Why become a member? ×

What do certain makes of bass say to you?

Linus27

Just a bit of fun and certainly not to be taken too seriously.

What do certain makes of bass say to you? When you hear the name or someone tells you they own one, what springs to mine?

Here are mine,

[b]Musicman Stingray[/b] - Solid, reliable, perfect, will I get a good sound out of it tonight, hope its not in that horrible honey colour, best looking bass in the world.
[b]Status[/b] - Expensive looking, the 1990's, graphite, plastic looking, looks cool in black, Will it be played around the neck and slapped?
[b]Warwick[/b] - Yummy looks, necks too long, why does it not look heavy but is, love one but would hate playing it.
[b]Gibson Thunderbird/Flying V[/b] - Why?
[b]Spector[/b] - Yummy looking, must play one oneday, Sting.
[b]Wal[/b] - The 1980's, a tree with strings, nice fretless sound.
[b]Fender Precision[/b] - Punk, workhorse, obvious, simple, bland, boring but great, perfect bass tone.
[b]Fender Jazz[/b] - Smooth, subtle, facinating, the smart bass.
[b]Fender Telecaster[/b] - Yeah baby, you is the king, why did Fender change your looks as you are perfect.
[b]Fender Jaguar[/b] - Either he knows something I don't or is trying to look different, must try one just see what all the fuss is about, where are the horns?, what are all those switches doing on a bass?
[b]Yamaha[/b] - They make motorbikes, how can they make a bass sound good, some look nice, some look cheap. Nathan East.
[b]Ibanez[/b] - Why do they look so cheap and thin yet sound so great?, Girls always seem to pick them to play.
[b]Alembic[/b] - Who designed this thing, someone from King Arthur's day?, I like those round bridge things, Mark King, LED lights.
[b]Washburn[/b] - Red, they are always red, starter bass but somehow good, pointing heads, still more red.
[b]Lakland[/b] - Why are they copying everything Fender has done?, surprisingly great, is it going to fall apart?.
[b]Bass Collection[/b] - Great bass lost to history usually played by girls. Looks uber sexy in black.

Like I say, just a bit of fun :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='483322' date='May 8 2009, 09:28 PM']So this is about what impression the bass gives you of the player and the night ahead?[/quote]

Anything really. Just what ever springs to mind when you think of that bass from a personel perspective or the impression you have, despite never owning or even playing one.

JayDee... Oh God, not another Mark King Wannabee!

I agree that a black headless Status looks cool (I would, wouldn't I) particularly when worn at the 'proper' height (on the gut) and being played finger-style!

Fender - Why have they not acknowledged their roots and produced the Fender Mondeo OR Why is a Precision like a nose ? Everybodys got one ! (just a joke sheeple) :rolleyes:
Guild - Why did you stop making basses ?
Gibson - How much !!
Alembic - Isn't the Stan thing getting a little tired ?
Minarik - So Acid on your cornflakes isn't enough

OK just a joke, I'll get my asbestos coat and leave :)

[b]Fender[/b]: Old. Ancient. Antonio Stradivari didnt design the first violin, yet he nailed it. To reach perfection, you need to improve. A LOT!
[b]Lakland & Sadowsky[/b]: Excuse me? Why on hell would you repeat the same old mistakes?
[b]Warwick[/b]: Should include in their price your first visit to the chiropractor.
[b]All Headless[/b]: Pain killer. Perfect balance and ergonomics. The Joy of Playing.
[b]Ibanez (Soundgear)[/b]: Ferrari. Air-thin neck. Time to humiliate a few guitards.
[b]Washburn[/b]: Lack of taste.
[b]Rickenbacker[/b]: King Crimson, Yes. The sound of an age when rock music was an art instead of a show.
[b]Ritter[/b]: Michelangelo, Leonardo. The gates of Heaven are open and angels walk amongst us.

[quote name='Linus27' post='483467' date='May 9 2009, 09:38 AM'][b]Rickenbacker[/b] What a total mess, trying to be a guitar or look different, the morris dancer of bass guitars[/quote]

How can you possibly call a Rickenbacker a "total mess"...???

[quote]How can you possibly call a Rickenbacker a "total mess"...???[/quote]

All down to taste really. I personally would never have a fender (hate the body shape) but do love the sound they have. Wouldn't have a Ricky either for the same reason.