Why become a member? ×

Cult of Zoom MS-50G/MS-60B/MS-70CDR/G1(X)on/B1(X)on

Baloney Balderdash

So this is the thread to share you pictures, thoughts and patches for the precious generation of Zoom digital multi effect, which includes the still in production Multi Stomp pedals, that is the MS-50G/MS-60B/MS-70CDR/G1on/B1on/G1Xon/B1Xon as well as G3 and B3.

I made this thread because I love these cheap multi effects, and think they are superior to the current production G1 Four and B1 Four and the digital effect models these comes with, I do actually own both of these newer generation Zoom multi effects, but to me they sound as they look, plastic like/artificial and somewhat boxy, and the possibility for tweaking the effects are limiting in comparison with the previous generation of Zoom multi effects.

For one the effects are way more flexible and tweakable, and the G1Xon and B1Xon allows for assigning every one parameter of any one effect of each path to be controlled at whatever range and direction one should wish with the great build in expression pedal, or it can be set to control either pre effect input level, or post effect output level, as well (and again range and direction can be set to whatever one should wish), and that without taking up an extra effect slot, whereas the expression pedal of the G1X Four and B1X Four is limited to only work for a handful of dedicated expression pedal controlled effects.

Further more with these precious generation of Zoom multi effects you can, via a 3rd party unofficial effect manager/firmware hack called "Zoom Effect Manager", load any effect you should wish from any of these pedals to any other of these pedals, opening up for a huge library of effects at your disposal (something Zoom in my opinion ought to have offered themself long ago. This app doesn't work for the G3 and B3 though).

Admittedly the octaver/pitch shifter, drive and amp/cab models on these units leaves something to wish for, and are in my opinion pretty awful, but just about any other effects on them are good, some even great or amazing.

I personally own no less than 4 of these effects (beside the current generation G1 Four and B1 Four, which I am pretty sure I will never use again), all loaded with the same effects, thanks to the mentioned 3rd party firmware hack program, an MS-70CDR, a B1Xon, a G1Xon and a G1on, and currently actively using the B1Xon in my current main setup, mainly as my reverb effect unit, with a variety of different reverb patches, including in a huge lush reverb that is used as a swell in pad effect, using the build in expression pedal to control the input volume), though the patches I have set up also includes a trippy reverse delay patch, and a LPF envelope filter based "wah" pedal patch, controlled with the build in expression pedal, among the patches I use.

The B1Xon is even one of my absolute favorite effects, out of all the effects I own, probably only beaten by my EHX Black Finger.

I'll start out with sharing the subtle reverb patch that is part of my basic always on "clean" tone, a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb, which I actually think sounds pretty amazing (surely much much better than anything I could get out of the G1 Four or B1 Four I own, and believe me I tried, and even gave them several chances), I'd say as good as any good reverb, and absolutely perfect for my use :

- Effect 1: "Plate" : / PreD: 10 / Decay: 33 / Mix: 25 / Color: 45 / LoDMP: 80 / HiDMP: 85 / Trail: On / Level: 100 /

->

- Effect 2: "Spring63" : / DWELL: 25 / MIXER: 15 / TONE: 50 / LEVEL: 100 /

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No doubt will attract sneering derision, but who cares... this, bought from one of the guys on here for pennies is a great little pedal & has some excellent sounds..

.. my favourite is one of the factory presets F2

IMG_20230924_130608.jpg

Sorry, but to be perfectly honest with you I am not a big fan of that generation of Zoom effects either.

Been a long time since I owned one, but as far as I recall it sounded horrible, even worse than the current G1 Four and B1 Four, but some of the same kind of that plastic like artificial boxy vibe to it's tone as those, and got the same issue with limiting tweakability. 

Maybe I really ought to have just made this a general Zoom effect thread, and live and let live, but there is a reason I picked the specific multi effect models listed as I did.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Certainly very cheap and plastic-y looking, but I'll give anything a go if it can make some useful, interesting or cool (to me) sounds 😁

I also tend to stack effects pedals a fair bit. 

Hopefully you'll get some input re. your particular thing anyway. 

Out of curiosity though, what is that F2 factory preset favorite of yours?

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Out of curiosity though, what is that F2 factory preset favorite of yours?

The manual quaintly calls it  "detune pitch shift for solo play" 😁 

Can't say that'd be my description tho.. I'd say it was quite a powerful crunchy metallic (not "metal" btw) trebly tone with some chorus/mod going on, difficult to describe, I just thought "that's a good 'un" when I was going thru all the factory sounds initially. 

There's a fair bit of simple tweak-ability on the pedal, despite it's plastic cheapo ethos I like it. 

• Like 1

I've owned both a ZOOM BFX-708 and a 708II back when they were released. The 708II was a great piece of gear. Sounded great given enough tweaking and it had outrageous features, such as the non volatile samples (in a SmartMedia card, brilliant for its time). I had been using the 708II for bar gigs (+ a combo) for years, until I got an MS-60B as a gift from my wife in 2015. From then on I only gigged live with that Zoom and whichever amp (provided or mine) or even (lately) no amp at all. As time passed I also got a B3, a G3, a G1Xon, then an MS-50G (and also a B1Xfour, which I don't use much, prefer how the G3/B3/MS/on stuff sounds). All of them (except the B3/G3) are hacked inside and out. My MS-60B indeed has been recently converted to an MS-50G (6 FX slots and all, yes, Zoom Effect Manager version 2 on can do that). I have set up a ONE STOP SITE for everything Zoom effect hacking, both for the MS/on generation and for the more recent n/four models. As an example, my G1Xon (least memory available for effects) has 163 effects in it. My MS-50G holds 177 as of today. Usually it's everything relevant for bass & guitar (amps, drive, EQ, dynamics) and some selection within the the MOD/SFX/DLY/REV types. Check that out as you might find your Zoom is capable of way more than you believe. Also have recently added some patch export/import/copy/move/swap Python scripts to at least be able to backup/restore stuff on devices with custom firmware (no available editor/librarian will do that, at least this way I can backup/restore/reorganize my custom firmware patches).

(photo of my usual live setup, wireless->Zoom->DI)live_setup.thumb.jpg.fd25ef755eef028840ed14686090152d.jpg

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

I've got an MS-50G, two MS-60Bs, and an MS-70CDR. Would have had the MS-100BT (I think it was) if Zoom had had the sense to create an Android app for it, instead of restricting it to iOS. I'm looking at making a mini pedalboard with a Line 6 G50, TC Spectracomp, Vong-Filterung HPF/LPF, MS-60B, and MS-70CDR, plus an up/down patch switch for the MS-60B.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

They seem to be taking their time releasing the MS-60B+ (and the MS-70CDR+). Interesting to see the new extensions to the range, the MS-200D+ (guitar drives and distortions) and MS-80IR+ (presumably IRs, not released yet).

Looking at the MS-50G+, they've gone from 30 presets and 50 user patches on the MS-50G to 85 presets and 15 user patches (admittedly, if the same was true of the MS-60B+ then that would still be at least 10 more than I need). USB-C port now, and still no port of software to Android. You'd think that Zoom might notice that 75% of the smartphone market is Android. There are also fewer effects on the G+ (100, the G shipped with 100 but another 72 can be downloaded). Effects chain length remains 6, still 24-bit with 128x oversampling on A/D and D/A conversions, still 32-bit processing, so is this a hardware change rather than anything significant in the guts of the machine?

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 13:29, tauzero said:

I've got an MS-50G, two MS-60Bs, and an MS-70CDR. Would have had the MS-100BT (I think it was) if Zoom had had the sense to create an Android app for it, instead of restricting it to iOS. I'm looking at making a mini pedalboard with a Line 6 G50, TC Spectracomp, Vong-Filterung HPF/LPF, MS-60B, and MS-70CDR, plus an up/down patch switch for the MS-60B.

did you end up building this? Why not use the HPF in the zoom? (I ask as someone looking at a MS70cdr and with a Vong sitting unloved on a shelf! )

Edited by LukeFRC

13 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

did you end up building this? Why not use the HPF in the zoom? (I ask as someone looking at a MS70cdr and with a Vong sitting unloved on a shelf! )

It is built, except that my Vong is also sitting unloved (and, indeed, unworking) on a shelf. I also ran into some puzzling issues with the up/down switch which is now sitting waiting for me to remember about it (I suspect I have ADHD but at 66 it's probably a bit late to start pursuing enquiries along those lines). I put a Subsonic filter in (https://guitar-electronics.eu/en_US/c/SUBSONIC-FILTER/84) - after all, I may want to use a 4-effect chain.

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

It is built, except that my Vong is also sitting unloved (and, indeed, unworking) on a shelf. I also ran into some puzzling issues with the up/down switch which is now sitting waiting for me to remember about it (I suspect I have ADHD but at 66 it's probably a bit late to start pursuing enquiries along those lines). I put a Subsonic filter in (https://guitar-electronics.eu/en_US/c/SUBSONIC-FILTER/84) - after all, I may want to use a 4-effect chain.

haha - I'ld not seen them - I can tell what it's based on from the typography

I'm a big fan of the zoom stuff. Always liked their bass multiFX.  my first ever pedal was a zoom, as per the photo below. Pretty much the only bit of kit I've never sold. Definitely shows its age so it's retired.

Owned multiple Zoom pedals but still own and use occasionally an ms60b! I've  done that thing where it now has all the MS range effects on it, not just the bass ones, so it's now a make shift bass and guitar rig! I did a direct to PA gig last month using the ms60b and it sounded brilliant. Zero issues using this in the future.

20240204_163401.jpg

• Like 2

On 24/09/2023 at 13:10, Waddo Soqable said:

No doubt will attract sneering derision, but who cares... this, bought from one of the guys on here for pennies is a great little pedal & has some excellent sounds..

.. my favourite is one of the factory presets F2

IMG_20230924_130608.jpg

I’ve got one of those and use it as a headphone amp - it’s got some great drive sounds on it to, and the expression pedal can be pressed in to service as an awesome pitch shifter for moments of madness!

I’ve had a couple of ms60b pedals that were really good, but my first zoom was a 3000B with the expression pedal as an extra. I seem to recall is was ok, but not amazing. Zoom units have DEFINITELY got better in ver the years.

35 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I’ve had a couple of ms60b pedals that were really good, but my first zoom was a 3000B with the expression pedal as an extra. I seem to recall is was ok, but not amazing. Zoom units have DEFINITELY got better in ver the years.

Well the B3, B1on and B1Xon, and the Multi Stomps that utilizes the same generation of Zoom effect models, as far as I am concerned are superior in just about every way to the newer generation B3n, B1 Four and B1X Four.

I do agree though that in the 90's the Zoom multi effects were garbage, far behind similar Boss and Line 6 offerings.

Zoom B1on and B1xon ya say? Might of over-done it!

Maybe work out a Split from the B1xon Out to the 2 B1on units In for Parallel...

20240204_181523.thumb.jpg.699c0ffed35e55d407eca4cdd1a6dd29.jpg

But, still not got to the bottom of this...

On/Off Switch - Button functions on a finger press, but the foam doesn't seem to want to compress with a push with the pedal - Note: I am Mechanically Sympathetic so ain't gonna be stamping on it..

Switch turns On/Off the Effect to which the Expression Pedal has been assigned to one of it's paramaters...

Rather than turn On/Off the Expression Pedal's Variability, say back to a default setting... Shame.

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 01:23, tauzero said:

Just starting to use a similar setup - Vong into EQ, into MS60B, into MXR M80 and a looper! Great minds.

On 24/09/2023 at 12:58, Baloney Balderdash said:

So this is the thread to share you pictures, thoughts and patches for the precious generation of Zoom digital multi effect, which includes the still in production Multi Stomp pedals, that is the MS-50G/MS-60B/MS-70CDR/G1on/B1on/G1Xon/B1Xon as well as G3 and B3.

I made this thread because I love these cheap multi effects, and think they are superior to the current production G1 Four and B1 Four and the digital effect models these comes with, I do actually own both of these newer generation Zoom multi effects, but to me they sound as they look, plastic like/artificial and somewhat boxy, and the possibility for tweaking the effects are limiting in comparison with the previous generation of Zoom multi effects.

For one the effects are way more flexible and tweakable, and the G1Xon and B1Xon allows for assigning every one parameter of any one effect of each path to be controlled at whatever range and direction one should wish with the great build in expression pedal, or it can be set to control either pre effect input level, or post effect output level, as well (and again range and direction can be set to whatever one should wish), and that without taking up an extra effect slot, whereas the expression pedal of the G1X Four and B1X Four is limited to only work for a handful of dedicated expression pedal controlled effects.

Further more with these precious generation of Zoom multi effects you can, via a 3rd party unofficial effect manager/firmware hack called "Zoom Effect Manager", load any effect you should wish from any of these pedals to any other of these pedals, opening up for a huge library of effects at your disposal (something Zoom in my opinion ought to have offered themself long ago. This app doesn't work for the G3 and B3 though).

Admittedly the octaver/pitch shifter, drive and amp/cab models on these units leaves something to wish for, and are in my opinion pretty awful, but just about any other effects on them are good, some even great or amazing.

I personally own no less than 4 of these effects (beside the current generation G1 Four and B1 Four, which I am pretty sure I will never use again), all loaded with the same effects, thanks to the mentioned 3rd party firmware hack program, an MS-70CDR, a B1Xon, a G1Xon and a G1on, and currently actively using the B1Xon in my current main setup, mainly as my reverb effect unit, with a variety of different reverb patches, including in a huge lush reverb that is used as a swell in pad effect, using the build in expression pedal to control the input volume), though the patches I have set up also includes a trippy reverse delay patch, and a LPF envelope filter based "wah" pedal patch, controlled with the build in expression pedal, among the patches I use.

The B1Xon is even one of my absolute favorite effects, out of all the effects I own, probably only beaten by my EHX Black Finger.

I'll start out with sharing the subtle reverb patch that is part of my basic always on "clean" tone, a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb, which I actually think sounds pretty amazing (surely much much better than anything I could get out of the G1 Four or B1 Four I own, and believe me I tried, and even gave them several chances), I'd say as good as any good reverb, and absolutely perfect for my use :

- Effect 1: "Plate" : / PreD: 10 / Decay: 33 / Mix: 25 / Color: 45 / LoDMP: 80 / HiDMP: 85 / Trail: On / Level: 100 /

->

- Effect 2: "Spring63" : / DWELL: 25 / MIXER: 15 / TONE: 50 / LEVEL: 100 /

I punched your subtle reverb patch into my MS-60B and it sounds really good. Actually used it on Friday night and it sounded great. If you have any other patches then please share.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

If you have any other patches then please share.

Lots of guitar based patches on r/zoommultistomp but would love to have some more bass bassed inspiration. (I got my ms70cdr last week after someone on the forum answered my wanted ad) 

On 04/02/2024 at 20:11, PaulThePlug said:

Zoom B1on and B1xon ya say? Might of over-done it!

Maybe work out a Split from the B1xon Out to the 2 B1on units In for Parallel...

20240204_181523.thumb.jpg.699c0ffed35e55d407eca4cdd1a6dd29.jpg

But, still not got to the bottom of this...

On/Off Switch - Button functions on a finger press, but the foam doesn't seem to want to compress with a push with the pedal - Note: I am Mechanically Sympathetic so ain't gonna be stamping on it..

Switch turns On/Off the Effect to which the Expression Pedal has been assigned to one of it's paramaters...

Rather than turn On/Off the Expression Pedal's Variability, say back to a default setting... Shame.

You should run the 2 B1on pedals through a Boss LS-2 or similar so you'll achieve parallel effect signal patch blending capabilities, or a global clean blend when one of the units is bypassed.

14 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I punched your subtle reverb patch into my MS-60B and it sounds really good. Actually used it on Friday night and it sounded great. If you have any other patches then please share.

It really does add an extra dimension to your tone, doesn't it?

But without muddying things up.

And yes, to me it sounds as great as any reverb effect, not 2nd grade quality in any possible way.

I do have some additional more lush reverb patches, an extremely lush reverb patch that is used for a pad effect with volume swell ins, using the build in expression pedal on my B1Xon assigned to the patch input volume (though I suppose you could use the Slow effect for a similar automatic volume swells effect), and I I got a great bass wah pedal patch as well, but again that is utilizing the build in expression pedal, though you might be able to use it by dialing in the Resonance parameter (which I have set to 0 in order make it exclusively expression pedal controlled like a regular Wah pedal) instead, to make it envelope controlled instead.

I'll have a look at the parameter settings later and post them.

• Like 1