Why become a member? ×

Wham

YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='484455' date='May 10 2009, 06:29 PM']Who is the bass player ripping off Bernie edwards on wham rap hes very good.[/quote]

Dione Esttes was the bass player. I think, he went on to play for George Michaels solo career. Great player and a great band.

[quote name='crez5150' post='484475' date='May 10 2009, 06:51 PM']I saw wham before they 'Made it big' at the 100 club..... absolutely fantastic.... DE on bass.... full brass section and girly backing vox.... loads of soul and funk music... DE bass playing is superb...[/quote]

Everybody loved it at the time no one will admit it though.Wish id been old enough to be there.CHOOSE LIFE.

[quote name='YouMa' post='484507' date='May 10 2009, 07:21 PM']Young guns bassline is pretty good to.Who was first then? Edwards or estes. I know Bernard was around funkin in 76 but this dude must have been about the same age.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Mr Bernard Edwards would have been first me thinks...Chic, Sister Sledge...with Nile Rodgers.

Bernards style was unique but i often wonder who he nicked his licks off no one is totally original and im sure its not just motown he was using,there still is very little info on the guy considering how good he was,has anyone got his solo album he did?

Deon Estus played some great bass on those Wham records. There was one of the Wham singles released as an extended 12" where he played a really great Stanley Clarke style solo.
He released a solo album & got a single to number 3 in the US charts.

[quote name='JJTee' post='484585' date='May 10 2009, 08:46 PM']Club Tropicana is great fun to play...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwN_ouVbwPA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwN_ouVbwPA[/url][/quote]

Ahh JJTee wondered where you had been if your still in the collectors market i have a beautiful Pogo patterson at the moment its circa 1980 grange hill one of the last models if you are still trading,hes got a few dings but still has that fantastic faded ginger patina.You got anything for trades at the moment im really after a macluskie mate.

[quote name='Golchen' post='484645' date='May 10 2009, 09:41 PM']I was actually quite a fan of Wham back in the day because of the bass playing of Deon Estus. And that was even before I touched a bass myself.[/quote]

Did you twig about ridgley being the stooge?

[quote name='YouMa' post='484648' date='May 10 2009, 09:43 PM']Did you twig about ridgley being the stooge?[/quote]

Unfair and wrong. If it hadn't been for Ridgely, not only would there not have been Wham!, but there wouldn't have been George Michael either.
He co-wrote some of the early stuff, and was responsible for launching Georges solo career by asking George if he could do something with some music he had written. That song became Careless Whisper.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' post='484744' date='May 11 2009, 12:56 AM']Yeah Deon Estes (or Estus??) great bass player and great job with Wham! specially that solo in "I'm your man" that was one of the best solos of the 80's. Well at least for me.[/quote]

Im just learning that song for tonights rehearsal. im not doing the great man any justice ;-)
Maybe i have a cut down version but i cant hear any solo