Why become a member? ×

What do certain makes of bass say to you?

Linus27

[b]Fender Precision [/b]- Proper bass done bad, Played by the herd.

[b]Lakland[/b] - Proper bass done good. Played by the discerning.

[b]Wal[/b] - Thoroughbred. Played by the cognoscenti.

[b]The rest [/b]- Interesting but largely irrelevant.

Musicman Stingray - Melinda Messenger
Status - Katie Price
Warwick - Germaine Greer
Gibson Thunderbird/Flying V - Jodie Marsh
Spector - Sara Palin
Wal - Heidi Klum
Fender Precision - Angelina Jolie
Fender Jazz - Madonna
Fender Telecaster - Hillary Clinton
Fender Jaguar - Maxine Carr
Yamaha - John Prescott
Lakland - Pixie Geldof
Sadowsky - Peaches Geldof
Bass Collection - Myleene Klass
Ibanez - Paris Hilton
Washburn - Jerry Hall
Alembic - Arsenio Hall
Shuker - Royal Albert Hall
Gordon Smith - Local Scout Hall

[quote name='chris_b' post='483624' date='May 9 2009, 11:29 AM'][b]Fender Precision [/b]- Proper bass done bad, Played by the herd.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: I demand a retraction :lol: :D

50 secs into this video of The Herd, Gary Taylor can quite clearly be seen playing a Jazz.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_hYRNlLD0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_hYRNlLD0[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Linus27' post='483301' date='May 8 2009, 08:56 PM'][b]Gibson Thunderbird/Flying V[/b] - Why?[/quote]
Just.........because :brow:

[quote name='silddx' post='483631' date='May 9 2009, 11:40 AM']Gordon Smith - Local Scout Hall[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Mr.T' post='483599' date='May 9 2009, 10:22 AM'][quote name='Zach']headless - bauhaus movement[/quote]?
[/quote]

Unless I'm mistaked, the bauhaus movement can be summoned up with the statement of 'form follows function', which I think applies to headless basses, because although they do seem to look odd and have something missing, they do so to increase the balance and other aspects i.e. the form of the bass came second to the function when designing it.

[b]Fender[/b] - Old and dated and still think they are in the 60's...but are ultra comfy and sound awesome:

P-bass = Simple, single pickup, one tone...but it's all you want when you play one. Ultra beef and consistant sound from amp to amp.
J-bass = "Liquid steel" tone. From clarity to beef and respond well to differing neck and bridge pickup heights.

[b]Ibanez[/b] - Modern concepts, known for metal bands but can be used anywhere. The Super Fender company:

SR = The RG of the bass guitar. Tried and tested, contoured, range of tones, 34" scale for trad bassists.
SRX = As above but have a stronger, meatier tone and are aimed at heavier play bassists. Slightly cheaper too.
BTB = The Jazz section of Ibanez. Huge bodies, Huge string spacing...HUGE necks, pickups based on Dynamics not tone but with an all out Active EQ for shaping. 35" for articulation but may be too big for some to play.

[b]Yamaha[/b] - Make great basses from entry to high end. Bassists who play them are often only known by bassist bassists.

RBX = Cheap and cheerful. Great for starting. PJ pickups, 24 frets...you've got everything you need to take over the world here! Great string spacing.
TRB = 35" scale and a lot "More like it". Great string spacing.
BB = Yamaha's golden oldie. As with alot of things Jap, it's bassed on American concepts to help sales.

[b]Musicman[/b] - Make great but EXPENSIVE basses...Suck at making cheaper ranges (SUB and OLP died) and make life hell for anyone who wants a proper Stringray...Then wonder why Fender are more successful.

Stringray = Such a legend...Such BEEF from a single pickup and feel in between a P-bass and J-bass.
Bongo = Erm these are very odd...However they just made a 6-string! Also forced a 2 pickup option on the Stingray.

[b]G&L[/b] - Take Fender comfort and Musicman electronics and put them together. Awesome basses made by an old but still visionary man who started it all.

ASAT = Finally...A Telebass...with pickups to blow up the rehearsal room!
L-2000 / 2500 = 4 and 5-string versions of an UBER P-bass and Stingray put together. 3 dials and 3 switches = 100's of tone options!!! I must own!

[b]Overwater[/b] = Excellent basses made in my homeland...What more could you want? Do any scale length you could want! Not played enough to say about models but I'll have one some day.

[b]Status[/b] = Reminds me of Mark King ALOT! Have modern features and Graphite necks but also smell very retro.

That'll do for now.

Odd that 2 people have commented on the weight of Warwick basses and yet with my latest obsession in bass weight loss I've only found ONE bass that is lighter than either my SSI or SSII (yes the 2nd one is Afzelia which can be heavy)! I'm not here to stand up and defend all Warwick basses (regardless of the fact that I have 3 for sale :rolleyes: ) and I've no idea what model the references were aimed at but I do know that the OP stated Warwick = heavy but would love to try a Spector; I've owned 2 Spector Euros and recently have tried 2 USA Spectors... ALL of the Spectors weighed more than EITHER of my Streamers! Not entirely different basses Warwick/Spector but it is amusing to see how prejudices can be formed :) Hmmm :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='483690' date='May 9 2009, 01:46 PM']Odd that 2 people have commented on the weight of Warwick basses and yet with my latest obsession in bass weight loss I've only found ONE bass that is lighter than either my SSI or SSII (yes the 2nd one is Afzelia which can be heavy)! I'm not here to stand up and defend all Warwick basses (regardless of the fact that I have 3 for sale :rolleyes: ) and I've no idea what model the references were aimed at but I do know that the OP stated Warwick = heavy but would love to try a Spector; I've owned 2 Spector Euros and recently have tried 2 USA Spectors... ALL of the Spectors weighed more than EITHER of my Streamers! Not entirely different basses Warwick/Spector but it is amusing to see how prejudices can be formed :) Hmmm :lol:[/quote]

I always thought weight to be a good thing anyways.

I have a Cort Curbow (tiny body, modern materials etc.) which apparently weighs in at 7lbs (which seems pretty light to me). My Vampyre is about 9lbs (or so the web says) and I can't say I really notice the difference. Any hoo...

Warwick - growl!
Fender - yawn.
Headless - Bill & Ted

Edited by Eight

Musicman Stingray - Flea, my choice of sound for aggressive slightly overdriven bass sounds.
Warwick - Wouldn't want to be seen playing it, for some reason.
Wal - Rus
Fender Precision - Great sound, rock music, plectrum
Fender Jazz - All round bass, unoriginal, sexy when old with blocks and bindings
Fender Telecaster - Telecasters <3!
Yamaha - Okay basses, some great series, some sh*t series
Ibanez - My personal favourite bass, you have to be lucky to get a good one sometimes
Alembic - Horrible looks, great sound
Lakland - They can't seem to make up their mind, are we going to do a musicman or jazzbass? Oh what the heck, we'll mix em!
Bass Collection - First bass, lightweight, decent and trashable without breaking

those too

but lakland 4 series say the same to me

and I think it's not a bad thing, mind you :) [url="http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g263/MuseMatt/Gear/100_3779.jpg"]this[/url] being one of my basses I'll never sell :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='483347' date='May 8 2009, 10:12 PM'][b]Overwater[/b] - The be all and end all.[/quote]
+1 :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='483566' date='May 9 2009, 09:14 AM']could I ever play a headless and not look silly?[/quote]
Just do it with confidence. Groove like a good 'un and the rest of the world will learn to deal with it. :rolleyes::)
Headless = either Mark King wannabe or individualist with an appreciation of good balance. Or both. ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673[/url]

[quote name='Kongo' post='483677' date='May 9 2009, 01:27 PM'][b]Overwater[/b] = Excellent basses made in my homeland...What more could you want? ....I'll have one some day.[/quote]

I thought so for years. Now I have one! :rolleyes: :D :lol:

[quote name='Eight' post='483740' date='May 9 2009, 02:53 PM']I have a Cort Curbow (tiny body, modern materials etc.) which apparently weighs in at 7lbs (which seems pretty light to me). My Vampyre is about 9lbs (or so the web says) and I can't say I really notice the difference. Any hoo...

Warwick - growl!
Fender - yawn.
Headless - Bill & Ted[/quote]

1lb is a very small difference to weight so 2 will be un noticable.
The Curbow is that 27 fret model isn't it? Very strange one.

[b]Fender[/b]: Reliable, solid, does the job and suits everything. The vanilla of basses, but who doesn't like vanilla ?
[b]Musicman[/b]: Battling it out with Fender but never winning, high quality basses but perhaps overpriced. Often misjudged as not being versatile.
[b]Lakland[/b]: Taking Fender's designs and improving the quality, nothing innovative but suits the bassist looking for a super Fender.
[b]Ibanez[/b]: Some great designs but seems to lack the kudos of the US manufacturers. Mainly played by metallers.
[b]Yamaha[/b]: Much like it's Japanese brother, Yamaha make some cracking instruments but they lack the history and street cred to be played by many bassists beyond their starter years.
[b]Warwick[/b]: The sound of wood ? Original designs (let's not mention the Streamer though !) and new models frequently. Chunky neck doesn't suit everyone, definitely a Marmite bass.
[b]Sadowsky[/b]: For Fender fans with too much cash :).
[b]Washburn[/b]: Nothing wrong with them, good starter basses but I wouldn't be seen dead with one.

[quote name='silddx' post='483631' date='May 9 2009, 11:40 AM']Musicman Stingray - Melinda Messenger
Status - Katie Price
Warwick - Germaine Greer
Gibson Thunderbird/Flying V - Jodie Marsh
Spector - Sara Palin
Wal - Heidi Klum
Fender Precision - Angelina Jolie
Fender Jazz - Madonna
Fender Telecaster - Hillary Clinton
Fender Jaguar - Maxine Carr
Yamaha - John Prescott
Lakland - Pixie Geldof
Sadowsky - Peaches Geldof
Bass Collection - Myleene Klass
Ibanez - Paris Hilton
Washburn - Jerry Hall
Alembic - Arsenio Hall
Shuker - Royal Albert Hall
Gordon Smith - Local Scout Hall[/quote]

HAHA that is genuis although I question some of your connections :):)