Why become a member? ×

What do certain makes of bass say to you?

Linus27

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='483690' date='May 9 2009, 01:46 PM']Odd that 2 people have commented on the weight of Warwick basses and yet with my latest obsession in bass weight loss I've only found ONE bass that is lighter than either my SSI or SSII (yes the 2nd one is Afzelia which can be heavy)! I'm not here to stand up and defend all Warwick basses (regardless of the fact that I have 3 for sale :rolleyes: ) and I've no idea what model the references were aimed at but I do know that the OP stated Warwick = heavy but would love to try a Spector; I've owned 2 Spector Euros and recently have tried 2 USA Spectors... ALL of the Spectors weighed more than EITHER of my Streamers! Not entirely different basses Warwick/Spector but it is amusing to see how prejudices can be formed :) Hmmm :lol:[/quote]

Not prejudices, just perception. I think, I originally said why does it not look heavy but is. Again, perception. They look yummy, sleek and stylish but when you pick one up, my thought everytime is bloody hell, its heavy and feels solid. It's just that they don't look heavy. They look thin and light to me. The Spector, again, looks yummy, just like a Streamer but I have never seen one in the flesh so I can't comment on them. Its all just perception and certainly not prejudices.

[quote name='Machines' post='483805' date='May 9 2009, 04:15 PM']My Corvette is lighter than my Jazz/Precision and RBX (I reckon it's about 8lbs)[/quote]

Whoa lighter than an RBX? They are WAAAAAAY too light for me!
Jazz basses are quite heavy on the body and my P-bass is heavier now it has HipShot tuners on it LOL!

[quote name='Machines' post='483831' date='May 9 2009, 04:45 PM']The RBX is alder like my Jazz.. the Corvette is swamp ash.[/quote]

Swamp Ash explains it all...But if a Corvette is lighter than my old RBX I guess I might scratch it off my list...Not until I play one though.

[quote name='Kongo' post='483782' date='May 9 2009, 03:49 PM']1lb is a very small difference to weight so 2 will be un noticable.[/quote]

That's nonsense. I have chronic back & neck problems and half a pound can make a difference.

[quote name='4000' post='483851' date='May 9 2009, 05:18 PM']That's nonsense. I have chronic back & neck problems and half a pound can make a difference.[/quote]

Well you just said it all there "Chronic back and neck problems".
Of course you can feel the difference your adding disability and pain barrier into the equation......

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Machines' post='483805' date='May 9 2009, 04:15 PM']My Corvette is lighter than my Jazz/Precision and RBX (I reckon it's about 8lbs)[/quote]

My Streamer Stage 1 4 string (a '91) weighed about 8 lbs, as have most of the others I've played.

[quote name='Kongo' post='483853' date='May 9 2009, 05:20 PM']Well you just said it all there "Chronic back and neck problems".
Of course you can feel the difference your adding disability and pain barrier into the equation......[/quote]

But you made a blanket statement......which is why I posted. Many players have back problems so they will probably feel the difference too. FWIW my Rick CS was about 2 pounds heavier than my '72, and [i]everyone[/i] could feel the difference in those.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='483856' date='May 9 2009, 05:23 PM']But you made a blanket statement......which is why I posted. Many players have back problems so they will probably feel the difference too.[/quote]

Maybe but all I said was that 1lb is very small in weight, as is 2lb so I stand by what I said.
Have you tried a 4" or 4 1/2" strap? That'll make everything in weight un noticable.
I don't have a great back either and until using that width strap found my BTB's to be too heavy but they are heavy.
But my other basses are hardly noticable...maybe it's a shape / counter balance thing?
Being neck heavy is more noticable than body heavy to me.

[quote name='silddx' post='483631' date='May 9 2009, 11:40 AM']Warwick - Germaine Greer
Ibanez - Paris Hilton[/quote]
Germaine Greer?!?!?! I'd laugh, but since I own one this is quite annoying. :)

Paris Hilton for Ibanez is inspired though. Cheap, bit simple - but you still would.

[quote name='Eight' post='483862' date='May 9 2009, 05:31 PM']Germaine Greer?!?!?! I'd laugh, but since I own one this is quite annoying. :)

Paris Hilton for Ibanez is inspired though. Cheap, bit simple - but you still would.[/quote]

Not sure I'd call an Ibanez SR Prestige cheap @ £1,598.98.
Not all Ibanez are cheap you know...Though the comparison is quite good LOL!

Madonna being a Jazz bass... does this mean this bass is past it's sell by date then? LOOOOOOL!!!

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='483869' date='May 9 2009, 05:47 PM']I've never even had a hint of neck dive on my J-Bass, I don't know where you get that from. :)[/quote]

LOL +1 on that.
PLus...wouldn't a fat body and skinny neck make uhm...more body heavy?
The Jazz Body is quite big so even putting heavy tuners on it won't make it dive.
The P-bass is easy to top though unfortunatly.

[quote name='Kongo' post='483861' date='May 9 2009, 05:28 PM']Maybe but all I said was that 1lb is very small in weight, as is 2lb so I stand by what I said.
Have you tried a 4" or 4 1/2" strap? That'll make everything in weight un noticable.
I don't have a great back either and until using that width strap found my BTB's to be too heavy but they are heavy.
But my other basses are hardly noticable...maybe it's a shape / counter balance thing?
Being neck heavy is more noticable than body heavy to me.[/quote]

A reply from another 'walking wounded'! :)

Weight/Mass is not negated by having a wider strap... period. It may not impact on a particular area of the shoulder or back but when the issue is 'weight', a wider strap does nothing, neither does a perfectly balanced bass!

As for 1lb or 2lb being a small weight. Agreed... if we are comparing the weight of a pair of elephants. :rolleyes: However when an instrument weighs 8lb and you talk about slinging a 10lb bass around your neck you are talking about 25% more weight. :lol: Hardly a small increase and very pertinent to bass selection.

Sorry but the weight thing appears to be sidetracking the thread so back on task.

Warwick/Status Buzzard - Pterodactyl

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='483908' date='May 9 2009, 06:35 PM']A reply from another 'walking wounded'! :)

Weight/Mass is not negated by having a wider strap... period. It may not impact on a particular area of the shoulder or back but when the issue is 'weight', a wider strap does nothing, neither does a perfectly balanced bass!

As for 1lb or 2lb being a small weight. Agreed... if we are comparing the weight of a pair of elephants. :rolleyes: However when an instrument weighs 8lb and you talk about slinging a 10lb bass around your neck you are talking about 25% more weight. :D Hardly a small increase and very pertinent to bass selection.

Sorry but the weight thing appears to be sidetracking the thread so back on task.

Warwick/Status Buzzard - Pterodactyl[/quote]

Agreed on all counts. :lol:

BTW, deleted previous thread as the quote puts it far more succinctly. Athangyou.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='483952' date='May 9 2009, 07:26 PM']You ask a guitarist if he can tell the weight difference between and 8lb Les Paul and a 10lb one and I'm sure that 99% of them would [i]definitely[/i] be able to tell the difference.[/quote]

LOL guitarists think Strat's are heavy! :)
Ok maybe we are getting that confusion you get when you try to explain something with text.

That said, a wider strap helps me no end.
I can't stand for too long with a Jazz bass / BTB with a 2" strap but my 4" leather strap makes my bass feel weightless.
It doesn;t reduce weight it just displaces it on a wider surfacr area.
Much like walking in snow with shoes vs those tennis raquet things (can't remember the real name). You sink in much less with a larger surface area and so the weight of a bass sinks into your shoulder region less with a wider strap.

Maybe it's not true for everyone but I'm never using 2" again.

And yeah, I too will end there as the thread seems to have been hi-jacked so lemmie help rectify:

[b]Lakland[/b] - Interesting modern approach to Fender designs. ALso work in 35" scale and have a Skyline series offering great quality for a lesser price.

[quote name='Clarky' post='483963' date='May 9 2009, 07:40 PM']Ritter - make Warwicks look sexy

[attachment=24985:ritter_bass_body2.jpg][attachment=24986:ugly_dog_pic.jpg][/quote]

Bass looks similar to CT basses.

[b]OH YEAH!!!

Carl Thompson[/b] - Awesome and HEAVILY priced custom handbuilt basses. The STAPLE Of Les Claypools sound, of which he owns way over 10 now. $10,000 for a Rainbow Bass replica? Think I'll pass...

Rickenbacker - Driving, melodic
Fender - Supportive
Ibanez - Doubled riffs
Warwick - Syncopated funk
Musicman - Attack
Status - Slap
Alembic - Sophisticated
Fodera - Noodly
:)

Edited by 4000

Well you did ask...

Musicman Stingray - Looks like a banjo.
Status - At least they don't look like they're from the 50's, hint of Formula 1.
Warwick - Touch of thalidomide about 'em.
Gibson Thunderbird - Quadrilateral theme.
Fender - The guitar name.
Yamaha - Great build quality until they break.
Ibanez - Lotto purchase, the well made ones are great.