Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Many thanks for the votes for the July challenge, much appreciated.

As is my duty, for this month I have chosen the following photo.

"whilst a bit chill, it's almost like someone has stolen the fire from the sun... so maybe chilling ! "

bubble.jpg.900f7c8d773285562dd1effbfc194110.jpg

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, there was a truce worth noting this month, but we missed it!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for midnight on the 25th which means it will probably be sharpish on the 26th* 

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

* I may be away that weekend so I might have to lean on a dep to post the voting thread , but we'll see nearer the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• lurksalot pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent our non-rehearsal last Sunday reminiscing about Rebellion...

Hence a punky and slightly garbled musing on collective emotion and tribalism inspired by West Ham's theme tune!

Starring me on vox, Wal bass (Ampeg plug in), strat guitar (Bias FX), drum programming (Via EZ), rhythm sequence (Universal PolyMax). Mixed in Doblys and rolled in Ozone 9.

• Like 5

Here is my contribution to the August 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Lurksalot.
Yet another doomed effort to get away. It's not to be; the next awakening N° 6 will be back, once more, on The Island ...
Two sources here, trying to recreate what I remember of the 'key' elements of '70s 'Prisoner' themes, notably trombones and bongos. Tension-building 'radiophonic' stuff sets an oppressive ambiance, until the inevitable.
Philharmonik for the instruments, The Free Orchestra for the atmospheric sounds. My usual Cockos NY 'glue' with Reaper, of course; what else..?
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

Apologies on Mobile as ever…

https://on.soundcloud.com/mUfCXxZRY54xug4M7

Called it “Bubble Vs Bird”

A little bubble floats off on a summers day…happy and growing into a big strong bubble; a bird spots it and swoops to pop it…does it survive the chase? 

meh, I did some music - I’ve tried to squidge my idea into fitting with the picture…

recorded today, sponsored by courtesy car woe and hangovers.

• Like 4

Got some time tonight to put something together...

Everything is played on the Roland Jupiter X & includes me singing (thankfully through a vocoder).

Story: Alone & broken hearted, he sees the demon in the sky that took his love away.  The song is about the dark side of a beautiful day.

• Like 5

Everybody will agree, I'm sure, that the greatest of all the bubbles was a chimpanzee. Join the King of Pop's ghost on his journey through the nine circles of hell, trying to find his old pal.

The technical stuff, generally the same as usual, Yamaha drums through t-bone mics into a Behringer pre. Bass is an ESP 400 Series tuned AEAD into an Avid Eleven. Guitar is an Ibanez RG into a Fryette amp into a Palmer speaker emulator, tuned to a dropped A - AADGBE. Synths are in Reason, voice is Talkany and it's mixed in Protools.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 3

Some great tunes here once again. Alas, I think I'm going to miss this one - I have the idea but just got back from holiday to some unexpected business issues so can't see how I'm going to manage any playing or recording for some time...

I will enjoy listening!

• Sad 1

As per usual, I have the month's picture on my PC's desktop, as a constant reminder, and potentially source d'inspiration. I've been 'had' twice, now, in reaching for my aerosol of fly-spray, or a tea-towel to flick away the pesky fly bird at top right of the photo. :$

• Haha 2

I've done as much as I should and probably then, too much.

still, its a melancholy ditty , It was intended as slower but sounded very durgy , a veritable winding up of the BPM eventually found a compromise. 

I did think that there would be a race to the moon, to strip whatever minerals would make the most profit, and leave a transparent shell !

Technical ... as if!     EZ drummer , with my Ibby 6 string through some Waves Gtr3 patches , Fleabass through a couple of amp sims on Waves again , and an afterthought of piano which I probably shouldn't, still.

In Reaper with a polish of Ozone 8 

• Like 4

Here's mine, just. Holidays really get in the way of the recording process, don't you find?

I nearly went down the route that @Dad3353 took with his nod to The Prisoner, seeing as it's one of my faves (see my profile pic). However, I've swerved into a completely different direction.

A strange tale of being pestered by an annoying git who, for some reason, wants to ruin your day.

4 string cigar box guitar, 5 string guitar à la Keith Richards, cheapo Spider brand bass and MT drums. Recorded using Wavepad and Audacity.

Edited by upside downer
Words don't come easy
  • Like 2

Here is my entry.  I ran out of time and it's not exactly polished but it's been so long since I did anything that I thought it would be a shame to miss the deadline again.

The song title refers to Age Related Macular Degeneration - a progressive eye disease that my father suffered from which leads to loss of central vision.  I was also diagnosed with the condition but have since been given the all clear as the problem with my eyes is apparently quite a long way from the central vision area and is not progressing. The retinal scan that the opticians offer these days will pick up the problem if you have it although it was quite embarrassing sitting there with the Moorfields A&E consultant as he rang my optician to tell her she didn't know what she was doing with the scan.

Recorded in Cubase Elements 11 using Amplitube SVX bass amp simulator, Marshall simulations for the guitars and MT Powerdrums.  Apologies for my screechy vocals!

• Like 3

Hi folks! It has been a while! I wasn't all that bothered this month but I  suddenly felt the urge this afternoon. Another quickie,  Blackstar BEAM for guitar and bass, drums played with mallets for a change. 

Listen to Another Blue World.wav by Jules Moss on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/hsZKm

• Like 3

Ok I managed to grab a few minutes this evening, so I can field an entry put together in record time.

An introspective, ambient piano theme to relax you as you lay on your back watching the bubbles drift by through the deep blue sky.

The tech stuff: very light this month. The piano is from the Korg Trinity, reverb is from Lexicon MPX Native and Eventide's Shimmerverb, cooked together in Cubase 12.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wolfram said:

Ok I managed to grab a few minutes this evening, so I can field an entry put together in record time.

An introspective, ambient piano theme to relax you as you lay on your back watching the bubbles drift by through the deep blue sky.

The tech stuff: very light this month. The piano is from the Korg Trinity, reverb is from Lexicon MPX Native and Eventide's Shimmerverb, cooked together in Cubase 12.

Glad to see I'm not the only one doing it all at the last minute!