Why become a member? ×

Anyone else just ready to give up?

AndyTravis

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sometimes life and family have to come first. Good choice as you don't get those fun yrs back with your kids. Make the best of it now. Once they become teenagers they'll only need you to drive them to gigs with their own bands :laugh1:

Dave

My old man joined his first band in his sixties, at which point I had been gigging for 15+ years, so I took great pleasure in volunteering my advice for youngsters starting garage bands. They called themselves The Gastrick Band and set membership qualifications at "owns an instrument and eligible for a bus pass". 

When he started gigging I turned up pissed and heckled a couple times just to even the score. 😅

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Almost 64 i have to say this is the busiest i've ever been in any band. Not gigging every week but its getting close to it.

Dave

This gives me hope, maybe when I grow up I'll get regular gigs too! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TRBboy said:

This gives me hope, maybe when I grow up I'll get regular gigs too! 😅

I was just making the point that age is never a reason to stop playing.

Family, work or health are usually the main reasons. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

I haven't gigged since about 1992, I got back to bass playing in 2010 and thanks to BC I've learnt how to produce music etc. I am reluctant to get gigging for two reasons. Too many day dreamers on Join my band and other sites. Two, I can't think of anything worse than being sober and playing to drunk punters late night. But , if circumstances change, I may be easily persuaded. 

• Like 1

For many years I found this song stupid - but now I think that it actually carries a message.

We have to keep ourselves going. If not by playing bass then try another instrument, if not by playing, try consuming. Taking up a social dance (salsa/disco/tango/...) is also a great way to approach music - and may even give you something you find beneficial when you get back into playing the bass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was just making the point that age is never a reason to stop playing.

Family, work or health are usually the main reasons. 

Dave

Sorry Dave, I was being silly. I absolutely get that, and the priorities there are definitely true. I, like many people here I guess, am fortunate to have a regular day job and play music for enjoyment. I guess those priorities are more challenging if you play for a living and it's your only source of income.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Sorry Dave, I was being silly. I absolutely get that, and the priorities there are definitely true. I, like many people here I guess, am fortunate to have a regular day job and play music for enjoyment. I guess those priorities are more challenging if you play for a living and it's your only source of income.

Playing has always been just a hobby for me. I had opportunities to go professional in my 20's but having a well paid job that i enjoyed and it just wasn't worth the risk for me to walk away from the job.

I've never wanted playing to be any more than a hobby and if it ever does i will probably give it up too.

As long as i'm enjoying it i'll try to keep going. 

I've been retired for 8 yrs now from age 56 so i do have a lot more time on my hands than you younger guys and that makes learning sets a lot easier for me.

I do appreciate that for some guys on here its their main source of income and that would definitely change things.

Don't get me wrong i do enjoy making decent money with the band. These days i'm not losing money at gigs. That's a big change for me from my younger days when hiring vans and PA's used to use up all of the gig money :laugh1:

With lightweight gear and a decent sized car i can easily carry my bass gear and our larger PA cabs (not incl the subs tho - they need a van hire) 

Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SH73 said:

I can't think of anything worse than being sober and playing to drunk punters late night. 

This is the one thing that bugs the heck out of me these days as i'm always driving and don't really drink these days.

I never really noticed this as an issue in my younger days for some odd reason. Maybe i was just more tolerant when i was 20.

Dave

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SH73 said:

I haven't gigged since about 1992, I got back to bass playing in 2010 and thanks to BC I've learnt how to produce music etc. I am reluctant to get gigging for two reasons. Too many day dreamers on Join my band and other sites. Two, I can't think of anything worse than being sober and playing to drunk punters late night. But , if circumstances change, I may be easily persuaded. 

I've been sober for decades. Depending on the venues available in your area you don't have to play late night gigs to drunk punters. Upscale Winery's,  Brewerys and Farmers Market gigs can be really nice. Well behaved crowds and your home before 7:00.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've been sober for decades. Depending on the venues available in your area you don't have to play late night gigs to drunk punters. Upscale Winery's,  Brewerys and Farmers Market gigs can be really nice. Well behaved crowds and your home before 7:00.

Daryl

The type of music I like mate, and the time they start is mostly at 9pm. There are occasions bands play afternoon gigs at festivals etc and being home at 7pm would be ideal. Probably more opportunities over the pond.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SH73 said:

The type of music I like mate, and the time they start is mostly at 9pm. There are occasions bands play afternoon gigs at festivals etc and being home at 7pm would be ideal. Probably more opportunities over the pond.

They are a few venues in my area who have started putting on gigs on Sunday afternoons, say 4pm

to around 7 or 8pm. I’ve done a few and it seems to work well, often in pubs where they serve Sunday

lunch and then put music on to keep people in afterwards. Home by 9pm does make a change! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SH73 said:

As for @casapete, I’ve seen the Sunday afternoon gig grow scene grow in the last 5 years. There are four pub venues doing it around my small town. None of them ‘food’ pubs, either.

The Flowerpot, generally Americana, blues or folk.

The Smithfield, exclusively heavy rock or metal, (no housing nearby 😆).

The Crossroads Tavern, generally covers bands.

The King William, usually acoustic acts.

Having played Sunday afternoons at two of them my experience is that pay rates are lower than an evening slot. However, there’s a balance of getting home early, usually easier drive-in and parking and more sober audiences.

Edited by Len_derby
Remembered a fourth!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

We've done a few Sun afternoon gigs finished by 5pm and home by 7 ish. The perfect gigs :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casapete said:

They are a few venues in my area who have started putting on gigs on Sunday afternoons, say 4pm

to around 7 or 8pm. I’ve done a few and it seems to work well, often in pubs where they serve Sunday

lunch and then put music on to keep people in afterwards. Home by 9pm does make a change! 

Not sure people going Sunday lunch would like listening to Metal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Not sure people going Sunday lunch would like listening to Metal

Oh, I don't know..... maybe some nice Slayer 'Reign In Blood' might compliment a 'carvery' ;)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, casapete said:

These are getting popular - always amazes me how many people will turn out on a Sunday, but freaks me out returning from a gig - on the road by 9pm, as my SO said on sunday "this is usually when we are going out!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Oh, I don't know..... maybe some nice Slayer 'Reign In Blood' might compliment a 'carvery' ;)

2 hours ago, cetera said:

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Metalheads need Sunday lunch too! Gap in the market here I reckon.

You boys are putting ideas in my head.

Setlist

Bring your daughter to the slaughter

Reign in Blood

Hair of the dog

Eat the Rich

Rock Candy

The crab song 

Hungry Freaks, Daddy

Cherry Pie

Inhumane Harvest

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, SH73 said:

You boys are putting ideas in my head.

Setlist

Bring your daughter to the slaughter

Reign in Blood

Hair of the dog

Eat the Rich

Rock Candy

The crab song 

Hungry Freaks, Daddy

Cherry Pie

Inhumane Harvest

You're half way there .......... now go out and get a Sunday booking. Job done. :laugh1:

When i was younger we had Sunday afternoon rock bands in some venues. Had to be hotels as pubs back then could only open 12-2 and 5-11 ish. Hotels open all day.

Happy days

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Hi Pete,

The 3-7 action in my area is great. However it's something to get use to. It's not like a Yankee 8-12 bar gig. It's a different vibe. I personally think it's great for us in our 60s and 70s that have outgrown late night pub and bar gigs.

It's seems like out of nowhere all these Winery's and Brewery's opened and started booking bands. Unfortunately many bands will be left out of these gigs. They only book acoustic and small blues, folk and Americana .

Daryl

• Like 2