Why become a member? ×

Where was this when I was learning to play bass?

Happy Jack

All the records that I say I wish I still had, because of the high "vintage re-sale value", have no grooves left due to learning the parts by lifting the needle over and over again. This, thankfully, never took my pesos away. So this is "Rubber Soul", who everyone seems to taught as the big breakthru album by the beetels. ?. Paul needs a real bass anyone wanting one of these Hofner things is obviosly not about tone.

I listened to the whole thing so don't give me any stink. They couldn't find a Fender Bass in England? 

Where was this when I was learning to play bass?

Why? Would you have wanted to use it to learn the bass lines?

When I bought my first bass at the beginning of 1981 I wasn't even remotely interested in the Beatles. Also if I sounded like that I would probably want to get some different gear. In My Life has an interesting effect on it, but otherwise I think the overall tone on its own is pretty horrible.

14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Paul needs a real bass anyone wanting one of these Hofner things is obviosly not about tone.

They couldn't find a Fender Bass in England? 

53 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

When I bought my first bass at the beginning of 1981 I wasn't even remotely interested in the Beatles. 

Feeling the love here, guys. 😂

Disparaging The Beatles has been a thing for as long as I can remember. Some think it makes them sound cool, some think it makes them sound clever, occasionally it really is just a matter of taste.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. 💋

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Feeling the love here, guys. 😂

Disparaging The Beatles has been a thing for as long as I can remember. Some think it makes them sound cool, some think it makes them sound clever, occasionally it really is just a matter of taste.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. 💋

All you need is love, really...

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Yep real musicians playing real music together in a studio. Those little fluffs and whatnot are there for ever and I for one would never ever want them messed with or altered.

As opposed to unreal musicians playing unreal music in an unreal studio...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As opposed to unreal musicians playing unreal music in an unreal studio?

Precisely, You've hit the nail on the head, as always.

Musicians creating 'perfect' music in a 'perfect environment' using a virtual digital studio, knowing that the sound will never be re-created live, is absolutely fine for many people; in fact, it was The Beatles more than any other band that started us down that road.

But some of us prefer to hear (and to play) 'real' music where we play it in real time alongside other musicians who feel the same way.

You should try it ... you might like it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Musicians creating 'perfect' music in a 'perfect environment' using a virtual digital studio, knowing that the sound will never be re-created live, is absolutely fine for many people; in fact, it was The Beatles more than any other band that started us down that road.

But some of us prefer to hear (and to play) 'real' music where we play it in real time alongside other musicians who feel the same way.

As apposed to me?

How did you come to this conclusion, from me simply noting that intonation is off?

Which it is.

You should try adjusting intonation on your bass, you might like it...

It's usually done by those wee screws at the back of the bridge attached to the saddles, by moving them back and forth, depending.

You can find detailed instructions online.

On 14/10/2023 at 17:36, Baloney Balderdash said:

That intonation... O.o

Intonation wasn't invented until the early 70s, by Xerox, I believe.

Hang on, that's the laser printer isn't ? Damn. Sorry folks, this happens all the time.

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As apposed to me?

How did you come to this conclusion, from me simply noting that intonation is off?

Which it is.

It's usually done by those wee screws at the back of the bridge attached to the saddles, by moving them back and forth depending.

???

No idea what you're talking about.

As usual. What a load of bollocks.

And ... blocked. Bye Bye.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

???

No idea what you're talking about.

As usual. What a load of bollocks.

And ... blocked. Bye Bye.

What the...

You accuse me for not being a real musician in a patronizing tone, and make all kinds of untrue assumptions about me, and then block me when I let you taste your own medicine.

14 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

12 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As apposed to me?

Which it is.

It's usually done by those wee screws at the back of the bridge attached to the saddles, by moving them back and forth, depending.

You can find detailed instructions online.