Why become a member? ×

The Bassplayers' Bassist

Al Krow

The Bassplayers' Bassist   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your top 3 favourite bass players of all time?

• James Jamerson
    • Carol Kaye
    • John Entwistle
    • John Paul Jones
    • Geddy Lee
    • Pino Palladino
    • Les Claypool
    • Bernard Edwards
    • Chris Squire
    • Duck Dunn
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Paul McCartney
    • Larry Graham
    • Jack Bruce
    • Rutger Gunnarsson
    • Flea
    • Mark King
    • Jack Casady
    • Phil Lesh
    • Ashley Hutchings
    • Cliff Burton
    • Rob Trujillo
    • Geezer Butler
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Marcus Miller
    • Rocco Prestia
    • Norman Watt Roy
    • Robbie Shakespeare
    • Bootsy Collins

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Jaco has a whole 13 votes!

But only 4 strings.

I didn't vote for Jaco because, despite him being arguably the best musician in that list, he wasn't one of the players that influenced the young Paul_5; his influence came later in my musical development.

22 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

But only 4 strings.

I didn't vote for Jaco because, despite him being arguably the best musician in that list, he wasn't one of the players that influenced the young Paul_5; his influence came later in my musical development.

In terms of best "musician", surely that accolade has to go to Macca, followed by Geddy Lee? 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

In terms of best "musician", surely that accolade has to go to Macca, followed by Geddy Lee?

From that list, best musician would surely be the actual best musician? So not Macca, because he most certainly isn't. And bear in mind Geddy has an altar to Les Claypool in his bathroom...

So from that list, I'd say actual best musicians would be Stanley Clarke, Anthony Jackson and probably either Les or Marcus Miller.

And in terms of influencing me, from that list again, it would be Bootsy, Norman Watt Roy and Flea...

15 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

From that list, best musician would surely be the actual best musician? So not Macca, because he most certainly isn't. And bear in mind Geddy has an altar to Les Claypool in his bathroom...

So from that list, I'd say actual best musicians would be Stanley Clarke, Anthony Jackson and probably either Les or Marcus Miller.

And in terms of influencing me, from that list again, it would be Bootsy, Norman Watt Roy and Flea...

But are you then saying that singers are not musicians and the voice is not a musical instrument?

I think the ability to sing, write music, and play an instrument are all aspects of being a musician. And Macca, Geddy Lee and a handful of others could do all three to a very high standard.

If, on the other hand, you're meaning the best bass player (which is what this list is about) then yes I'd agree that Macca wasn't technically anything like as good as some of the others and his pre Jamerson inspired 1965 and earlier stuff was very root/5th in approach.

20 hours ago, zrbass said:

Sorry peeps I almost feel bad for not spotting him. Anyway just to say if you go..."mwah" up and down the fretboard youve got him to thank.

Actually, I think it's Boz Burrell I have to thank. Never heard of Jaco until 15 or 20 years after I first played fretless.

14 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Geddy Lee

Tony Levin

Mick Karn

Loads of great players on that list, but it's not a bassist's list without Levin and Karn.

It's not a bassist's list without Victor Wooten, yet here we are.

Edited by tauzero
Notpicking
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2023 at 16:52, zrbass said:

Sorry peeps I almost feel bad for not spotting him. Anyway just to say if you go..."mwah" up and down the fretboard youve got him to thank.

I think Jaco has just displaced Carol K for a place in the top 10 😊

For me, Jaco Pastorious is an incredible musician but I don't really like him as a bass player. His tone is too trebly and gutless, and he plays too many notes - it's like he's continuously trying to climb out of the space where the bass should be, and he leaves an empty hole behind him. I don't think I'm the only bass player that likes bassy bassists - people who sit in the centre of the tune behind and underneath everyone else, holding it all together; drive the rhythm along; provide a rock solid platform for everyone else to do their thing; and whose sound is big, solid, low-down and powerful.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

For me, Jaco Pastorious is an incredible musician but I don't really like him as a bass player. His tone is too trebly and gutless, and he plays too many notes - it's like he's continuously trying to climb out of the space where the bass should be, and he leaves an empty hole behind him. I don't think I'm the only bass player that likes bassy bassists - people who sit in the centre of the tune behind and underneath everyone else, holding it all together; drive the rhythm along; provide a rock solid platform for everyone else to do their thing; and whose sound is big, solid, low-down and powerful.

Blasphemer !!

I agree. Too many notes 

• Like 1