Why become a member? ×

Head ideas for ultra-low budget setup...

Jamesemt

So our rehearsal room is changing to one without a bass rig... And I can't DI into the PA as I get the impression it's not the best - the room is local so it's not all bad 😂

I've got until early January to get a cheap (really cheap) bass rig. Stupidly I've blown all my spare cash on a recording setup so can only scrape a small amount. Probably around £200. 

I've seen loads of local 2x10s that will suffice - Peavey and Laney territory here, but I need a head. Apart from old Peavey stuff is there anything else out there minimum 300 watts that is dirt cheap? Talking around £100 for the amp leaving me £100 for maybe 2 cheap 210 cabs. I'm not going any larger with cheap cabs as don't want to put my back out... Lol... 

Any ideas would be good. I was supposed to be saving for a Fender Rumble 500 but that is on hold for now. 

Edited to add - I have a sansamp bass driver so would I be better off with a power amp? 

Edited by Jamesemt

Samsamp pedals can only push a fraction of the 'line' level that is standard with old power amps. If you go down that road you want something that switches to .77v input sensitivity. Lower number = more sensitivity less volts required to drive it.

I wouldn't discount a big old fridge cab if you plan on leaving it at the space. Just get some help to get it installed. Perhaps I read too much into your post and this is actually your bass rig not your rehearsal space rig.

3 minutes ago, Jamesemt said:

It'll be my temporary rehearsal rig - at home I use my PC. 

Once this band is gigging then I'll buy something better. 

Can't leave the amp at the rehearsal room... I don't think. 

Peavey TNT might be too heavy to take out the car at home. 

That TC combo I linked is an easy one hand lift. I have one, they are good.

4 hours ago, Jamesemt said:

TNT

is required to destroy one.

Damn right they can be heavy / heavier / so heavy you would think someone poured a slab of concrete inside to make it unstealably heavy, depending on the particular model.

The extra old ones play a cruel joke on the  unsuspecting by having the single central strap handle. Many a back thrown out for sure. The later models aren't nearly as unmanageable but still a fair bit more than a 210 worth of struggle.

Bridging a stereo amp into a single 210 not advisable. Most amps would have way too much power. On the other hand if, it was lacking input sensitivity with your Sansamp it could balance out.

In a rehearsal environment you could get away with single 15 or 210 cab. Putting the cab up on a chair will let you hear it a lot better, and guitarists should do same.

No Virginia, no low end is lost! Hearing the cab better means hearing the midrange better and more like it sounds out front. Should be stenciled on the back of all guitar cabs.

Old Peavey, Trace, Ashdown, Hartke combos can be had for not much, more recently the TC BG series. In fact yesterday I found a mate of mine a Blackstar U250 for £275 on FB, he picked it up and is really pleased with it.

In terms of heads you aren't restricted to big heavy things, there's usually some TC BH and BQ heads going for around £100ish.

If you're near Tamworth there's a TC K410 cab on Facebook for £100.

Edited by lemmywinks

Unless you’re really set on separates (and given your fairly tight financial boundaries) there are often real bargains to be had from older Ashdown combos. You may be able to snag one of their ABM combos for that if you’re ‘right place right time’ lucky. You might even feel you don’t even want/need to upgrade quickly thereafter or at all if you hunt and buy wisely now . They’re not lightweight but you can always stick a set of heavy duty castors on to assist a bit with that.