Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Three10 Teaser: Anybody Know More?

Obrienp

15 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

That is an over simplification. Tube amps give a pleasing  distortion when pushed too far.  If a cabinet is rated for 750W you need at least that much to make it 'sing'. 

I wasn't trying to be comprehensive

17 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

That is an over simplification. Tube amps give a pleasing  distortion when pushed too far.  If a cabinet is rated for 750W you need at least that much to make it 'sing'. 

Valve amps have little magic but many components that tend to distort/compress in a musically pleasing way when pushed hard. A valve amp rated at say 100 watts RMS, at 0.1% distortion can only give 141.4 watts RMS when fully driven into distortion (i.e.close to a square wave). Also a bass cabinet should not be driver close to its thermal rating. If you push a speaker so hard that it "colours" the sound, you are probably close to blowing it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

. . . .  If a cabinet is rated for 750W you need at least that much to make it 'sing'. 

You, your bass and your amp should be creating your sound. The cab should be distributing that sound to your audience not changing it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

You, your bass and your amp should be creating your sound. The cab should be distributing that sound to your audience not changing it.

Depends, I actually really like the colour the Aguilar DB cabs add to a sound, more so the DB12/DB212.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

The cab is part of the tone generation. That's why there are different choices. Amps sound vastly different with different cabs.

FRFR cabs are relatively new in the bass world.

• Like 1

There are two camps on this issue. The first sees the bass as an electric guitar, where the speaker is responsible in part for the electric guitar's sound. The second believes that the bass guitar has more in common with the double bass, which needs an accurate, uncoloured reproduction system when amplified.

• Like 6

On 21/05/2024 at 19:40, stevie said:

There are two camps on this issue. The first sees the bass as an electric guitar, where the speaker is responsible in part for the electric guitar's sound. The second believes that the bass guitar has more in common with the double bass, which needs an accurate, uncoloured reproduction system when amplified.

I think the first camp in exists large part because in times past (say 20 to 30 years ago) it was the only economically viable one for most people unless you were going to say import some Acme LowB's at eye watering cost. Of course some people like the sound of "bass" speakers (the intended audience of the BF 10 range) but I'm not one of them, I want my bass to sound like it does though headphone or my computer/studio setup floor standers which I use when practicing.

The other point is that many people who think they need the bass speaker sound probably don't once they have heard a properly setup and EQed FRFR type setup and there are a whole bunch of advantages that come with this such as your DI (and thus monitors and FoH) having the same tone as what you are hearing.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 1

For myself and my mostly rock material I play, the warmer 10’s seemed the logical choice compared to the 12’s

I play a PBass with a pick so I don’t need any additional clarity but I need warmth and depth and a smooth tone. 

The 310 seems the logical one cab solution to have the power yet sensible on stage size and ease of transport. 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

For myself and my mostly rock material I play, the warmer 10’s seemed the logical choice compared to the 12’s

I play a PBass with a pick so I don’t need any additional clarity but I need warmth and depth and a smooth tone. 

The 310 seems the logical one cab solution to have the power yet sensible on stage size and ease of transport. 

I also need warmth, depth and a smooth tone in my sound. That's why I use Aguilar amps, a Lull PJ5 and a Sadowsky Jazz.

I get all the warmth etc from those guys and don't need any colouration from the cabs.

I'm sure your 310 will sound great.

• Like 2

there's a million ways to get the right tone. Probably thousands of ways to get the same tone.

I like what the BF 10 inch cabs do to my tone, but I also really like the DI from my Mark Bass head, just with a load of compression on it too.

To my ears, Ashdowns and Ampegs need the cab to sound right to me. Mark Bass sound right to me without a cab at all.

It's all good.

I both want a Three10T and also want to not need it! :D 

• Like 3