date='May 15 2009, 12:39 PM']Yes, but what I'm wondering is what [i]significant[/i] difference the thin cap of wood that the frets are seated into make to the overall sound of the bass.[/quote]

Same can be said of maple caps on bodies, but the truth is it has an affect. From my various attempts at the dark art of luthiery, I can confirm that a musical instrument is the sum of its parts and that each one of those parts affects the tone of the instrument, albeit not in equal proportion. This is why I'm baffled why people add layers to the make up of a body just for aesthetic purposes such as a dark veneer between the top and the body wood. It's hard enough trying to predict what it will sound like using two woods let alone three or more.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='488787' date='May 15 2009, 12:39 PM']Yes, but what I'm wondering is what [i]significant[/i] difference the thin cap of wood that the frets are seated into make to the overall sound of the bass.[/quote]

Looking at your stunning fenders, i guess you have the proof in having both maple and rosewood P basses! Personally i would have thought the maple has a little more bite over the roeswood.

it's more the feeling than the actual sound which I prefer. Plus the looks obviously; nothing wrong with a shiney maple neck :)

[quote name='LeftyJ']Lovely Van Der End![/quote]

Thanks! I'm the second (or third?) owner, and it's still in great shape. Only the nut needs replacing.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='488744' date='May 15 2009, 12:07 PM']Its the resonance of the basses woods that create the tone. Tone woods etc. If your theory is right 4 bass strings mounted to a cricket bat with frets and jazz p/us will sound the same as a fender jazz! Lets hope not![/quote]
Hmm - we have plenty of cricket bats knocking about here, I feel a project coming on! :-)

[quote name='pete.young' post='489615' date='May 16 2009, 10:33 AM']Hmm - we have plenty of cricket bats knocking about here, I feel a project coming on! :-)[/quote]
Well people have made them out of hockey sticks before.
Can't find the bass I found a few months ago but here's a guitar version.

Edited by Kongo