Why become a member? ×

Cookies

Silvia Bluejay

Question

I get this message when I log on:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.

Well, I don't want that to happen. I don't want this website to share any information about my use of this site with your partners. But I'm only offered a button called "Got it!", so I can't deny permission. I'm not sure this is legal in the UK?

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If you mean the install basschat - that is the thing that Ped did about 6 months ago so that you could put basschat on a desktop icon - it has nothing to do with this current stuff.

I am enlightened, just need to determine how to remove the menu entry.

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Why would you want to adjust them?, there’s not a permanent tag on any other site I go on, and I go on lots 

I thought people wanted control over Ezoics. The tab, presumably, is meant to make this easy to access rather than having to hunt through a menu.

It's overkill, but not an unreasonable response given how reluctant many users appeared to be to adopt a solution requiring following a menu to adjust cookie settings.

On 30/08/2023 at 22:53, Silvia Bluejay said:

I get this message when I log on:

Well, I don't want that to happen. I don't want this website to share any information about my use of this site with your partners. But I'm only offered a button called "Got it!", so I can't deny permission. I'm not sure this is legal in the UK?

Follow the manage settings button. It's accessible from the Orange Tab.

On 31/08/2023 at 14:34, Woodinblack said:

I would add here, about cookies, I have never understood the problem with cookies for site specific cookies - I mean there isn't a shopping site or general internet site that would work without them, while agreeing wholeheartedly about internet wide cookies for advertising. I am not a fan of those but I know  the site has to get money somehow, I know there are people saying I am happy to contribute more, but there was a banner for months and it didn't happen really. But I don't know anything about the finances.

The only cookie that I know anything about in this change is a cookie from a plugin on this site, which tells the ezoic gateway whether you are a member or not, to ensure that they don't get adverts on the page. Yes, there could be a different way of doing that but I was too busy to rewrite pages, so it was an easier way that others could get on with stuff. if you look in your cookies, you will see it as the one starting ips4_ezoic.... You can remove it, and then you get adverts, which I assume people also want to block.

There do seem to be a load of ezoic cookies, whcih I haven't seen before and obviously something to do with their advert system. I am not sure why they have to exist if you are a supporting member, but I haven't really dealt with much of this stuff.

Then there are a load of forum ones that the site doesn't work without - the ones that say what view you are in, what your last page was, what your session is (so you can log in) and preferences for push notifications and the little orange flags up the top that say about new posts and loads more - obviously there are more of those than anything else. There are also a bunch of what are probably google and other search type ones.

None of that has changed, just the ezoic ones

So when people say they can't deal with cookies, I assume they mean the new ezoic ones?

Clearly if those things are very bad and you can't cope with them, then that has to come down to your choice

A month down the road, is there anything here you'd like to change?

• Haha 2

Although I was no longer getting the two banner ads at the top of the homepage I was getting a brief pop-up each time I logged in but it would disappear almost instantly and I would then have a grey bar across the bottom of my screen.  Refreshing the screen made that go away.  I still had 24 cookies onboard despite not allowing the Ezoic script to run.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Hi all, thanks for your feedback.  This is way more complicated than it was supposed to be.  I'm going to stop the trial. 

On a more serious note : in what way may the BC contingent assist with the necessary financing to keep the site popular and useful..? Do you have alternative suggestions, or would you like some..? There seems to be a consensus that most (all..?) members would lend an attentive ear to any proposals in that direction. Can we (the Members...) help..? :rWNVV2D:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

A month down the road, is there anything here you'd like to change?

No, because what I said at the time was factual. I haven't had any additional involvement in the cookie stuff and I don't really have any dealings with Ezoics, or trust them. But it clearly doesn't work like this.

But maybe it is in some way my fault for not having any actual involvement with the cookies being in as I stay out of finances and stuff. I am just here to fix stuff that goes wrong with the actual server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/09/2023 at 04:58, HornetPinata said:

I'm out.

I find this unacceptable and I'm not jumping through hoops to prevent being tracked.

Lots of good people here. Wish you all the best.

Well, I'm in again it seems as I might have found a setting in my browser that might make up for my lacking knowledge of these things. This sentence reveals my technical abilities btw. Plural is pushing it.

I did press "delete account" on my way out though but god knows what that did. It did not delete my account. There may have been a parting gift containing cookies. I'm glad it didn't delete it to be honest as this is a good forum by and of good people.

Happy to see owners and mods working on the issues and wanting to get rid of them. I've trusted this website and would like to continue to do so. As others have said I too could be willing to contribute with a little extra through the supporting membership. 

I'm not posting this do draw any attention to myself but it felt weird lurking here again and not saying anything. (edit:Yes, quoting myself also felt weird.)

Edited by HornetPinata
quoting myself