Why become a member? ×

Can "c0ck" please be removed from the swear filter?

neepheid

Question

It has many meanings.  Today I used it to mean mistake (as in "c0ck up") and I saw someone refer to a licensed establishment with the word "C0ck" in its name.  C0ck a gun.  Male chickens.  Just because it can mean penis or be used as an offensive term to question a person's sanity/competence, doesn't mean it always is and it kinda annoyed me today.

As you were...

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Geek99 said:

So one could not be c o c k a hoop about anything … or go off “half c.  Ked”. It has a wide variety of meanings in everyday use unlike say f cu  k 

"Feck, the feckin fecker's feckin fecked!". Shows it is in fact highly feckin versatile enough to cover exclamation adjective noun adverb and verb in the one sentence.

There's a lot of words which wouldn't fall foul of BBC watershed rules which get filtered. B1tch, ar$e/a$$, d1ck, but not prick or tit. Please just drop it down to the BBC watershed words - fvck, cvnt, shït, all of which any seven year old child will know anyway so the whole "think of the children" idea is ludicrous anyway.

Edited by tauzero
Changed to avoid filter avoidance filter

On 19/11/2023 at 07:45, neepheid said:

It has many meanings.  Today I used it to mean mistake (as in "c0ck up") and I saw someone refer to a licensed establishment with the word "C0ck" in its name.  C0ck a gun.  Male chickens.  Just because it can mean penis or be used as an offensive term to question a person's sanity/competence, doesn't mean it always is and it kinda annoyed me today.

As you were...

I completely agree with this. I used it once within a reference to Londoners born within the sound of Bow Bells, and it was somehow replaced with an asinine, infantile euphemism that any schoolchild would associate with an actual penis. This did rather alter the intended meaning.

On 20/11/2023 at 13:44, tauzero said:

There's a lot of words which wouldn't fall foul of BBC watershed rules which get filtered. B1tch, ar$e/a$$, d1ck, but not prick or tit. Please just drop it down to the BBC watershed words - fvck, cvnt, shït, all of which any seven year old child will know anyway so the whole "think of the children" idea is ludicrous anyway.

That is a good standard to aim for.

On 19/11/2023 at 12:45, neepheid said:

As you were...

Agree, and it made a right mess of the thread I started about male chickens born in the east end of London running around highly excited while prepping their shotguns for action and tilting their heads to one side

• Haha 3

I got in trouble for circumventing  the c0ck filter on a Saab forum, they told me it was because it was a family forum and young kids might be reading. These are young kids that like Saabs but have never watched Top Gear, right? 🙄