Why become a member? ×

Replacement speaker for Hartke 115 XL cab

Sorry about that. Had a bad day and to many adult beverages. I thought you meant me stand on top of it! No luck at Hartke for 15" replacement speakers. Hydrive?  Sweetwater?  Are these websites?  Again, my bad. T

4 hours ago, Tjohnlee said:

Sorry about that. Had a bad day and to many adult beverages. I thought you meant me stand on top of it! No luck at Hartke for 15" replacement speakers. Hydrive?  Sweetwater?  Are these websites?  Again, my bad. T

https://www.sweetwater.com/ - massive USA online musical instrument shop. Searching for gear generally brings them out somewhere near the top. They seem happy to give advice on a wide range of subjects so you could try contacting them. And have you tried https://www.hartke.com/contact/ yet?

Really weird how respected Traynor are these days.

Back in the 70s my local musical instrument shop here in the UK which mostly sold home organs and had a handful of Kimbara and Grant badged electric guitars and basses on display was for some reason also a Traynor dealer. No idea why. In those surroundings it made the brand seem like cheap rubbish. My band would on occasion hire one of their 6-channel mixer amps which did nothing to dispel this impression.

Over here the month comes before the day of the month. Again, My bad. Fill it with cement? I work 2-3 times a day! Sorry, a month. We rehearse weekly and the Hartkes are heavy! It sucks being the same age as old people! T. Hey Raslee I'm interested, talk to me!

On 07/12/2023 at 02:56, BigRedX said:

Really weird how respected Traynor are these days.

In the '60s Fender ruled the US and Canada. If you could afford Fender that's what you had. Traynor was one of the second tier brands, an alternate to Fender for the less well heeled. Traynor was essentially a Fender knock off and sounded just as good, or bad in the case of electric bass. Sunn was the bass rig of choice when it came along.

• Like 1

Tjohnlee,

If all else fails, and even hartke.com can't help, except at extortionate price, then there is still a way to put the cab back to good health. However, do not forget the wise words from Phil Starr -

"Any replacement speaker is not going to sound like the Hartke original, even if they are a good match for the cab the midrange which gives most of the character will be entirely different".

There are some well matched speakers with a good tonal balance and with an upper frequency response that appears to extend beyond the Hartke original, which will produce a good result.  I don't think you'll find them lacking in punch. Before we can give you further advice we need your co-operation to provide some measurements.

1. The internal height,  width & depth measurements of the cabinet.
2. The width and height of the slot port.
3. The depth of the top panel to the slot port, measured from the outside.
4. Inches are fine. We can do the conversions.

On 15/12/2023 at 01:54, Balcro said:

Tjohnlee,

If all else fails, and even hartke.com can't help, except at extortionate price, then there is still a way to put the cab back to good health. However, do not forget the wise words from Phil Starr -

"Any replacement speaker is not going to sound like the Hartke original, even if they are a good match for the cab the midrange which gives most of the character will be entirely different".

There are some well matched speakers with a good tonal balance and with an upper frequency response that appears to extend beyond the Hartke original, which will produce a good result.  I don't think you'll find them lacking in punch. Before we can give you further advice we need your co-operation to provide some measurements.

1. The internal height,  width & depth measurements of the cabinet.
2. The width and height of the slot port.
3. The depth of the top panel to the slot port, measured from the outside.
4. Inches are fine. We can do the conversions.

I doubt there would be a good outcome for the OP going down this road, unless with the new model Hartke driver. Reading between the lines, the tone he got from the original driver was a lusty bark from the aluminium cone being overdriven within a fraction of a mm of its life. After some years of this it gave way. Poor little man trying to keep up with his big cousin 410. 

Thanks to Balcro, Bassman Paul, and apologies to all! I just received, in less than 36hrs, an HD115 from Samson/ Hartke! I bolted right in and I just played "Little Guitars" by VH, and "Young" by Nickle Creek! The transient attack is better! But the look is gone, it looks like I have 410s on top of 1 10, but I'm not so vain! Love Carly, I was there on Martha's Vinyard. Maybe I will try the 15 on top of the 410! Fresh strings are next!   

1 hour ago, Tjohnlee said:

Thanks to Balcro, Bassman Paul, and apologies to all! I just received, in less than 36hrs, an HD115 from Samson/ Hartke! I bolted right in and I just played "Little Guitars" by VH, and "Young" by Nickle Creek! The transient attack is better! But the look is gone, it looks like I have 410s on top of 1 10, but I'm not so vain! Love Carly, I was there on Martha's Vinyard. Maybe I will try the 15 on top of the 410! Fresh strings are next!   

Definitely put the 15 on top. The 4x10 can handle more power so having the 15 closer to your ears means you can hear when it’s starting to struggle :)

• Like 1

My fellow Bass players, I'm sure I didn't overdrive my system. Such a smooth, powerful sound with my Aria Cardinal Pro-2 CSB380, I have 2 and there both blue. I use D'Addario XLs. Right in the middle of a song it started barking! Horribly! Playing with friends and family, not the band, tomorrow. Maybe during a break I'll put the 15 on top! 

Just now, Tjohnlee said:

My fellow Bass players, I'm sure I didn't overdrive my system. Such a smooth, powerful sound with my Aria Cardinal Pro-2 CSB380, I have 2 and there both blue. I use D'Addario XLs. Right in the middle of a song it started barking! Horribly! Playing with friends and family, not the band, tomorrow. Maybe during a break I'll put the 15 on top! 

Love the Rush fans over there 2112! I've gotta wait a long time for that to work over here! All of you guys. When 's the last time you listened to the original recording! The whole side A?  Lessons?  AMAZING!!!

Hey! I just realized that over here, and over there that 2112 or 1221 is the shortest day of the year! I wrote an instrumental, all my life I wanted to sing badly, and I do! So, I named it The Shortest Day. Maybe I'll dig up the 4-track tape!