Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

Bought this locally a few weeks ago. Cracking jazz bass! Again, absolute steal at that price.

A bit darker sounding than my American Std but a small adjustment on the amp, boosting the high mids (D800+) gets it into similar territory.

20230817_113957.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Schnozzalee said:

Or you could buy one of the older ones with an alder body.

Why get whipped up into a frenzy over indian laurel and nato? (Which is probably why they're getting blown out).

I think £250 for a 40th Anniversary Squire Precision or Jazz that sounds and plays amazing and has had positive reviews from owners and the press can't really be sniffed at. Not much out there that's better at this price £250.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Schnozzalee said:

Why get whipped up into a frenzy over indian laurel and nato? (Which is probably why they're getting blown out

In terms of aesthetics, which is all that maters to me because for my there's no noticeble difference between different fretboard woods, I prefer Indian Laurel over the pau ferro that Fender have been using for the dark boards on their Player range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Does wood choice make a difference? 🤔🍿#livegrenade

Of course it does. Everyone and their aunt knows a 2 piece bookmatched alder body with a straight and narrow grain pattern sounds better than some common 3 piece nato muck.

It’s all about the tone don’t you know!

On a serious note, that jazz looks immense and I’m seriously tempted. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Haha 2

It's called 'Vintage Edition' so they went and used a mahogany substitute, which BC Rich, Vintage and Yamaha used on budget guitars in the 80s/90s, and then stained a nasty looking timber for a fingerboard.

I've owned the '08 series and tried these in my local and the necks are less gloopy, but the old alder and rosewood sonic blue / fiesta red are the best of the bunch. I'd hold onto my money for a Sire or an old G&L Tribute.

Everyone buys a Squier and gives it a stunning review, then you find out about them warts and all several years later when they've been sold on.

*Pulls pants up* Now then, where to squat for my next...

Edited by Schnozzalee

19 hours ago, Schnozzalee said:

Or you could buy one of the older ones with an alder body.

Why get whipped up into a frenzy over indian laurel and nato? (Which is probably why they're getting blown out).

That's not why they're getting blown out.

Other than that, what's wrong with Indian Laurel?

Neck.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

Any of the uk stores price matching? This is either thomann getting over stocked and having to clear their warehouse or a general price reposition by fender that the other stores are likely to follow. 

Best to ask each as I suspect they will do it on a case by case basis.

When I purchased my Yamaha BB434, Thomman were about £100 cheaper than uk sellers. PMT online and Anderson’s declined to price match but GuitarGuitar were happy to and we got it sorted by email in a couple of hours from me asking to them sending me a custom link.

Peach guitar have just put their price up but they do show the weight of each bass and may price match If they decide they need to shift them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Of course it does. Everyone and their aunt knows a 2 piece bookmatched alder body with a straight and narrow grain pattern sounds better than some common 3 piece nato muck.

It’s all about the tone don’t you know!

On a serious note, that jazz looks immense and I’m seriously tempted. 

Oh no it doesn’t!    🍿

2 hours ago, Gramski said:

Best to ask each as I suspect they will do it on a case by case basis.

When I purchased my Yamaha BB434, Thomman were about £100 cheaper than uk sellers. PMT online and Anderson’s declined to price match but GuitarGuitar were happy to and we got it sorted by email in a couple of hours from me asking to them sending me a custom link.

Peach guitar have just put their price up but they do show the weight of each bass and may price match If they decide they need to shift them.

£259 is below trade price for a £399 retail instrument so thomann are either making a loss to clear the shelves or fender sold a container load on a special price to them. Point two would be unfair to the rest of their dealer network so it’s guessing it’s point 1. When they’re gone they’re gone!

23 hours ago, Cato said:

In terms of aesthetics, which is all that maters to me because for my there's no noticeble difference between different fretboard woods, I prefer Indian Laurel over the pau ferro that Fender have been using for the dark boards on their Player range.

Interesting and prob agree. Had a friend's brand new Squier Affinity round for a set-up a few weeks ago. I liked the look of the Indian Laurel board - it's fairly dark (dark enough for a new board) but has a hint of greyness to it so I think it will play in well and age quite nicely. I mean it will benefit from a good few hot sweaty gigs. Some of the last of the rosewood I've seen was rather pale, quite open grain and generally low grade.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 18:21, Linus27 said:

So I do suspect Fender over manufacturered and retailers have surplus stock. 

I read that Fender sales nosedived in the last 12 months as the "pandemic boom" in sales ran out of steam.  Some smazing deals on these and I'd get a 40th Jazz if I didn't already have two lovely jazz basses.

A quick btw re the Indian Laurel - found a fellow BCer using this on a fretless board ( a Dean restoration). I got some and tested it, promising. I'm not up for slapping it on my '98 P but I'm pretty sure it would do a lot to darken age a a new Indian Laurel board.
Monty's make some excellent gear - looms etc. And their artists list is quite something.

https://www.montysguitars.com/collections/department-of-component/products/montys-montypresso-relic-wax?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search&utm_content=montypresso&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwr_CnBhA0EiwAci5siivqE1NukcYXh635_8HkjQbRLFiVMI_j0-Kx3zOl8BszV0jcZti7lxoCI6oQAvD_BwE 

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 20.04.10.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schnozzalee said:

Or just avoid Fender / Squier's recent churn-outs and buy something with quality rosewood, like an alder Yamaha BB234.

Er why ? Then you can’t complain that it’s not as good as a 70s one/is better than vintera/as good as a MIM/punches above its weight etc (delete where applicable) … what would be the fun? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Schnozzalee said:

Or just avoid Fender / Squier's recent churn-outs and buy something with quality rosewood, like an alder Yamaha BB234.

We get it, you like rosewood.  Well these basses don't have it, so don't buy one, job done, you can leave now.

• Like 7