Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fortress One

Rayman

Finally, I get my hands on another awesome Warwick. A ‘94 Fortess One, to partner my Streamer. I love these things, I had one maybe 10 years s ago, and regretted selling instantly. So comfortable to play, love it.

I’ve already got my eye on a Corvette too…. 🤦🏻‍♂️

A80A8351-A723-4668-9363-B157895EF04D.thumb.jpeg.6e022018b96eb64eeef338450e57b4c5.jpegD53B9F08-7130-4944-BED2-7F98F5D2B7F6.thumb.jpeg.059390e552a8b97e4ed8fe9695217f19.jpeg

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Sweet. I'd love to have a go of the MM version of it, with a seperate EQ for each coil.

Yeah me too! My old one had a bizarre double J pickup configuration, both right next to each other in the bridge position. Sounded amazing though, and the action was crazy low with no buzz at all.

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I had one of the PJ ones many years ago.

It was very nice, but a bit heavy for me.

I do wish I had bought a Fortress Flashback when I played one in the late 1990s. It sounded amazing but I just couldn't raise the money.

The Flashbacks are lovely.

Very hard to find now. 

A Rockbass re-issue might be nice if they get  the look right. 

When last I looked, The Fortress body shape was still available as a Custom order (so I guess it'd be Team or Masterbuilt, then) 

Prices were predictably ludicrous.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Love the shape of these but me and Warwick’s don’t get on so we’ll 😞

What do you not like about them?

I've had 3 and still own 2. 

Generally,  they're pretty good.

The neck profiles aren't for everyone, the J-A-N 2 was a complete mis-step, and my experience of the newer  (Warwick)  tuners hasn't been great. 

Couldn’t fault the build quality (apart from the JAN2 which you mentioned), it was mainly the ergonomics. The neck was thrown too far left for comfort for my liking. I had a corvette followed by a thumb, decided not to risk take 3 on the fortress as I’d lost more money than enough on the first 2.

Edited by martthebass

Ah..

Totally agree with the Thumb. That 1st fret feels like it's a mile away. Less so for the Corvette. My Infinity isn't great in that respect either. 

The Streamer suffers less, but the Fortress is fine.  That big top horn pulls the body back towards your right-hand side, and there's no dive either. 

• Like 2

I still regret selling a 1993 corvette 5 I had from new. Bought it from the Bass Centre in Birmingham. Lovely bubinga top and wenge neck. A bit later I had an active circuit added by overwater too.

if anyone owns it now, please let me know - I can’t afford to buy it back but it would be great to hear it’s still getting used!

Lovely find! My Streamer LX4 has that same colour, but high gloss. I love it.

The Fortress was their only model with the splitcoil in the regular P position (and not reversed). Very nice! 

What preamp is in there, @Rayman? I don't think I've seen a Fortress with those controls before. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Lovely find! My Streamer LX4 has that same colour, but high gloss. I love it.

The Fortress was their only model with the splitcoil in the regular P position (and not reversed). Very nice! 

What preamp is in there, @Rayman? I don't think I've seen a Fortress with those controls before. 

Mate I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I haven’t spent any quality time with it yet…. I developed kidney stones earlier this week, and I’ve been in agony since! So hopefully I’ll get to it over the weekend. 

The details from the seller were, Volume, Blend and bass/treble controls, but as you can see they’re stacked knobs, so I need spend some time with it and figure it out. I haven’t touched a bass since last weekend…. so hopefully later.

• 3 weeks later...

So,

After the nasty surprise of discovering that this bass had a cheap Thomann onboard pre in it, that you can pick up for 25 quid online, I've ordered an Aguilar OBP1 to drop in there. I'm also switching back to TI flats, as they sound so fantastic on my Streamer.

What did we learn from this? When you go to pick up your new purchase, take off your rose tinted spectacles and give it a full and careful once over, to make sure it is what you think it is, and that there are no nasty surprises hidden away. Thankfully the bass is absolutely lovely, despite the poor choice of upgraded (!?!) pre, and once fitted with the Aguilar, I'm sure it'll be even better.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 13:54, martthebass said:

Couldn’t fault the build quality (apart from the JAN2 which you mentioned), it was mainly the ergonomics. The neck was thrown too far left for comfort for my liking. I had a corvette followed by a thumb, decided not to risk take 3 on the fortress as I’d lost more money than enough on the first 2.

I couldn't get on with the Fortress I had for a while either - I found the way it sat on me a bit weird too. I also wasn't enamored with the sound either, but I think that's my taste rather than a problem with the bass.

Beautiful bass, just not right for me.