Why become a member? ×

NW Bass Bash 2024 - Sat May 18th

rwillett

Dear all,

Putting this in and hoping the mods will pin it.

Looking to get people together for a NW (and Scottish) bass bash in Clapham, North Yorkshire sometime in May 2024, probably Sat May 11th. 18th (note that this has changed)

A number of people live a little north of London and even stuff in the Midlands is a pretty big schlep, so I thought we could get together for a day to playing bass somewhere closer for us.

The Clapham in question here, is NOT the one in South London, it doesn't have eye watering house prices, you can't go cottaging on the Common, you also can't buy Tofu in the local shop (actually you can but that's no fun). This Clapham is in North Yorkhire on the borders of Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire.

See here for more details https://claphamyorkshire.co.uk/

The village hall is community run and we can get it for a day in May, provissionally booked for Sat May 18th 2024 (please note, changed from 11th). It has 1Gb internet access so you aren't out of touch even for a day.

https://claphamyorkshire.co.uk/locals/clapham-village-hall/ <<- This is the right one :)

Clapham is 22 mins off the M6, 35 mins from Skipton, 45 mins from Lancaster and 40 mins from Kendal. It does have a train station and if anybody would like to come by train, we can arrange a free pickup. There is no taxi service there so don't even think about it.

My company will <ahem> sponsor the day so there is no cost to people. I'll see if I can persuade my kids to do teas and coffees.  There is a decent kitchen, but also we do have two excellent pizza joints nearby. My daughter works in one and so we may be able to get a deal,

I am happy to organise and sort things out, however I have never organised a bass bash so if people have ideas of what they want to see, do and have, speak out. If you assume anything, it will not happen, so speak out.

I'll check on what days in May are available. The committee is putting this all online so it's not live yet. I'll speak to them and get some dates.

I'll happily bring my kit along for people to use, I'm not precious about it. So there will be an Fender Jazz bass, a Fender Mustang bass, an Ibanez Mikiro bass, a couple of six string electric, including my 3d printed electric. I *may* have completed a 3d printed bass by then as well, a small Ampeg 30W practise amp and quite a few extension cables. I can also bring a few laptops and ipads as well. The wifi is free.

Can I get some expressions of interest please and also some thoughts on what to do on the day.

Thanks

Rob

People who have expressed an interest (understand that this is not a commitment)

@rwillett - Yes

@Desbass

@vsmith1

@ossyrocks - Yes

@neepheid - Yes

@ead- Yes

@Frank Blank - Yes

@sifi2112 - Yes

Edited by rwillett
Added in neepheid
  • Like 6

Following, though it's unlikely I will be there.

Things to do on the day:

Play basses

Talk rubbish, sometimes about basses

Eat cake

Have a raffle (donated musical odds and sods, proceeds to charity)

Have some sort of demo/comparison/talk thing, preferably related to basses

Talk more 

Take photos 

Help pack up

Drive home happy.

• rwillett changed the title to NW Bass Bash 2024 - May - DATE TBC

Don't forget your seminars or guest speakers. How about a gear test? Maple v Rosewood fretboard is always a good one - can people tell the difference? Cheap v expensive is also an interesting option. 

I have contacts at a couple of distributors who may be able to help with raffle prizes. 

Let me know when you have a date confirmed. 

Hi rwillett.

Once you have a firm date established  I might be able to attend the bash.

Cheers, DesBass

P.s. I can bring some of my collection of basses for"non-dafties" to have a noodle on. (Scottish word for Eejits. Muppets, Tire Kickers!)

Edited by Desbass
updated info

Yes I'm interested. Clapham is not too far away for me. Often playing gigs in Ingleton, Bentham and maybe returning to Settle.

I am willing to bring my Darkglass Exponent 500 to see if anyone is interested. 

Note that with B4RN providing the 1Gbps symmetric connection - you could see if anyone can do some live streaming to those more out of reach areas such as London!

9 minutes ago, vsmith1 said:

Yes I'm interested. Clapham is not too far away for me. Often playing gigs in Ingleton, Bentham and maybe returning to Settle.

I am willing to bring my Darkglass Exponent 500 to see if anyone is interested. 

Note that with B4RN providing the 1Gbps symmetric connection - you could see if anyone can do some live streaming to those more out of reach areas such as London!

The village hall as does the whole village has B4RN.

It's no issue live streaming, though the best camera I have is an HD Webcam. We don't have any of these new fangled vlogging cameras here. 

Bandwidth or latency won't be an issue

12 hours ago, Desbass said:

I can bring some of my collection of basses for"non-dafties" to have a noodle on. (Scottish word for Eejits. Muppets, Tire Kickers!)

I've found that everyone is always very respectful of each others' gear and generous with their own.

I have played Dingwalls, Walls, Alembics (!), Swifts,AGCs, Overwaters,...  all sorts of expensive or irreplaceable instruments.  None of which I would ever have been able to compare or play anywhere else.

• Like 1

• rwillett changed the title to NW Bass Bash 2024 - Sat May 12th (Date still provisional)

Morecombe is close enough. Was there on Monday dropping car off for repair at Whitehouse Motors on Monday at 0800. Hopefully picking it up Friday. 

Always have to resist the urge to drop into Promenade Music, so tend to go very early when they're not open. 

Rob

• Like 1

• rwillett changed the title to NW Bass Bash 2024 - Sat May 18th (Date changed from May 11th to 18th but still provisional depending on numbers)

Dear all,

The date has had to be changed from Sat May 11th to Sat May 18th 2024 as, and I quote, "the 3-peak players have a long standing booking that wasn't in the diary".

Does this date change peoples availability? If so please let me know and I'll take you off the possibly interested list.

Thanks

Rob

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

Dear all,

The date has had to be changed from Sat May 11th to Sat May 18th 2024 as, and I quote, "the 3-peak players have a long standing booking that wasn't in the diary".

Does this date change peoples availability? If so please let me know and I'll take you off the possibly interested list.

Thanks

Rob

I had it in my dairy for Sunday May 12th ?

Anyway, Saturday 18th is ok too.

Rob

I think the shift in date might make it harder for me to make it but if I can get there I will. BTW my mention to "Dafties" playing my basses in an earlier reply was a reference to  numerous people who have come up to me at gigs and said they're bass players and could they try my bass. After my beloved instruments have been dropped and abused by these sort of people I no longer let them "have a shot"! I'm sure the Basschatters who attend Bass-bashes would treat my stuff with care and respect and I would have no problem with anyone having a play on anything I brought to the Bash.

• Like 1

@Desbass

I think given where we are, the chances of any numpties coming is low. We may get a lot of interested senior citizens, quite a lot of whom were/are professionals in their area. As far as I am aware, nobody plays in a band part from the drum teacher at the bottom of the street. I will ask if he's interested inm coming along.

they are welcome to drop my Micro Ibanez as it looks like its being used as a shovel on a building site.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...