Why become a member? ×

Chorus pedal for bass.

nilorius

I can happily recommend the TC Electronic Corona, which does do Toneprint so you can download presets straight to the pedal if you wanted a number of different chorus tones to use on the fly. There's some interesting ones done for the likes of Nathan East, Duff McKagan, Victor Wooten, Fieldy, to name but a few.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 10:51, Fionn said:

The MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe is an amazing pedal. So rich and musical, with a lot of control options. The thing I loved most about it was the ability to craft exactly where in the frequency range the effect sits, thus being very mix-adaptive (the crossover helps

too). So many chorus pedals cause a bass to be lost in the mix at subtle settings, but not this one.

I have regret about selling it. I’ll pick up another at some point.

Yep, it's mine now and it's a really good one. Had the Boss a while and was just sort of OK about it. Used to rate the Corona even though some talk it down. I'd say try the MXR before you commit on any other. It has the flange too but I just use chorus. Agree with @Fionn - it's very 'controllable', always really musical (some sound brittle and rather digital I have found).

• Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 17:26, tauzero said:

I've been trying to set up a decent chorus sound on the HX Stomp and having no luck at all, until I got rid of the speaker emulation and suddenly chorus and flanger worked properly.

I had a similar experience with a Zoom B3.

In the "Total" menu,  there's a master wet/dry mix for the entire patch and it's contents. 

That was set to 50/50, which meant I couldn't eliminate the dreaded chorus wobbles. Set it to 100% wet, and it's much better. Dialling out cab emulation generally improves everything.  Unless it's needed for recording or a signal to a desk, I turn it off.

• Like 1

I've got the Jam pedals Ripply Fall Bass, which is a Chorus/vibrato/phaser in one.  They also do the same without the phaser, called the 'waterfall Bass'.  Both are currently available at thomann.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jam_pedals_effects_for_bass.html

The Ripply Fall is the only Bass chorus pedal I've ever owned so I'm not sure how it shapes up against others.  I mainly use the chorus to thicken up my tone, when needed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I've got the Jam pedals Ripply Fall Bass, which is a Chorus/vibrato/phaser in one.  They also do the same without the phaser, called the 'waterfall Bass'.  Both are currently available at thomann.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jam_pedals_effects_for_bass.html

The Ripply Fall is the only Bass chorus pedal I've ever owned so I'm not sure how it shapes up against others.  I mainly use the chorus to thicken up my tone, when needed.

I have one of the Waterfall ones and they are really really good

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 10:23, uk_lefty said:

Personally my view is you need to try a load to see what you like. 

What I use now:

TC Corona using the Duff McKagan toneprint

Why I use the TC now... I like that I can dial in different toneprints if I need to, but to be honest the Duff toneprint suits what I want from my basses whether fretted or fretless. I don't use chorus a lot but when I do I want it to be heard, I don't want it too subtle, and I sometimes add delay or trem afterwards.

Before I got my Helix, I used a TC Corona Mini specifically for the Duff toneprint. He has exactly the sort of bass chorus I like, and this pedal nails it.

FWIW, I'm using the Ampeg Liquifier model on my Helix as my default chorus tone. Sounds great and the physical pedal it models is worth a look.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

T.C Electronic Dreamscape is a sleeper pedal. 

Originally for guitar' but it works brilliantly on Bass & giving you  all of the toneprints from the Corona Chorus along with Flanging & Vibrato'  Plus it's own  Toneprints.... 

It's  One Subtle Pedal... 

Edited by paulo m

Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble has stayed on my board for many years.  It sounds great with a drive pedal.

My favourite is the original Clone Theory but it's noisy and the foot switch cracks loudly when in use . So that's now tucked away. If any one can recommend a good replica/copy it would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

I've had a Boss CE-2B Bass chorus since they came out in the early 80s, it's always worked brilliantly for my sound and I've never really used anything else in my rig, I do like a bit of Dimension D on the fretless DI feed, but it b*gg*rs the low end up a bit on the main track.

I have mine on an FX loop off the Quad Cortex, switch it in to any patch I need.

The Roland Jazz Chorus model on the QC is very good too, especially on a 2 channel bass patch with all the drive and grit on the other channel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 29/09/2023 at 00:35, Bagman said:

Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus is good 

On 29/09/2023 at 10:04, LukeFRC said:

best not to go for "grass is greener" approach and switch it... 

I didn’t listen to myself!
Now got to try them out and then move the one I like least at somepoint. IMG_0418.thumb.jpeg.1b26a95cbdaf1d94b379cfc2031a74a3.jpeg

• Like 3

On 21/09/2023 at 16:56, TeresaFR said:

The people saying good things about the Helix 70s chorus - I believe that's the one a bassist friend of mine has used since she switched over to a full Helix set-up and having heard her playing through it, it does sound really good. It wasn't the only effect in the signal chain but it was very much present.

I was wrong, it's the Liquifier in the Helix she uses, and since that post I've also switched over to an HX unit and do like the Liquifier the most (my settings are somewhat different the aforementioned friend, though). I've been trying it out in front of a very mild delay (the Elephant Man).

11 minutes ago, spyder said:

Which one won. 

Anadime - it’s simpler, really musical and the HPF makes a big difference 

the bass boost is technically better and more flexible , and i should peobably do some basic recording comparison and if i did i think that it would probably sound better … and is flexible enough do a lot of chorus sounds really well (and vibrato and flange) - but i think i like the Anadime more - it’s very close though, they are both great and cover a lot of the same ground

• Like 1

I decided on an Eventide Tricerachorus for my new bass board which I’m currently building…..

I already had one i bought a few months back for my guitar board and tried it with a bass and loved it.

so I picked up another one from GuitarGuitar in the Black Friday sales for £120 new, along with Eventide UltraTap delay (for the same price) . loads of different tones can be obtained and having MIDI will be very handy for recalling presets.