Why become a member? ×

Best Way for a newbie to learn bass..

Guest NOODS

What would you recommend for a  newbie staring on a electric 4 string bass? 

Private tuition?

Self teaching via books ( titles please ) ?

TubeYou for tuition? 

None of the above … 

Thanks 

Edited by NOODS

• Guest changed the title to Best Way for a newbie to learn bass..

Based on my own experience, I'd say learn to play the music you like, first, by whatever means stimulates you. There is no right way other than the one which keeps you interested.

You can move on the becoming the new Jancko Pansaurdius later, but start by finding the joy in playing music first.

• Like 9

As above.

If I was starting out now, I'd need to have some motivation. That'll be different for everyone. In my case, it would be to be able to play a few songs with other musicians but it could equally be to be able to record a bass cover video of your favourite song or just to be able to play along to your favourite album. Set little goals so you know when you've achieved something.

Scales, theory, reading - all important and will bring you immense benefits, but don't let then get in the way of enjoying the playing. If learning the bass becomes a chore in the early stages, it might be enough to put you off.

I started off playing guitar and after I'd got some of the basics, the biggest improvement came through playing with other musicians. It allowed me to listen, question, learn, make mistakes, correct them, build confidence and contribute to a great vibe - which itself became a reason to learn and play more.

There is a wealth of resource on this site. Not just the Theory and Technique section but many of the discussion threads as well - I've picked up loads of little hints and tricks by reading posts that aren't necessarily about technique.

Above all - have fun. At last night's rehearsal we had to take a 5 minute break as everyone was laughing. I can't even remember what it was about. 😃

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1

First step would be to get whatever bass you have set up correctly - nice low action (so the strings are not really high off the fingerboard), nut slots are cut correctly for the same reason and to ensure that the intonation is good (so what you play sounds good and in tune).

Making sure all this is done first will ensure that your learning experience will be a pleasant and fun one seeing that you won't have to fight the instrument needlessly. 

I wish I knew this when I started learning! I would have progressed a lot quicker if I had known.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NOODS said:

What would you recommend for a  newbie staring on a electric 4 string bass? 

Private tuition?

Self teaching via books ( titles please ) ?

TubeYou for tuition? 

None of the above … 

Thanks 

All of the above can be useful, but don’t get too hung up on YouTube videos about proper playing technique. You play whatever way works best for you. Many BCers here started off before the internet existed and all we had were a few thin books, probably now out of print, and our eyes and ears. You therefore have it relatively easy, but use it wisely. If you want a teacher, get a proper bass teacher, not a guitarist. Learn how to set up your own instrument, and this is where the internet can be useful, but also confusing. Again, eyes and ears. Good luck, stick around, most don’t bite. 

• Like 2

Depends what you want to get out of it and where you are.

Do you want to just be able to play a few tunes every now and then? YouTube and ultimate guitar will probably suffice.

Do you want to become proficient enough on the instrument to make up basslines and learn songs my ear or notation? If you live near a good tutor this is expensive but can be tailored to you. If not, Scott’s bass lessons appears to be the best source of info available.

19 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

First step would be to get whatever bass you have set up correctly - nice low action (so the strings are not really high off the fingerboard), nut slots are cut correctly for the same reason and to ensure that the intonation is good (so what you play sounds good and in tune).

Making sure all this is done first will ensure that your learning experience will be a pleasant and fun one seeing that you won't have to fight the instrument needlessly. 

I wish I knew this when I started learning! I would have progressed a lot quicker if I had known.

I get that but, mine has come from a guy who plays in a band, though he only used mine at home as he said it would get ruined.. It’s got flat strings on it.. So do i take it to a music shop repairer to check the action etc? I can play some of the riffs i already like.. For instance Taka from FEEDER playing the opening to “ Just the way i’m Feeling “ but, adj the pick-up or tone doesn’t get me anywhere near the sound of Takas, mine has a more edgy abruptness to it while Takas sounds seems to elevate with sustain in a smooth way.. Frustrating somewhat .. 

IMG_9926.thumb.jpeg.6eb73e3b008dc0f8b8e58d80db4cc605.jpeg

IMG_9930.thumb.jpeg.2229c44db40bcdd6bd60cd27e4ce4e2b.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

As above.

If I was starting out now, I'd need to have some motivation. That'll be different for everyone. In my case, it would be to be able to play a few songs with other musicians but it could equally be to be able to record a bass cover video of your favourite song or just to be able to play along to your favourite album. Set little goals so you know when you've achieved something.

Scales, theory, reading - all important and will bring you immense benefits, but don't let then get in the way of enjoying the playing. If learning the bass becomes a chore in the early stages, it might be enough to put you off.

I started off playing guitar and after I'd got some of the basics, the biggest improvement came through playing with other musicians. It allowed me to listen, question, learn, make mistakes, correct them, build confidence and contribute to a great vibe - which itself became a reason to learn and play more.

There is a wealth of resource on this site. Not just the Theory and Technique section but many of the discussion threads as well - I've picked up loads of little hints and tricks by reading posts that aren't necessarily about technique.

Above all - have fun. At last night's rehearsal we had to take a 5 minute break as everyone was laughing. I can't even remember what it was about. 😃

Your bang in there mate for me anyway.. I play acoustic to a level i’m mostly happy with and tbh the only reason i wanted a bass was just for my own happiness be able to play a few riffs etc of some of my fave tunes.. But i admit i’m finding it difficult what with trying to mute strings at the same time as playing another one etc 

9 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

All of the above can be useful, but don’t get too hung up on YouTube videos about proper playing technique. You play whatever way works best for you. Many BCers here started off before the internet existed and all we had were a few thin books, probably now out of print, and our eyes and ears. You therefore have it relatively easy, but use it wisely. If you want a teacher, get a proper bass teacher, not a guitarist. Learn how to set up your own instrument, and this is where the internet can be useful, but also confusing. Again, eyes and ears. Good luck, stick around, most don’t bite. 

Great advice.. Thank you.. 

10 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Depends what you want to get out of it and where you are.

Do you want to just be able to play a few tunes every now and then? YouTube and ultimate guitar will probably suffice.

Do you want to become proficient enough on the instrument to make up basslines and learn songs my ear or notation? If you live near a good tutor this is expensive but can be tailored to you. If not, Scott’s bass lessons appears to be the best source of info available.

Just to be able to play a few riffs really mte, focussing my mind on learning keeps the bad thoughts away i find.. BUT.. it’s important for me to get the sound right and presently i’m getting no where near that despite having the tabs in front of me.. 

43 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

My action currently .. 

IMG_9936.thumb.jpeg.28e07076423535a7fc2dfcb0855dbbc4.jpeg

IMG_9935.thumb.jpeg.9f796d9c699dbb2cd56c963e0551c14b.jpeg

The opening riff of Jeremy by Pearl jam or Metallica and Nothing else matters, they are the sounds i like and would like to be able to replicate one day, but as i say i can play the tabs but the sound is nothing like it sadly.. 

Keep it interesting, always have a song you’ll learning and do the theory as you go in small chunks. For me the top tip would be to not get into bad physical habits when starting out. Get someone to show you or you’ll end up making life difficult for yourself later. For instance, the best way to position the left hand (don’t wrap your thumb around the neck. Might work for some people but not ideal). Don’t have a bent wrist on the right hand by resting your forearm on the body as this will cause carpal tunnel pain later. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 2

Dan Hawkins has some great stuff on YouTube. I think his approach to theory is very clear cut and some great vids on putting it all together into bass lines and supporting songs. 
Even if you’re not into jazz, get into walking bass lines. Will teach you timing but more importantly chord structures, and this knowledge is relevant for any genre of playing. 
Ed Friedland ; Building walking bass lines. 

Edited by Boodang

PS I have a small area setup for practice which I think is important so you don’t have to faff about to get going. Also, I use a small behringer mixer (little 4 channel thing that was about £30), so I can plug in the bass and my laptop, play along to lessons, Spotify etc on headphones. Only use an amp when rehearsing or gigging. 

1 hour ago, NOODS said:

But i admit i’m finding it difficult what with trying to mute strings at the same time as playing another one etc 

I struggled with that (and still do now and again). There were so many bits of advice - in the end I just found ways of doing it that suited the way I was playing the rest of the song. So sometimes I will use my left hand fingers that aren't fretting, sometimes the palm of my hand either on all four strings or just dabbing down momentarily, sometimes a finger or thumb from the right hand. It's not an elegant technique but it works for me.

1 hour ago, NOODS said:

I get that but, mine has come from a guy who plays in a band, though he only used mine at home as he said it would get ruined.. It’s got flat strings on it.. So do i take it to a music shop repairer to check the action etc? I can play some of the riffs i already like.. For instance Taka from FEEDER playing the opening to “ Just the way i’m Feeling “ but, adj the pick-up or tone doesn’t get me anywhere near the sound of Takas, mine has a more edgy abruptness to it while Takas sounds seems to elevate with sustain in a smooth way.. Frustrating somewhat .. 

IMG_9926.thumb.jpeg.6eb73e3b008dc0f8b8e58d80db4cc605.jpeg

IMG_9930.thumb.jpeg.2229c44db40bcdd6bd60cd27e4ce4e2b.jpeg

The Jack Casady bass is awesome but maybe not suitable for the sound you want, although change the strings to round wounds will help a bit. Some standard rotosounds would do nicely. 

4 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I struggled with that (and still do now and again). There were so many bits of advice - in the end I just found ways of doing it that suited the way I was playing the rest of the song. So sometimes I will use my left hand fingers that aren't fretting, sometimes the palm of my hand either on all four strings or just dabbing down momentarily, sometimes a finger or thumb from the right hand. It's not an elegant technique but it works for me.

This is a good example of learning good technique from the start. It’s probably the one thing you need a teacher for rather than YouTube or a book. Basically higher strings not being played are muted by the left hand, bottom strings not being played are muted by the right hand thumb as you move it onto the E string, then the A so both are muted. Rest strokes on from the G land on the D which can mute, or you can place the thumb on the D and still mute the A and E. 

This is all assuming finger playing as opposed to pick. By resting your thumb on the pickup and never moving it, will make lower string muted hard for yourself. 

• Like 1

Get a U2 or AC/DC album, copy the basslines and within a week you'll be ready to join a band. Or go to https://www.talkingbass.net/ and find loads of free stuff as well as subscription material. Mark here is by several country miles the best online bass tutor out there. No question about it!

Edited by Barking Spiders

First get your bass set up properly with a new set of strings. 

Next, learn your major and minor scales and spend some time finding whatever riffs you can in there - after all 99.999 of all riffs are based on these two scales. 

Using an open E and the G and A on the same string yields loads of riffs from Another one bites the dust, Jean Genie, 5 to 1, among others.

18 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Get a U2 or AC/DC album, copy the basslines and within a week you'll be ready to join a band. Or go to https://www.talkingbass.net/ and find loads of free stuff as well as subscription material. Mark here is by several country miles the best online bass tutor out there. No question about it!

I was a mega fan of U2 up until Rattle and Hum then no… Joshua tree Achtung Baby The Unforgettable fire… Awesome.. 

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Jeremy uses a 12-string bass so you'll find it difficult to get that sound.

Type of string makes a considerable difference to sound. Flatwounds will have a bit less treble than roundwounds.

IMG_9937.thumb.png.e74ef49424d17e6518a6cabfa8943969.png

I’m not doubting you trust me, but i just adore the bass in this live version.. 

Find yourself a drummer or guitard who is  one notch better than you are. You can motivate each other and learn to play along with other humans (that’s except guitards of course, who have a straight ascent from amoebas) 

the best musical experience I’ve ever had was playing Stsnd By me with my teacher on guitar. At the end he said “you’re a lot better at this than you think”

• Like 2